Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per title, if I add a modified oil filter housing such as sold by autospecalists will I get oil fumes in the cabin? My wife is quite sensitive to chemical type smells I don't want her to feel car sick every time we go out in the car

·
Registered
15,690 Posts
They can be but ive not driven a mk2 with one fitted so cant answer that ,from that point of veiw

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't know which one to go for, don't really want one that returns the oil to the sump, it will be carrying condensed water with it,

Is the pro alloy one ok, it's a fair bit cheaper than the AS one, are there any other types worth looking at?

·
Registered
514 Posts
I've got the pro alloy one on mine.
The new version is up the top piece of the housing, this is how they have got the cost down.

As for smell if you have it vented back under the car then as said only really when you pull up will you have a little oil smell.
Driving a long is fine as the air flowing under the car pulls the smell away.
I have a small filter on the end of the vented pipe so this helps even more will the smell.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The diaphragm on the top of the housing can split sending oil everywhere. And if it goes it can blow cam seals out of the head. I got mine fitted for piece of mind, but now kind of regretting it, as it ****** stinks the car out, I'm looking for a way to attach some kind of bottle to catch the oil vapour rather than it venting to atmosphere, has anybody done anything similar,

Either a bottle to catch the re condensed oi vapour. Or extend the pipe way under the car so it's past the doors so it doesn't smell so bad, did I mention the smell is really bad

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I have the Pro Alloy one and can just confirm that the only time I have a slight wiff of oil is occasionally when idle in traffic but it's nothing really. When I put the car in the garage I get a wiff. It vents under the car. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
108 Posts
You've got a problem somewhere if yours is stinking your car out. Either it isn't fitted correctly or you have other problems. It shouldn't drink your car out at all.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Has anybody else got the Autospecalists one? Mine vents to underneath the car from the very bottom of the catch tank, my kit also didn't have a small filter on the end so I'll be on to Allan at Autospecalists about the lack of filter in my kit. Will the filter likely make much difference?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any photos of the as one fitted, the garage that put mine on had the two top hoses on upside down, I swapped it all about and re routed the hoses in the bay this afternoon, it didn't seem as bad when I went out in it before but I only went a couple of miles the engine didn't get very hot

·
The Custard Kid
MK3 Focus RS
9,068 Posts
no smell from mine.... my vent hose goes under car to front cradle bar and points to the rear

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
I have nothing to be jealous about :) my car don't move now. But I am enjoying polishing my Mountune spoiler :)

You will always get a slight smell of oil vapour. It's s by product of having the breather as its venting into the atmosphere. You could always route a longer pipe right to the back of the car. Keep away from the exhaust though as id be spitting mighty flames lol

1 - 20 of 30 Posts