Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon gents,

My discs and pads are due a change front and back. Just purchased Cosworth pads all round, and I imagine I will go OEM discs when I get round to ordering them.

I would like to attempt changing these myself, and whilst at it, painting my calipers. I would also like to remove the arches and give a good clean behind these.

I have a few queries:

1. Does anyone have any PB pics of painted calipers - I am considering orange or bronze (but don't want it looking like brown!) Trying to avoid the popular red.

2. When cleaning behind the arches, does anyone have any tips on what to use, and what to put on to protect going forward?

3. How much of a job is it all, any problems to watch out for. Arch removal? Removing tight carrier bolts?

I have used the Search option and there are already some great guides, and I'm aware I will need new carrier bolts (do most get these directly from Ford), with some Locktight Blue and some copperslip.

I will probably attempt Front first, and then rear, and may get fluids and lines changed at next Service.

:thumbsup:

Neal

·
Registered
742 Posts
I got my Ford front and rear discs from A & k and my carrier to leg bolts from Ford, but A & K also stock them but I didn't know this at the time of ordering the discs.

The fronts are pretty easy to change . The carrier to leg bolts were very tight, but I undid mine with a torque wrench. The only major problem I had was getting the disc off the hub. A gentle tap with a sledgehammer freed them though.

John

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi Neal

Had my calipers painted a few months ago... I didn't do it myself so can't help much with your questions, but hopefully the pics might help you decide

I wanted to go against the norm and avoid the red too

Eventually decided on Electric Orange, as a nod to the ST :nice:

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm close to A&K, so will be giving them a bell when I get round to it - thanks for letting me know they supply the bolts too!

Like the Orange!! Looks different, and I think works with the PB.

I'm aiming for the sort of AMG look/colour....

CheeRS

Attachments

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
i have removed my inner arches to clean behind - dead easy. just undo the bolts and remove them in a oner. because mine is not a daily, i just cleaned with furniture polish. then used silicon spray (any back-to-black type product) on the liner itself to help stop the dirt sticking.

my calipers are red from the previous owner, but if i were doing it again, i'd go plain anodised

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well finally got round to giving them a coating of Burnt Copper, one side only mind - need to turn the car round in garage and attack the other side.

Pictures not great, but you get the idea - I'm quite pleased with how they compliment the PB.

God knows if they come out the right way round! :laughing: :laughing:

Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hubcap Synthetic rubber

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Tread Hubcap

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

And I know I haven't put the clip back on the front yet!! :facepalm:

Still, paint needed to harden first - that's what I'm telling myself.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.