Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,256 Posts
What happens to all the rubber and brake dust particles from cars when driving. We have heard a lot about VW not meeting emissions by releasing particles into the air but are there any regulations about other car contaminates getting into the atmosphere. When you drive along motorways you must be breathing in a ****tail of poisonous dust and fumes as I have only ever heard of pollen filters so not sure you would be protected from other contaminates. Of course car brakes were made of asbestos, I seem to remember workshops in the past blowing the dust from brakes with an air line.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
We probably just breath it all in , or it sticks to the roads , the particals must be really tiny and fine and maybe just float up into the atmosphere, I don't think we can get away from it or any pollutant really, I had to go to a factory where they make sweeteners in tablet form and powder and it want until I got home that I noticed I was covers in fine dusty type surgery stuff it was over everything. I dread to think what we breath in without knowing :eek:/

·
Premium Member
Dave - PB Mk2 2009 - 1 Owner ME.
11,443 Posts
What happens to all the rubber and brake dust particles from cars when driving. We have heard a lot about VW not meeting emissions by releasing particles into the air but are there any regulations about other car contaminates getting into the atmosphere. When you drive along motorways you must be breathing in a ****tail of poisonous dust and fumes as I have only ever heard of pollen filters so not sure you would be protected from other contaminates. Of course car brakes were made of asbestos, I seem to remember workshops in the past blowing the dust from brakes with an air line.
Were made of is correct Roger.

I think you will find Asbestos is no longer allowed and yes there will probably be a EU or UN-ECE regulation for Brake linings, which probably also takes into account the effects of particle separation from the linings, Disk brakes being more of an issue than Drum I would have thought.

I would expect that the Pollen filter fitted to Ford cars would trap those particles as well, i am not 100% sure though.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Dread to think of the rubbish we breath in to be honest.

Remember we were in a bit city in India a few years ago and its another level though, when you can actually see the smog you're inhaling it really makes you realise.

Sure I read somewhere too that there was some guy who had the idea of basically sweeping up the side of the road to get all the tiny particles of the precious metals that the cats from cars blow out. Might be a small amount in isolation but if you can get enough of it you might be onto something!

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Probably settles and gets washed away when it rains. That's why they say the road is the most dangerous (slippery) during the first 15 mins of rain because of the oils in rubber and the like from car tyres mixing with the water.

·
Brake Testing Legend
4,175 Posts
Probably settles and gets washed away when it rains. That's why they say the road is the most dangerous (slippery) during the first 15 mins of rain because of the oils in rubber and the like from car tyres mixing with the water.
That's reassuring to know :yep: So we end up drinking it instead of breathing it in :facepalm:

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I've never really thought about what you breath in, but I've been in some mucky factories in China, might start wearing a full face mask out there

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.