Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I know many people have ordered the Forged wheels, I have been doing a bit of research on the refinishing to a different colour. I have spoken to a friend who also does powder coating and there may be some issues. The following article explains in a bit more detail:

A word of caution regarding the powder coating of aluminum.

Forged alloy wheels are desirable because they are known to be both strong and lightweight. To achieve these characteristics, they are typically manufactured from 6061-T6 grade aluminum. At some time during the manufacturing process this alloy must undergo a two-step thermal process in order for it to attain the desired mechanical properties, which include high strength and resistance to fatigue. These thermal processing or heat treating steps are known as solution treatment (985°F) and artificial aging (350°F). With forged 6061 aluminum, the artificial aging step requires the material to be held at 350°F for about 8 hours.

The majority of powder coating materials require a cure temperature ranging from 300 to 400°F with a cure time of about 1 hour. Since this overlaps the temperature of the artificial aging step, the powder coating process has the potential to "overage" the aluminum causing embrittlement and reduced fatigue life.

Recent advances in powder coating compounds have brought about lower cure temperatures of 250°F. These new powder coating compounds are more desirable, since they do not impact the prior thermal processing steps for heat treatable alloys such as 6061-T6 aluminum.

When considering powder coating of heat treatable aluminum alloys (6000 and 7000 series), it is always advisable to confirm that the temperature of the part will not exceed 300°F. Ignoring this fact may result in a sudden and unexpected failure of a critical component. A critical failure in a forged alloy wheel could ruin not just one, but possibly the rest of your days.

Before allowing someone to powder coat your forged aluminum wheels, ask them to use a lower cure temperature (250°F) compound and to maintain the temperature below 300°F at all times while they are processing your wheels.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
I haven't looked into it in much detail but for me I think I'll be having my painted and not powder coated :yep:

As said in parts about, I'm not a fan of heating the wheels back up to some of the temps needed for the powder coating process... and although the paint is seen as easier to chip, paint now have a far better and more durable finish than it used to... and if you get a little chip/mark they are far easier to have touched up :nice:

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I haven't looked into it in much detail but for me I think I'll be having my painted and not powder coated :yep:

As said in parts about, I'm not a fan of heating the wheels back up to some of the temps needed for the powder coating process... and although the paint is seen as easier to chip, paint now have a far better and more durable finish than it used to... and if you get a little chip/mark they are far easier to have touched up :nice:
Went to see my well respected body shop about painting the wheels. They use an oven as well to cure the paint! Need to find out the temperatures now! Otherwise I will be spray painting with a can of Halfords 'sparkle silver' to be safe :rofl:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Went to see my well respected body shop about painting the wheels. They use an oven as well to cure the paint! Need to find out the temperatures now! Otherwise I will be spray painting with a can of Halfords 'sparkle silver' to be safe :rofl:
I would go for the can of sparkle silver mate.....not only are you gonna save loads of money but your gonna get so much attention when you go to your local morrisons car park at night for your weekly meet....you will be the envy of the corsa/saxo guys boys. :nice:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts