Focus RS Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 mk2 Ford Focus RS
2,563 Posts
The Fiesta carries very little to no profit in sales, which makes a Fiesta RS uneconomical to develop and build. They would be overly expensive or sold at a loss.
The Puma would be more likely to turn a profit and being larger could be sold at a higher price.
It seems strange the Fiesta makes no profit, it was almost at the top in the UK for sales.
I am sure the RS model will make a profit. Of recent times, it is only the mk1 Focus RS made a loss

·
Premium Member
23,703 Posts
It seems strange the Fiesta makes no profit, it was almost at the top in the UK for sales.
I am sure the RS model will make a profit. Of recent times, it is only the mk1 Focus RS made a loss
I agree, the only reason Ford won't make a Fiesta RS, is because it will take sales away from the Fiesta & more likely the Focus ST.

The fact it is built in Germany with higher costs is rubbish as an excuse.

Where was the Focus RS built? Oh yes, Germany.

Yes, the mk1 lost money, the mk2 broke even but the mk3 made a profit even at the base launch price of £29k.

Surely, even with inflation, a Fiesta RS with say 275 bhp, awd, different wheels & bumpers, interior & a splattering of RS badges could be made for around £28k?

May sound a lot but a fully loaded Fiesta ST is around £24k? (I'm guessing there)

Toyota seem to have lots of customers for their GR with from seen on here, customers Ford have lost.

·
Premium Member
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I agree, the only reason Ford won't make a Fiesta RS, is because it will take sales away from the Fiesta & more likely the Focus ST.

The fact it is built in Germany with higher costs is rubbish as an excuse.

Where was the Focus RS built? Oh yes, Germany.

Yes, the mk1 lost money, the mk2 broke even but the mk3 made a profit even at the base launch price of £29k.

Surely, even with inflation, a Fiesta RS with say 275 bhp, awd, different wheels & bumpers, interior & a splattering of RS badges could be made for around £28k?

May sound a lot but a fully loaded Fiesta ST is around £24k? (I'm guessing there)

Toyota seem to have lots of customers for their GR with from seen on here, customers Ford have lost.
Ford haven't made a profit on the Fiesta (or at least in the UK) since production ceased in the UK. Just because it sells in vast numbers doesn't mean it makes a profit, they are in the main part heavily discounted.
The Focus maybe built in Germany like the Fiesta, but it is a larger vehicle. Once a vehicle goes into production, the production costs are almost identical. A Focus can be built for the same cost as a Fiesta, the Focus commands a higher price being a larger car, making it easier to make a profit. Likewise with a Mondeo, production costs, similar to a Fiesta, much bigger car, much bigger profit. Build the vehicles in countries where costs are lower and the profits increase further.

Japan will have much lower costs, even any import costs don't impede on profits to that extent.
The Fiesta ST Performance Edition starts at £28,770, so an RS is going to be over £30k, probably starting at £32k where the Focus RS was 4yrs ago.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Ford don’t make any decent performance cars anymore and tbh they don’t seem bothered anymore is it influenced by America ? They churn out mustangs for the yanks but Europe gets bland dull ST cars
also why don’t ford offer a decent twin clutch gearbox ?
other car manufacturers seem to still want to build performance cars Toyota ,Hyundai and VW

ford need to wake up and remember what made them great race on Sunday sell on Monday

rant over lol

·
Premium Member
23,703 Posts
Ford don’t make any decent performance cars anymore and tbh they don’t seem bothered anymore is it influenced by America ? They churn out mustangs for the yanks but Europe gets bland dull ST cars
other car manufacturers seem to still want to build performance cars Toyota ,Hyundai and VW

ford need to wake up and remember what made them great race on Sunday sell on Monday

rant over lol
It's sad, over the last 30 years, there has always been a Ford in their line up that I would fancy owning (not that I ever took the plunge, the mk2 Focus RS was my 1st brand new car), but since the mk2 Focus, maybe a mk7 Fiesta as a daily.

After two mk8 Fiestas as courtesy cars, I was very unimpressed with the build quality & wouldn't own one, which leaves absolutely nothing in the Ford line up that I would even give a second look.

So to sum up, there has been nothing since 2016 that I would buy from Ford. 😡

·
Premium Member
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

rant over lol
It has nothing to do with America, but all to do with emissions and how much they get fined for producing cars with high CO2 output and how that affects their average CO2 output as a range.

It's not just America that gets the Mustang, we get it too. ;)

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
It has nothing to do with America, but all to do with emissions and how much they get fined for producing cars with high CO2 output and how that affects their average CO2 output as a range.

It's not just America that gets the Mustang, we get it too. ;)
I understand that it’s about CO2 and surely all the USA muscle cars and trucks take up the Ford allocation of the CO2 allowance
we get mustangs we don’t really want we want performance cars

·
Premium Member
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I understand that it’s about CO2 and surely all the USA muscle cars and trucks take up the Ford allocation of the CO2 allowance
we get mustangs we don’t really want we want performance cars
The fleet average CO2 limit is just 95g. Manufacturers are fined for every gramme they are over that limit. The fine is 95€ for every car sold. So if a manufacturer has a fleet average of 96g and sells 500k cars, that is a fine of approximately €50million. That is a hell of a lot of performance cars to sell just to offset the fine that they have created.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts