Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
Mk3 Focus RS,Nitrous Blue
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting a mk3 RS later on this year and noticed that if you get one registered before April 2017 the road tax £235 a year but if you get one registered after April 2017 it's only £145 which is what I pay for my 67 Reg ST ,that's a big difference in the running costs

·
Banned
1,227 Posts
Its less than £2 a week, but as the first owner I had to take a £500 tax hit to get the £145. The £235 car didnt get the £500 tax on the purchase new invoice.

·
Premium Member
Mk3 Focus RS,Nitrous Blue
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its less than £2 a week, but as the first owner I had to take a £500 tax hit to get the £145. The £235 car didnt get the £500 tax on the purchase new invoice.
That's the same as me had the £500 tax when new

·
Premium Member
5,683 Posts
In this year's budget there was mention that April 2017 onwards taxation to be looked into?

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-8101177/Car-tax-proposal-buried-Budget-drivers-pay-2-000.html

Could end up that the Pre April 2017 cars have the cheaper tax.

Hope the link works, I saved the article.
Every time they change it there's always this sort of rumour - ultimately they decide against it because you've bought in "good faith" based on the system in place at the time, you expect it to go up by the normal £5 or £10 a year - but whacking someone with a £2k bill per year for what would be a 5yr old car by the time they get round to it would be extremely bad form.

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts
Every time they change it there's always this sort of rumour - ultimately they decide against it because you've bought in "good faith" based on the system in place at the time, you expect it to go up by the normal £5 or £10 a year - but whacking someone with a £2k bill per year for what would be a 5yr old car by the time they get round to it would be extremely bad form.
Highly unlikely it will be imposed on existing cars, it would only likely happen to brand new cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts