Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,412 Posts
I just happened to come across this page today and thought that as points of law are often debated on here that people might like access to this information.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/road_traffic_offences_guidance_on_prosecuting_cases_of_bad_driving/

What is interesting is the section it is in and title but that's not the title of the article itself, which I used as the title of this thread.

Home » Prosecution Policy and Guidance » Legal Guidance » P to R » Road Traffic Offences Guidance on Prosecuting Cases of Bad Driving

if one goes back up a level to "P to R" then you can also see many other legal guides, including

Road Traffic Offences: Legal Guidance

Road Traffic Offences: Drink Driving

Road Traffic Offences: Guidance on Fixed Penalty Notices

Road Traffic Offences - Guidance on Charging Offences arising from Driving Incidents (formerly Bad Driving) - first link I posted

Road Traffic Offences: Transport Offences

and in the A section even
Anti-Social Behaviour Orders (ASBOs) on Conviction

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
I do wonder how many people are actually clued up on their highway code, offences, etc. The following in the "driving without reasonable consideration" section reminded me, "driving through a puddle causing pedestrians to be splashed", the number of times I have seen folks walking along the footpath next to the main road near where I live either getting a soaking from drivers who'd rather plough on through standing water near the kerbs at the same road speed they always drive at than show consideration to others. If you do slow down so as to reduce the bow wave so as not to reach the footpath, or be prepared to pause and wait for an opportunity to move onto the crown of the road then you typically get the next offender in the queue then flashing lights, which ironically is also in the driving without reasonable consideration list.

Given the reduction in physical police out there on the roads in recent years I assume the number of prosecutions for such offences is relatively low and the number of times you witness such inconsideration just highlights how society in general is becoming more impatient and less tolerant. Today is typically about "me me me" these days sadly.

·
Premium Member
11,412 Posts
I found this on Facebook. Courtesy of Patterson law motoring solicitors) see their website at http://www.pattersonlaw.co.uk/

Obviously touting for business, however some of the situational examples may help members, as I have seen many people talk about ignoring a NIP, in certain circumstances and the Facebook post references the link at the bottom, which may or not be run by legal professionals.

Go on then, if you want some law here it is... this website/advice is the bane of our life (dave276: I interpret this as the one at bottom of article). So so many people get themselves into deep trouble by 'rejecting the NIP'. Firstly the NIP is combined with a request for driver information, so if you reject it and refuse to engage you create a difference offence of 'failing to name the driver' which carries double the points of a minor speeding matter and around 8 x the fines and guess what? Failing to name the driver doesn't require the service of a compliant NIP. So you turn an offence with a 'potential' defence (if the NIP wasn't compliant) into an offence without a defence if you knew who the driver was. You don't 'reject a NIP'. If the NIP is defective the correct procedure is to name the driver, then reject the fixed penalty offer and take the speeding matter to court. You then make a preliminary argument at the start of a trial (after a not guilty plea) to try and rebut the evidential presumption of service that attaches to first class post. You then get your backside handed to you in fines and court costs if you don't succeed and possibly get more points if you've taken a a case to court where the speed is in the second or top bracket of the courts sentencing guidelines. Simples .... talk to us first and we will help you make decisions in the circumstances of your case. No pro-forma letters here and it's free....go to our website and ask a free question.. please share.

Dispute a Speed Ticket: NIP Sent in the Incorrect Time Frame
http://www.nopenaltypoints.co.uk/dispute-speed-ticket-nip-sent-incorrect-time-frame.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts