Focus RS Forum banner
281 - 300 of 312 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 ·
Service no.12 done and dusted today, courtesy of my go-to garage in Southampton. Always a pleasure to give them my business, excellent service, professional and highly knowledgeable about all things Ford. It's also a bit of a treasure trove; a number of low mileage, as new old school RS Fords in storage there (owned by the garage), they also had a Moonstone Blue Sierra RS500 in the workshop - in for a gearbox rebuild!
MOT time next week, keeping fingers crossed for a clean pass... 🤞😜

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #285 ·
I forgot to mention, my Mk2 was the subject of some interest when it was in the garage for its service; a guy who turned out to be a friend of the garage owner walked in and was paying quite a bit of attention to my car. He was asking numerous questions, including 'is it for sale?' It turns out he runs a car dealership in the area, he gave me his card and said to call him if I ever decided to sell, even if it was in 5 years time! 😂

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #290 ·
Well that's another MOT done, the completely clean MOT record continues! 👍🏻😎 What is slightly alarming is that I only managed 2,164 miles since the last MOT. 2020 being what it was can be blamed for that... 🙄 That said, I'm sure there are some Mk2's out there that barely achieved 10% of that figure, so I shouldn't be too harsh on myself, right?! 😜

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Good news on the mot! Think mine still got advisories and it was a friend testing it (admittedly tyres for some reason 😂) as for milage I think I did more than half that in the forester last week! But that's the reason I'm glad the Mrs now has a practical car. It does keep the miles off the mk3! When I had my MK2 the Mrs had a glanza V (JDM starlet turbo) which was not really viable for a family holiday

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #292 ·
Evening all 👋🏻 Took the RS out for a run to my parent's house this afternoon, first run out in about a month - absolutely loved being out in it again, however... these cars DO NOT like sitting idle! I noticed nothing unusual on the drive to my parents, however on starting up to drive back home, the car didn't do its normal cold start routine, and the cooling fan appeared to start more or less straight away. On the way back, I noticed that the oil temperature gauge wasn't working. All other gauges appeared to be normal.
After a search on here, it appears that the prime suspect could be the MAP sensor. Anyone have any other ideas? I have started the ball rolling with ordering a new one however just curious to see if anyone has any other views...
If it is the MAP sensor, is it a case of jacking the front of the car up and taking the undertrays off or can it be done by going through the engine bay? I had a look online and found one Focus ST owner had made a video of a MAP sensor change (on an aftermarket intercooler), and all he did was take the offside headlight out and unscrew the sensor through the space left by the headlight; it seemed to take him all of about 10 minutes... Is it really that easy?! For the record, I have MT350 fitted so have a Mountune intercooler.

·
Premium Member
Mk2 RS 400
2,046 Posts
You can change the map sensor on an RS via the top by taking out the drivers side headlamp (it's in a slightly different place to the mk2 ST).

I notice with mine it does not like not being used, don't forget petrol goes off within 4 weeks and degrades thereafter, so that will not help.

Things like air con need to be regularly used, mine needs a gas top up (or re-gassing) as you can notice the system over working when it's turned on, this should be a regular service thing.

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #295 ·
Thanks gents 👍🏻The car is kept in a dry garage and when I know it's not going to be used for a while I do take all the usual precautions, tyres inflated to a higher pressure, battery conditioner hooked up, handbrake off etc, but it clearly wasn't a happy bunny this time when I took it out!

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #296 · (Edited)
@K30FUS re aircon and fuel, yup absolutely Keith, I always run the car for a good hour or so whenever it goes out, and that includes running the aircon etc for a good period, regardless of whether it's the winter or summer.
Edit: just plugged in a code reader, and funny old thing, error code P0110 popped up! I took the offside headlight off and had a go at accessing the sensor, seems straightforward enough 👍🏻

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Evening all 👋🏻 Took the RS out for a run to my parent's house this afternoon, first run out in about a month - absolutely loved being out in it again, however... these cars DO NOT like sitting idle! I noticed nothing unusual on the drive to my parents, however on starting up to drive back home, the car didn't do its normal cold start routine, and the cooling fan appeared to start more or less straight away. On the way back, I noticed that the oil temperature gauge wasn't working. All other gauges appeared to be normal.
After a search on here, it appears that the prime suspect could be the MAP sensor. Anyone have any other ideas? I have started the ball rolling with ordering a new one however just curious to see if anyone has any other views...
If it is the MAP sensor, is it a case of jacking the front of the car up and taking the undertrays off or can it be done by going through the engine bay? I had a look online and found one Focus ST owner had made a video of a MAP sensor change (on an aftermarket intercooler), and all he did was take the offside headlight out and unscrew the sensor through the space left by the headlight; it seemed to take him all of about 10 minutes... Is it really that easy?! For the record, I have MT350 fitted so have a Mountune intercooler.
This is what happens when you ignore the one you love... they have mood swings and start to annoy you!! Next thing you know she’ll be on the sofa.. or worse you on the sofa. Treat them as much as you can and you’ll be rewarded. Cars and women work in the same way I find but we love them 😂

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #299 ·
This is what happens when you ignore the one you love... they have mood swings and start to annoy you!! Next thing you know she’ll be on the sofa.. or worse you on the sofa. Treat them as much as you can and you’ll be rewarded. Cars and women work in the same way I find but we love them 😂
The voice of experience speaking there, I think... 😏 Totally agree! 👍🏻

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
As above really mate, I had a MAF (or possibly 2) replaced in my time and they are straight forward with headlight out. Beware some aftermarket intercoolers have a different threaded bolt than OEM and a small spacer ring. Make sure you swap it over and don't drop it (from memory the mp350 had an intercooler) also a small spot of anti size paste on o-ring and bolt if cooler is in fact (pro)alloy 👍💪👍

281 - 300 of 312 Posts