Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of the remains for the mk2 offer a quiet cold start option? I know you can get it on other cars like the audi rs4. It doesn't hold the idle speed up as high for as long

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah. It just means that the idle speed drops straight onto normal as apposed to holding at around 1500 for 30 seconds or so. It something they put in to warm the cat up on cold start

·
Registered
180 Posts
I start mine in the garage and drive it out almost straight away and leave it to idle while I shut the doors in garage.
I have to do this or it will wake up all the towns within a 15 mile radius with the booming echo inside the garage.
Anyway it continues to idle high for about 20 seconds or so once it's out the garage.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine sounds thunderous in the garage, wonderful, if you want a quiet car I would suggest a non RS alternative.
Well unfortunately I'd love to take you're brilliant opinion. But I start work at 5am everyday and my Rs is a daily driver not one sat in a garage getting rubbed with a soft cloth

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
The only other option is to put a standard exhaust system on. There ain't any other way of making it quiet. Luckily I have a work van so the RS stays at home. But I do love it when it starts up from cold. The noise is immense. Sod having a KMS system though as I don't think I'd like that

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't think that's the only other option, that's why I ask if any of the tuners offer this in their remaps. But I'm guessing now that's a no!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't think the exhaust is a major issue tbh. I'm using a standard cat back with a 3 inch down pipe and decat, and this howls when it's on the cold start fast idle and is nearly silent on tickover. And this seems to be the case with any exhaust. Even the loudest of the loud are fairly quiet at idle speed

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had a single silencer mongoose and changed to a section 59, both were running with a 3" down pipe and standard cat.
I have fitted a decat and the 59 is very loud now, on warm idle it's ok and crawling around at 50 mph or so it's ok but take it on a duel carriageway and it's a pain in the ears after a while, drones like mad.
I want a miltec as soon as I can afford one

·
Registered
394 Posts
It's the decat that's making the noise. Swap to a sport cat and it quietens it down a fair bit. That's what i had to do as i was close to getting lynched by the neighbours

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had a single silencer mongoose and changed to a section 59, both were running with a 3" down pipe and standard cat.
I have fitted a decat and the 59 is very loud now, on warm idle it's ok and crawling around at 50 mph or so it's ok but take it on a duel carriageway and it's a pain in the ears after a while, drones like mad.
I want a miltec as soon as I can afford one
What was the standard mongoose like against the 59

1 - 20 of 36 Posts