Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it looks like the speed limits established on parts of the Nurburgring will be lifted, along with some potentially interesting (and controversial) changes to the circuit layout and the way in which spectator viewing is managed... :nice:

The link to the story on PH:

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/general-news/nurburgring-speed-limits-to-be-lifted/32726

The link to the press release:

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/general-pistonheads/nurburgring-speed-limits-to-be-lifted--release/32730

The changes may irritate the purists :bleh: however I am all for change as long as it is made in the right places and for the right reasons; the speed limits were imposed on sections of the circuit and predominantly made in light of the tragic accident which occurred not so long ago. If the proposed alterations to the circuit mean that these speed limits are lifted then i'm all for it, and if it happens to improve safety for all concerned (both spectators and drivers) and keeps this amazing circuit open then bring it on!

At the end of the day, who wants a circuit with speed limits?! :facepalm: :smile:

Finally, the alterations to the circuit may well bring on a new round of competition between car manufacturers for the 'coveted' fastest lap time; 2016 should be an interesting year! :nice:

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Having seen how much the nordschliefe has changed in the decade (and a bit I think) since I've been journeying there change is / was going to happen following the tragic events this year.

I've seen little to no fencing and a Parisienne esque cafe be replaced by f1 style catch fencing and diners and roller coasters.

It's a shame that those very unique and character defining sections of track are being reprofiled but i think I'd rather see that happen than the place close.

All depends on what the other measures are and whether this marks the beginning of the end and the starting point for most of the track being changed / widened / given larger run offs to make it 'safer'

·
Premium Member
3,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're right Craig, it would be a shame to change the character of the track, but as you say, the alternative could be a lot worse! There is talk of spectator exclusion zones which is an interesting move, not necessarily a good one imo... I've not been to The Ring yet but I would imagine there is nothing quite like being able to stand a few metres from the track and experiencing a VLN GT car go screaming past flat out! :)

·
Premium Member
Dave - PB Mk2 2009 - 1 Owner ME.
11,443 Posts
I love the embedded link in one of your links Pete @peteg22 to the old footage, thought it worth adding on its own

1955 wow, the state of that road surface in places and the bushes as the "barrier", you just cant really believe people races around that in the old F1's etc AND without seatbelts in those days.

http://www.bridgetogantry.com/take-a-lap-of-the-ring-in-1955-then-think-about-the-future/

and the 1967 F1 GP round the ring, about 3:15 the first yump & the F1 cars are airborne,

·
Premium Member
3,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent idea Dave, good call! :nice: That footage is fantastic, just shows how much it has changed, however I still recognised parts of the circuit, and i've never even been there! :smile: Those 'fences' are laughable; they wouldn't even slow the car down! I guess they were to keep the crowd off the track, more than anything... :whistle:

Those guys weren't just racing drivers, they were very brave and talented racing drivers; get it wrong in one of those cars and you're toast! :cry: (not a particularly great expression, but you get the idea).

I love the clip at the beginning were somebody gets the hacksaw out; 'we'll just lop this bit off here and it'll run just fine!' :laughing:

·
Premium Member
11,443 Posts
@peteg22

Pete,

I posted your original note on an internal Ford Motorsport forum as I know one of the people who follow that is Michael Frison who started the "Save the Ring (STR)" campaign and is also a videographer & Photographer at the Nurburging. He also has lived nearby all his life, lucky so and so. He is also a work colleague of mine.

|Here is his reply:

What they say right now Dave is that the characteristics of the track won't change. It's not unusual to resurface parts of the track in winter/spring time and apparently this is all they are talking about. Which would be good news.
The problem is not the track, the problem is the ultra-fast race cars like FIA GT3 class, which have development massive aero improvements since their introduction in 2009. If you start changing the track to fit the cars, it's a war you can't win. Should be the other way round.
In addition ownership of Nürburgring is still unclear and will be for the coming years.

I wasnt aware of the Ownership still being unclear though.

Here is some of Mike's work from this weekends WEC event at the Nurburgring

Report: http://renn.tv/3100 (in German)

Top 10 Photos: http://renn.tv/3101
Picture Gallery: http://20832.com/?rubrik=gallery&event=150829_r&id=53&lang=deu

There were around 30k people visiting on race Sunday, which is good news. So hopefully WEC comes back next year.

The racing was fantastic, as was the weather and the WEC TV production. You can watch the race highlights here:

·
Premium Member
3,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Dave276 Nice one Dave, that's interesting to know! :nice: I knew the GT cars were hugely fast, so maybe it is time to rein them in a bit or certainly change the aero side of things... :whistle:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Thing is where do you stop with safety and altering the track? Obviously it's a horrible thing that happened, but motorsport is inherently dangerous for both drivers and spectators. Everyone knows the risks. Spectator protection could have been better there for sure, so improve that and leave the track as it was. Spectators shouldn't be standing in the line of fire like that. The bumps etc is what gives the track it's infamous status. The drivers should know the risks and it adds another factor to lapping successfully. The trouble with things like this today is the knee-jerk reactions that inevitably follow, usually because they have to be seen to be doing something to appease the serial complainers and campaigners :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
@peteg22

Pete,
I posted your original note on an internal Ford Motorsport forum as I know one of the people who follow that is Michael Frison who started the "Save the Ring (STR)" campaign and is also a videographer & Photographer at the Nurburging. He also has lived nearby all his life, lucky so and so. He is also a work colleague of mine.

|Here is his reply:

What they say right now Dave is that the characteristics of the track won't change. It's not unusual to resurface parts of the track in winter/spring time and apparently this is all they are talking about. Which would be good news.[/size]The problem is not the track, the problem is the ultra-fast race cars like FIA GT3 class, which have development massive aero improvements since their introduction in 2009. If you start changing the track to fit the cars, it's a war you can't win. Should be the other way round.[/size]In addition ownership of Nürburgring is still unclear and will be for the coming years.[/size]

I wasnt aware of the Ownership still being unclear though. [/size]

Here is some of Mike's work from this weekends WEC event at the Nurburgring[/size]

Report: [/size]http://renn.tv/3100 (in German)[/size]
Top 10 Photos: [/size]http://renn.tv/3101Picture Gallery: [/size]http://20832.com/?rubrik=gallery&event=150829_r&id=53&lang=deu

There were around 30k people visiting on race Sunday, which is good news. So hopefully WEC comes back next year. [/size]The racing was fantastic, as was the weather and the WEC TV production. You can watch the race highlights here: [/size]
Was out there at the weekend...1 lap Friday evening 5 laps Saturday and 2 laps Sunday morning then on to watch the six hour race what an event...it's got to go down as 1 of the best weekends Motorsport wise I've experienced...I've no dought it'll be back next year Dave ;)

·
Premium Member
3,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thing is where do you stop with safety and altering the track? Obviously it's a horrible thing that happened, but motorsport is inherently dangerous for both drivers and spectators. Everyone knows the risks. Spectator protection could have been better there for sure, so improve that and leave the track as it was. Spectators shouldn't be standing in the line of fire like that. The bumps etc is what gives the track it's infamous status. The drivers should know the risks and it adds another factor to lapping successfully. The trouble with things like this today is the knee-jerk reactions that inevitably follow, usually because they have to be seen to be doing something to appease the serial complainers and campaigners :thumbsdown:
You're quite right, Oli, I would imagine it's more of a case of they have to be seen to be doing something, especially in today's world of the 'blame culture'; a healthy dose of common sense is generally all that's needed, far cheaper too! :whistle: :smile:

Was out there at the weekend...1 lap Friday evening 5 laps Saturday and 2 laps Sunday morning then on to watch the six hour race what an event...it's got to go down as 1 of the best weekends Motorsport wise I've experienced...I've no dought it'll be back next year Dave ;)
SO JEALOUS!!! Would love to do that one year, I may have to pick your brains nearer the time as to what to do, where to go etc if that's ok? :nice:

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
If it is on next year make sure to book a hotel as soon as possible as every were was booked up and there were loads of people in camping/motorhomes ;)

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
If it is on next year make sure to book a hotel as soon as possible as every were was booked up and there were loads of people in camping/motorhomes ;)
The dorint is a cracking one as the rooms have balconies that over look the main straight on the gp track so when you've had enough of trekking through the woods watching it you can retire to your room and watch it from your balcony with an ice cold beer in your hand :)

·
Premium Member
11,443 Posts
SO JEALOUS!!! Would love to do that one year, I may have to pick your brains nearer the time as to what to do, where to go etc if that's ok? :nice:
I like the sound of that; this trip just keeps getting better! :)
FRS weekend away guys? as soon as the date is known (I can get Mike to let me know ASAP) get a thread up and a few of us could go over.

I said to my lad the other day, if I retired would you like to spend a month at the nurburgring,

his answer in a spit second YES, but how would we get the RS out there and my wheelchair?

then he said we could fit a towbar to his van and trailer it out - i like his thinking.

Only problem is finding a tralier to hire or buy at a good price for the RS.

We also know of a fully accessible holiday home at good rates within a short drive of the ring.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Stayed in the dorint last year with the Mrs defo the 1 to book missed out this year fully booked..stayed at the ringhause which is very basic indeed it only caters for breakfast and the odd beer...very friendly owners who are petrol heads lol...
@Dave I've never seen as many motorhomes than I saw over weekend some were parked 200 yards from the dorint just off the roundabout that takes you to the start/finish area.

·
Premium Member
3,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
An excellent idea, Dave, i've just got to keep my fingers crossed that i'll be home around then; as yet, i'm not 100% sure what my movements are for next year.

FRS weekend away guys? as soon as the date is known (I can get Mike to let me know ASAP) get a thread up and a few of us could go over.

I said to my lad the other day, if I retired would you like to spend a month at the nurburgring,

his answer in a spit second YES, but how would we get the RS out there and my wheelchair?
then he said we could fit a towbar to his van and trailer it out - i like his thinking.
Only problem is finding a tralier to hire or buy at a good price for the RS.

We also know of a fully accessible holiday home at good rates within a short drive of the ring.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts