Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys had a little engine problem and would like to see what people think is better ? Engine rebuild or new engine ? What's sort of costs can I be looking at ?
Thanks

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
As said all depends on the problem. 9 times out of 10 you can rebuild. But if you have snapped timing belt causing smashed valves smashed pistons and the valve heads in bedded in the head then it's new engine

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
If it was me I would seriously look at the cost of a new engine. I'm no expert but is there much difference in cost between a rebuild (factoring in labour, parts etc) and the cost of a new engine (also including labour etc)? What caused the engine to overheat Mathew?

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
With a big over heating, you have alway a risk of distorsion on the block.

But, a new engine is very very expansive.

I think a second hand engine is the better way.

And you have several parts of your old engine that you can sell.

Claude.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Something went on the engine and all the water mixed in to the Pistons so I'm guessing a seal went, £200 for a rebuild not sure about a second hand engine

·
Registered
514 Posts
Well I know at SCC it's £2500 for a forge engine build. Second hand engine could be had but you don't know how that engine has been treated.
If it's a rebuild I'd go forged rods and Pistons.

Also changing the engine would mean the engine number would be different, would need to get it changed on the v5 if you can. I think???

It's all down to how much you want to spend. Cheap isn't always the best.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
No expert but can't you have head and block skimmed if the bores are ok
Probably not, the compression ratio would be affected raising it too high.

Need to check how badly warped it is but could mean new or 2nd hand head would be required

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
My bad, ally block with liners. Even so, the head will be more susceptible to warping due to the stresses upon it

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
As said all depends on the problem. 9 times out of 10 you can rebuild. But if you have snapped timing belt causing smashed valves smashed pistons and the valve heads in bedded in the head then it's new engine
I have actually done this a few months after a forge rebuild. Aux belt snapped and got caught up and snapped the cam belt tensioner causing the belt to jump teeth. Bent all the valves and smashed the Pistons. Had to have another full rebuild.
Sorry to hear this Mathew, I know how u are feeling. Maybe this is your change to get it forged. Don't supose u live in swansea do u? Just a few comments a while back seen a yellow rs around in that area.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yer not good spending all that money and having to do it again, feel for you 😓 no I'm not from Swansea I'm afraid, hope there's not to many yellows out there lol think I'm going to go with the forged parts but trying to not get ripped off at the min but that's for all you help guys

1 - 20 of 21 Posts