Focus RS Forum banner
261 - 280 of 312 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
A rare bit of spare time today to do some bufftying on the Mk2, got to grasp these moments when you can! 👍🏻😄
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Car Automotive design

Not the best pics but you get the idea... 😏

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
Evening all! So, I'm after a bit of help please...

As you may have seen in the preceding pages, I have the Ford Focus space saver wheel (brand new, with Pirelli tyre) and have had this in the boot for a number of years now. Earlier on I was just checking the pressure of the space saver, when I had a thought regarding the wheel nuts that should be used for this wheel. Basically, I'm in doubt as to whether I have the correct ones! I have got five Jaguar wheel nuts (M12 x 1.5) and I'm convinced that they're the wrong ones. I must have had a brain fart when choosing which ones to get; when looking at them, the pitch doesn't look right and they don't look as though they'll fit the Ford space saver. I know, the clue is in the name, right...! :laughing: :blush:

Can anyone advise me as to which ones I should have? I am not having much luck in identifying the correct nuts for the Ford wheel. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Thanks Mark. Are they fairly generic nuts then? If you have any details as to which ones you bought, that would be very helpful. 👍🏻😎
Pete, I bought them about 8 years ago, when I got the spare wheel, so can't remember where I got them from.
Think I got 20 nuts at the time, will have a look in the garage tomorrow. If I've got spares I can send you some.

·
Premium Member
23,467 Posts
I also have the standard steel 16" Ford space saver & the OE wheel nuts for the standard alloy wheels fit the space saver. Same with my Corsa, alloy wheels, steel spare, same nuts.

Any car that has alloy wheels & a steel spare, will always use the same nuts, they are designed to, otherwise there would be another set of nuts with the spare, which there never is! :wink:

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 ·
I also have the standard steel 16" Ford space saver & the OE wheel nuts for the standard alloy wheels fit the space saver. Same with my Corsa, alloy wheels, steel spare, same nuts.

Any car that has alloy wheels & a steel spare, will always use the same nuts, they are designed to, otherwise there would be another set of nuts with the spare, which there never is! :wink:
Oh ok, thanks Gareth, it certainly makes sense to use the OE wheel nuts for the space saver, just for some reason I was convinced that different ones were needed! Anyone want any Jag space saver nuts?! 😂👍🏻

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
Pete, I bought them about 8 years ago, when I got the spare wheel, so can't remember where I got them from.
Think I got 20 nuts at the time, will have a look in the garage tomorrow. If I've got spares I can send you some.
Thanks for the offer Mark, very kind of you, however it sounds as though I am barking up the wrong tree - from what Gareth says I should be fine with the OE nuts, which makes complete sense of course. 👍🏻

·
Premium Member
23,467 Posts
Oh ok, thanks Gareth, it certainly makes sense to use the OE wheel nuts for the space saver, just for some reason I was convinced that different ones were needed! Anyone want any Jag space saver nuts?!
Yeah Pete & to confirm the fact they fit, I had to use my space saver when I had a puncture a few years back. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #275 ·
Yeah Pete & to confirm the fact they fit, I had to use my space saver when I had a puncture a few years back. :thumbsup:
Thanks Gareth, much obliged 👍🏻😎I haven't had a cause to use mine, yet, however with a lot of the roads in this country resembling your average WRC stage, I'm sure it's only a matter of time... 😬

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
So, it's been a while, however the RS has spent a fairly considerable amount of time buttoned up in the garage over the last 4 or 5 months, however I'm happy to report that it's been used at least once a week recently, as the restrictions have eased. I've missed driving it a lot, so it was good to get out and about in it! It's faired well all things considered, no issues to report, and having it hooked up to the mains on a battery conditioner has done wonders.
That said, I managed to ding the wing mirror when I reversed out of the garage a week or so back, just down to a lapse in concentration. Fortunately, the only damage was a small chunk of plastic in the outer mirror surround, however I couldn't let it stay like that, so Andy at A&K Motorsport sorted me out with a new mirror unit. The mirror, mirror cover, indicator etc were all fine and so could be swapped over to the new unit.
Some photos of the process, for those that are interested:
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior

Automotive design Bumper Trunk Gadget Office equipment

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Trunk Automotive design

Automotive tire Tire Synthetic rubber Automotive design Automotive lighting

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wheel Helmet

Hand Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle

Automotive side-view mirror Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Hood Vehicle

A couple of points that may be worth considering by anyone who needs to do this sort of work - it's worth placing a rag or something similar at the corner of the door card just below the plastic speaker cover - I managed to drop one of the screws from the mirror securing arrangements down behind the door card - I retrieved it after some bruised knuckles and much swearing from loosening the bottom of the door card...
Finally, make sure you test the indicator, mirror swivel feature etc prior to putting all the trim back in place - I found that the main power connector had worked itself loose and there was no power to the mirror! Fortunately, I hadn't put the trim etc back together and could easily push the connector block back together.
It was a fairly straightforward process, however is a little fiddly at times - it just requires some patience more than anything.

I also took the opportunity to do some more waxing for the summer months...
Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

Automotive tail & brake light Grille Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Automotive design Motor vehicle Fixture Vehicle door Automotive exterior

Attachments

261 - 280 of 312 Posts