Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hello,

Decided to start addressing some slight surface rust on the rear subframe today, didn't take any before pictures because the rust wasn't really bad but wanted to get it sorted before the weather turns again.

So the process was to wire brush the worst of the rust off and I then applied 2 coats of Jenolite rust converter which neutralises the rust.

Next I applied 3 coats of Bonda rust primer with zinc to further protect from rust.

Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exhaust Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Car Light Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Finished pics applied 2 coats of por 15 chassis coat as per a few recommendations.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Car Automotive lighting White Automotive tire Light Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Car

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Great looking job there,

I was planning doing mine over the winter but thought on taking it off and getting powder coated maybe

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great looking job there,

I was planning doing mine over the winter but thought on taking it off and getting powder coated maybe
Thanks, that's the best solution to the problem really, tbh the finish I got on the primer surprised me as it is quite smooth so don't want to ruin it with a lumpy looking top coat.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Looks good I'm currently researching the best products for this as need mine doing before winter, may well go with these products now! Was going to use por 15.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks good I'm currently researching the best products for this as need mine doing before winter, may well go with these products now! Was going to use por 15.
Literally just been looking at por 15 on youtube and seems a great long lasting top coat and seems to go on well, hopefully they have it in a satin or matt black so might give that a go.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I used pot 15 on the inner arches of my sisters shogun. Lasted substantially better than the factory paint and looked pretty smooth.

·
The Custard Kid
MK3 Focus RS
9,067 Posts
Great effort so far looking forward to seeing the end result.

My advice is if you can that is remove and get it blasted then powder coated.
But also apply acf 150.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Central powder coating in Birmingham.

They strip and powder coat in any colour you want......... Stupidly cheap ........ Top notch job.

They powder coat anything!!!!

·
Premium Member
High-miler MR420
2,093 Posts
+1 for Frosts, the other consideration is the inside edges/cavities, which will need some Dinitrol (other products may be available...)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone, used the por 15 chassis coat as suggested and it came out well and looks a little neater until it can be powder coated, pics added to the 1st post.

·
Registered
795 Posts
How in gods name did you manage to get that so neat,lol i did my tvr chassis in por 15 years ago and i got paint everywhere. Keep up the good work im thinking of painting my inner arches think i will use the blue por 15 topcoat ☺

1 - 20 of 24 Posts