Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I think this is a subject none of us like to read or hear about

Anyway.

The missus own a BMW 1 Series 118 2019
Not M sport or spec
Bog standard three cylinder everyday use car
Its nothing special by a long shot

Owned from brand new with additional security
Garaged every evening and during the day when not required

Basically the exact same scenario as I do
Mine is always locked away with extra security. Its extremely rare mine sees daylight at the moment as Im using my mothers old car as she rarely leaves the house due to age, health risk/Covid restrictions

So the missus insurance expired yesterday and she received a renewal quote of £370 (bit high I think)
She phoned the company to pay in full only to be told the cost had rocketed to £800 with the excess also at £800

How in the name of all that is holy is this possible?

Getting other quotes online and all the same
Last year she paid £300

Eventually a reasonable policy was found last night but still expensive for her car and the job she does (NHS)

Am I right in thinking companies are getting or have got greedy and jumped up prices to cover losses due to Covid and people not using cars and laying up policies?

Car crime/general crime in our area is at an all time low
Except the usual stabbing or daily shooting with the usual drug deal going on in plain sight on every corner of a street and Paula the Bow legged Prostitute waving her bingo wings at every passing car while flashing her tree trunk corn beef effect legs, knockers hanging down to the beer gut roll up *** stained lips pouting kisses.

The police are doing a sterling job keeping crime down, not one day passed where on the hour every hour every day police cars are about with blue lights flashing sirens blaring
We even have the helicopter out three to four times a day. How much more safe can we be I wonder????
It must be so safe we dont have bobbies on the beat walking in local neighbourhoods, just driving or parked up. Mostly parked up looking at a mobile device of some sort so they are extremely hard working.
(West Yorkshire of course)

Funny enough though! The RS I have is cheaper for her to insure
How can that be?
But shes not having the RS.

The only thing thats changed is she declared lower miles per year and lowered the value of the car as its two year old so new price isnt realistic to declare
Four grand knocked off the new car price seems a fair estimate

This isnt fair in these difficult times and cost of living is hard enough

Come on all you insurance companies play fair
Im sure Dan from Adrian Flux will come on to clarify some things but AF is a broker.

So all of you with renewable insurance due, start looking or checking

·
Premium Member
3,150 Posts
they make no sense at times. A few years back when i went to 2 cars, it was cheaper for me to put all the NCD on the BMW estate rather than the Focus - and still the BMW was more expensive.

it is sometimes worth saying its not garaged.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Just changed the other half's 2018 golf r estate for a 2020 one, phoned the insurance up, which expires end of April to change over and originally they wanted £162 for basically 3 months, she only pays £290 for the year, got it down to £62 in the end but will be looking around when the time comes

·
Premium Member
1,721 Posts
I don't understand how the price can go up, if you have the renewal price.
I've never been told I have to pay more when phoning up, sometimes can get a bit bit off.
Thought a renewal price was fixed, up to the renewal date.

·
Premium Member
9,875 Posts
No loyalty these days sadly... :nope:

Been with Admiral Multi-Car for 8 years for convenience but I think I may switch to Aviva as they quoted me half of what Admiral did for the GR Yaris! :shocked: ...I'll move the RS & Kuga over to them I think... Used to go down years ago with experience and now insurance has gone weird and just goes up... :wacko: Damn uninsured ******* probably!! :rolleyes:

Good luck! :nice:

·
Premium Member
Mk2 MP350
3,005 Posts
I was quite impressed by how much they have reduced!

I paid £154.80 this year with Churchill via Confused.

They also throw in a £20 fuel card so effectively £134.80.

My insurance has consistently reduced year on year for a long time now.

·
Premium Member
2,351 Posts
I don't understand how the price can go up, if you have the renewal price.
I've never been told I have to pay more when phoning up, sometimes can get a bit bit off.
Thought a renewal price was fixed, up to the renewal date.
Exactly that. If the insurance company has issued a renewal price, they have to honour it, they can't increase it.
Also the best time to search for insurance is about a month before renewal date. At that point you will get the lowest quotes. As you get closer to renewal date, the quotes rise. If you are searching within days of renewal, premiums will be at their highest and quite frankly ridiculous. Insurance companies look on people who do a last minute search as care free and disorganized, they consider this will reflect on your driving and a higher risk.

When I got my RS, i moved up from a 4yr old Focus ST. Before i took delivery, I did an online quote with my insurer, Direct Line, to see how much my insurance was likely to be, it came out as around £100 extra, factoring in that I would be 3 months into my policy and they would likely charge an admin fee, I was happy with that amount. I was over the moon when I phoned them up to transfer the insurance over to the RS as they charged less than £16. For the next couple of years, Direct Line were cheaper than any quotes I could find, but last year, Direct Lines renewal had gone up around £300. I had already done my searches a couple of weeks before the renewal came through. About £10 more than what I had paid Direct Line in 2019, but with just £200 Excess, as opposed to the £250 excess and £350 voluntary excess i had with Direct Line. As i had also gone through Quidco cashback site and Confused.com for my quotes, I got £25 cashback, and £25 of Shell Nitro+.

But at the end of the day, the insurance company can't increase your renewal quote unless any circumstances have changed such as occupation, increased use, etc.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I currently pay £279 with Saga.....I went on confused the other day just for a nose. Cheapest quote was £178.....£400 excess.....windscreen....legal with RAC....that`ll do. :smile:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Also....a mate of mine, his insurance went down when he moved cos the vehicle was kept on the drive and NOT the garage. Some insurance companies class garaging as a risk as there`s a possibility of damaging the car :facepalm:

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
I never understand car insurance....focus came down...direct line....but my lad who was with admiral on his i30n went up to just over £1000....now with Hastings for 654...🤔🤔🤔

·
Vendor
280 Posts
Hi.

It's difficult to comment on this scenario I'm afraid. The only thing I can say is that in general car insurance has not increased by over 100% in the last 12 months. Maybe her last year's premium was incorrect for some reason.

Sorry I can be of more help.

Regards,

Dan.

·
Premium Member
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi.
It's difficult to comment on this scenario I'm afraid. The only thing I can say is that in general car insurance has not increased by over 100% in the last 12 months. Maybe her last year's premium was incorrect for some reason.
Sorry I can be of more help.
Regards,
Dan.
But it has increased over the last 12 months, question is by how much on average?

I bet it's way over the previous years

Is the increases to cover financial loss though Dan?
Not having a dig at you, but it seems morally wrong to increase premiums in these financial difficult times.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
With less cars on the road over the last year, resulting in less accidents and payouts, the premiums should be going down.
Agreed, however driving standards have got significantly worse imo; on the rare occasions I've been out on the roads recently, rarely a journey goes past without some person of little brain (muppet) driving at excess speed behind me and ending up glued to the rear bumper... 🤨😤

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Key is to shop around, swap and change each year, use more than one comparison site, start doing this a month before renewal is due, the sweet spot is about 2-3 weeks before the renewal date,

Tweak the occupation (keep it legal obviously) but there are differences between career designations (eg Software consultant and software engineer m- same job really, but may have an effect). Add and indeed remove named drivers, wifes insurance on the Q5 went down with me removed (59, 20+ years NCD - go figure), be accurate with the annual mileage too.

Basically just play these crooks at their own game, in the end they will all try and wriggle out of paying, or screw you over somehow. - Did I mention I don't like insurance companies?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts