Focus RS Forum banner
301 - 312 of 312 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #301 ·
As above really mate, I had a MAF (or possibly 2) replaced in my time and they are straight forward with headlight out. Beware some aftermarket intercoolers have a different threaded bolt than OEM and a small spacer ring. Make sure you swap it over and don't drop it (from memory the mp350 had an intercooler) also a small spot of anti size paste on o-ring and bolt if cooler is in fact (pro)alloy 👍💪👍
Cheers Webby, good shout on the paste for the o-ring and bolt; I still have some from the stash that you sent to me! 👍🏻😎Hope you are well mate 👌

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #302 ·
The new sensor should arrive today, not sure if I'll have time to fit it later as I'm going away for a few days with Mrs G, but will see how it goes!

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #303 ·
Ok, the new sensor is installed, however the fan still runs as soon as I start the car and the cold start sequence doesn't seem to be quite right. I cleared the fault code but it's still showing... Any ideas from anyone? I'm quite certain that the new sensor is installed correctly, could it be fuse related?

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #304 · (Edited)
Just pulled fuse 26, and as seems to be the norm on the other threads of this nature on this forum, fault code has gone and things are starting to look promising... will run the car later to find out! I shall report back... 🤞🤞

On a separate note, I managed to drop the screw that secures the fuse box lid UNDER the bloomin fuse box! 🙄 Fortunately I have a flexible magnet thingy in the tool box and managed to retrieve it! I also broke one of the mounting brackets on the headlight as I was relocating it, so need to order some of those... I really shouldn't work on my car, I am clearly a liability! 😂The mounting bracket was obviously brittle due to age, so I'm not going to claim negligence on that one... 😜

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #305 · (Edited)
Well, just run the car up, and dare I say it, so far, so good... The temperature gauge was indicating an increase in temperature, the cold start was normal, the radiator fan wasn't running, and the fault code hasn't come back! So for the time being, all would appear to be well... 👍🏻😎I won't have the chance to give the car a proper run out for a while, but will check all is ok when I do.
I chucked in an air con bomb (Bilt Hamber sanitiser aerosol for the air con) whilst waiting for the oil temperature to increase, so the air con system should hopefully be clean for a while. 👍🏻

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #306 ·
Incidentally, any ideas why the fault code wouldn't reset (or disappear) despite hitting the reset button on the handset? It would appear that this fault code only disappeared once I had did the trick with the KAM fuse... 🤔

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
I would think the fault you were looking at that wouldn't clear would be a pending / current fault which would only be cleared when certain conditions are met ie when the sensor and ECU detect the sensor is now working correctly before it'll revert to a stored fault which you can erase. You've just tricked the ECU into doing a full reset of all the learnt values. (Well this is roughly how my product does it anyway)

Either that or your car is still fubar, simple really. 😂

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Cheers Webby, good shout on the paste for the o-ring and bolt; I still have some from the stash that you sent to me! 👍🏻😎Hope you are well mate 👌
All good thank mate, lovin the Collins map still and family ramping up for Christmas! Hows you and Mrs g, did you still get away with her after fitting the sensor?

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #309 · (Edited)
All good thank mate, lovin the Collins map still and family ramping up for Christmas! Hows you and Mrs g, did you still get away with her after fitting the sensor?
Good stuff! Yeah we're ok thanks, we're using our Nissan X-trail for the trip away so the RS is still tucked away 😜 Supposedly got a new job coming up next year that has my name on it, which will be amazing, but in the meantime , just got to be patient... 🙄Will give the RS a good run out when we get back and make sure all is well...

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #310 ·
I would think the fault you were looking at that wouldn't clear would be a pending / current fault which would only be cleared when certain conditions are met ie when the sensor and ECU detect the sensor is now working correctly before it'll revert to a stored fault which you can erase. You've just tricked the ECU into doing a full reset of all the learnt values. (Well this is roughly how my product does it anyway)

Either that or your car is still fubar, simple really. 😂
Ah ok, well I hope it's all ok, all the signs and symptoms were supposedly classic MAP sensor issues so it should be sorted, in theory... I was in two minds about whether to pull the KAM fuse; it's a bit 'bodgit and scarper' for my liking, and while I appreciate it has it's place, it didn't sit well with me. It's a bit like on some of our ships, some of the electrical gremlins can be 'resolved' by the technicians switching it off and back on again - my response to them is 'you're paid a lot of money to do what I could have done!' 😂

·
Super Moderator
BMW 1M
10,796 Posts
There's also the '3 start' influence to consider for pending codes. Depending on fault severity, some pending fault codes may not initiate a MIL until greater than 3 starts have been carried out.

301 - 312 of 312 Posts