Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did this a while ago but I recently helped someone do their brakes so I thought I'd share this. When I decided to do mine I obviously went to YouTube for my research but found that every video I watched the person never in my opinion prepared the calliper a properly to insure good paint finish and adhesion, the last thing I want is for the paint to peel after a couple of months.

There's only 4 things you need,

Wonder wheels (that very acidic wheel cleaner)
Hose pipe (to rinse acid from any splashing)
A corded drill
Wire drill attachments
Automotive tire Tire Font Rim Circle
(http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0032ZK41K/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1443804552&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=Wire+drill+bits&dpPl=1&dpID=51rjD0Dp9AL&ref=plSrch#immersive-view_1443804570996)

Basically you brush on the acid to cover the area to be cleaned and leave to work for a couple of minutes. Then using the drill and attachments, being careful to avoid rubber parts and wires, grind the crud away to reveal the clean and bare metal beneath. You may need to use the hose to rinse off the calliper or body work if the acid splashes off (very rare thankfully)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Dave - PB Mk2 2009 - 1 Owner ME.
11,443 Posts
Great write up Stuart.

Those calipers look awesome after the clean without painting.

If you are near Essex you can do mine for me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Got my new wire brushes on order and will have a go at cleaning when i get home next week. Thanks for the post Staurt.

You got any pics after painting..??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.