Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

I have done a search on here and on google, but cant find anyone else with the same problem.

Frequently, when I try to engage reverse, I can move the gear stick to the correct location but it just wont engage reverse gear, a bit like I havent lifted the collar on the gear stick, even though I don't have the collar to lift.

I can sometimes rectify this by selecting 3rd, roll forward a bit then try for reverse and sometimes, I am successful

I am hoping this is a problem which has been encountered and that there is a remedy.

Possibly a separate issue, When driving, clutch up, I have a rattly noise coming from the gearbox.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated

·
Premium Member
30,007 Posts
Cheers, any further advice on adjusting the bowden cables

I thought something may need adjusting and I thought I could cheat and use a short shifter to sort it out, unfortunately it made no difference to the non selection of reverse.
Not sure tbh, they may just need greasing up if they or the balljoints on the linkages have gone dry.

If you search 'bowden cables'. there's a few threads about them that may relate to your problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure tbh, they may just need greasing up if they or the balljoints on the linkages have gone dry.

If you search 'bowden cables'. there's a few threads about them that may relate to your problem.
Cheers

I have just found something regarding a solenoid which is at the base of the gearstick - need to find more info about this, what it does and how it works etc

·
Registered
Dave - PB Mk2 2009 - 1 Owner ME.
14,995 Posts
Check whether it has a short shifter fitted, search for bryshifter on the forum.

If you have it might have worked loose and need adjusting.
Cheers

I have just found something regarding a solenoid which is at the base of the gearstick - need to find more info about this, what it does and how it works etc
Check out the electrical diagrams.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers, I will have a look at this also
I think it's just a purge of the clutch system, or, a clutch master cylinder problem.
Start by first purging the clutch. This is the diagnosis given in the Ford Repair Manual.
On second thoughts, if I needed to purge the clutch, surely I would be having issues with all gears.

To me, when I can not select reverse, it feels like a synchro ring is not lined up and I physically cant select reverse.

Is the ford repair manual available to view online or download ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
2009 mk2 Ford Focus RS
3,418 Posts
I wonder if that solenoid has something to do with when you have the ABS wire fault that makes the display show traction control light and ----- on mileage display. This stops you moving the lever across to engage 5th/6th IIRC.

Cheers

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wonder if that solenoid has something to do with when you have the ABS wire fault that makes the display show traction control light and ----- on mileage display. This stops you moving the lever across to engage 5th/6th IIRC.
According to the info within the above pdf, the solenoid activates at a certain speed to stop you from selecting reverse, when you slow down and under a certain speed, the solenoid deactivates and reverse can be engaged.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts