Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't realise this, I assume as its a global car this will work the same in the UK as in the US:

Esoteric 2016 Ford Focus RS Out-Muscles Mustang EcoBoost, Big Time

Ford is able to generate such prodigious power from a relatively small four-cylinder engine in the Focus RS by using an all-new, twin-scroll turbocharger and a larger compressor that are continuously over-boosted to run at higher-than-normal pressures. In most cases where a turbo-charged engine features an over-boost function like this, it is only temporary and the additional power it generates is not necessarily factored into the engines official power rating.

But the over-boost function on the Focus RS lasts 20 seconds, and if you shift or lift off the throttle and then reapply it, the timer resets again for another 20 seconds, says Ford spokesman Paul Seredynski. Thus, the over-boost function is practically permanent, allowing for the Society of Automotive Engineers to officially rate the Focus RSs 2.3-liter EcoBoost engine at 350 hp and 350 pound-feet of torque.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I didn't realise this, I assume as its a global car this will work the same in the UK as in the US:
Esoteric 2016 Ford Focus RS Out-Muscles Mustang EcoBoost, Big Time
Ford is able to generate such prodigious power from a relatively small four-cylinder engine in the Focus RS by using an all-new, twin-scroll turbocharger and a larger compressor that are continuously over-boosted to run at higher-than-normal pressures. In most cases where a turbo-charged engine features an over-boost function like this, it is only temporary and the additional power it generates is not necessarily factored into the engines official power rating.
But the over-boost function on the Focus RS lasts 20 seconds, and if you shift or lift off the throttle and then reapply it, the timer resets again for another 20 seconds, says Ford spokesman Paul Seredynski. Thus, the over-boost function is practically permanent, allowing for the Society of Automotive Engineers to officially rate the Focus RSs 2.3-liter EcoBoost engine at 350 hp and 350 pound-feet of torque.
What bhp is it without the over boost.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
MP350?

I mean the 2016 RS with quoted 350ftlb in thsi thread.

Is it over a bigger range than my current Dyno'd car?

Looks like the 2016 RS TQ is from 2000 - 4500 rpm on the Ford info I have, but that states 440nm which is only 324 ftlb .... out of date info I hope :facepalm:

·
Registered
381 Posts
MP350?

I mean the 2016 RS with quoted 350ftlb in thsi thread.

Is it over a bigger range than my current Dyno'd car?

Looks like the 2016 RS TQ is from 2000 - 4500 rpm on the Ford info I have, but that states 440nm which is only 324 ftlb .... out of date info I hope :facepalm:
That's is non overboost torque.

If it works the same as on the ST, overboost kicks in over 3k rpm.

Altho it only does that if you floor it, when you're already above 3k, not when using a higher gear and hitting 3k on the way.

Won't matter when you're giving it the beans from first gear, but you won't have overboost when flooring it at like 40 mph in 6th or something.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I thought it was 15 seconds Ford stated?

In any case, 15 seconds would see the RS go from 0 mph to illegal speeds for UK roads :nice:
Its up to 15 seconds per gear. So enough time to use 100% throttle all the way through 1st,2nd,3rd,4th and most of 5th which will be about 140mph. It will effectively allow full boost as much as you need it execpt for a top speed run.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.