Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Right, my reversing camera has been flickering, it started as a very occasional fault, and has become more and more frequent to the point where it's almost always flickering.

I believe my reverse switch is fine as my parking sensors and reverse light work as expected, it's just the camera that flickers.

So, I've ignored it for long enough, I need to investigate and try and fix the issue.
What are the steps of things to check?

I'm going to check to see if each of the 4 parking sensors are working, as i'm sure i've read that this might cause issues (it's a simple enough test to perform and can be something i can rule out)

Once i've done that, where do I begin? Are their any common issues?

It's strange, as I'd say my camera doesn't work 95% of the time, it just flickers all sorts on the Lux 2 screen. But then occasionally, on hotter days and historically after a wash (with snow foam), the camera would work. Then, as of more recently, the camera status didn't change after washing.

I wonder if water is getting in anywhere? If so, where?

I'm really hoping its a loose connection or something, as from what I remember, the hardware is quite expensive to change :(

Is there any aftermarket camera we can use to replace the standard one?

EDIT: Going to give this a go as my first port of call me thinks

http://www.focusrsoc.com/forums/topic/44297-guide-reverse-camera-removalrepair/#entry705793

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Water can ingress very easy behind the camera
Spent a good hour or so searching various forums, so i'm going to have a crack at this some time (probably saturday before I can get at it)

Hopefully if i can get the camera apart, dry it out and properly seal it again, i might have saved it before it's too late and have to buy a new one (I'm seeing posts saying they're the best part of £300? :cry:)

What do we use to replace the rivets? Just nuts/bolts?

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
I found the problem on mine to be the plug and socket connection behind the boot panel, I have unplugged, sprayed a bit of silicone spray in the socket, plugged back together and it's all good for about 6 months.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found the problem on mine to be the plug and socket connection behind the boot panel, I have unplugged, sprayed a bit of silicone spray in the socket, plugged back together and it's all good for about 6 months.
By boot pannel, do you mean the big black plastic bit?

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
The trouble with electrical parts is once they get wet. They start to corrode. You can try n dry it out if it is the problem. But corrosion will start

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I think I might have fixed it, I went with Mark's suggestion

Two screws, popped off the boot hatch liner, unplugged the camera and plugged it back in again after giving the connections a good blow (it always worked on my SNES, N64 and Sega :rofl:). Checked for loose wires and there was none but give all the plugs a good push to make sure they're seated properly. Reassembled and it worked a charm.

I just hope it lasts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Only thing i've noticed is that the Red/Orange/Green lines don't always appear straight away? Is this is the sign of a residual problem?

·
Longest Serving Club Member
3,360 Posts
Give the tailgate a slam shut.

I had the flickering screen on my previous Blue RS, looked on here and a post (cant find it at the mo) said to give the tailgate a firm shut. Low and behold, it worked a treat !!

Dont ask me why it worked though :unsure:

·
Administrator
49,107 Posts

I had the flickering screen on my previous Blue RS, looked on here and a post (cant find it at the mo) said to give the tailgate a firm shut. Low and behold, it worked a treat !!

Thanks Lee , this is probably why mine flickers occasionally , I never slam the tailgate shut . :nice:

·
Registered
1,544 Posts

Posted that one a few times, given it from RSD, although I think perhaps they wanted to save some camera money as I was under warranty :laughing:

I suspect they are like TV's from the 90's, give it a bang and all is cured.

·
The Custard Kid
MK3 Focus RS
9,068 Posts
@Daryl

I agree, I'm going to tackled that next as when I had a look it today there was condensation on the inside of the lens! :cry:
yeah with the worse coming i would look for remedy asap, mine is done i need to replace mine (cracks) and mine is a garage queen :blink:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.