Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checked the oil last week, about halfway on the stick, topped up to just below the mark, have done about 500 miles since. Noticed yesterday a bit of oil on the drive, drive is long enough for two cars, first part is a bit of a slope, other part is flat and that’s where I normally park, last couple of days I have parked on the slope.
Checked the oil, nothing on the stick, put a litre and a half in and it’s about way up the stick. No warning light and no strange noises, see picture and that’s after an hour or so with the engine off. If your looking at the front of the car it seems to be dripping from the back of the engine on the right, had a good look from the top, can’t see anything, can’t see underneath other than from the back and looking forward no sign of oil sprayed underneath the car.

Anybody got any ideas or had it happen to them ?
Asphalt Road surface Rectangle Tints and shades Font

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
So you initially checked the oil with the car on the flat and topped it up a tad? You then checked it with the car on the slope? Was the front of the car pointing up or down the slope? If the front points up then the oil level will appear very low (depending on angle, of course)
My car is parked on a slope of just a few degrees with the front down and the level on the dipstick reaches the top hole. Checked on the flat, the level is spot on at the top of the hatch marking. Quite a difference.

JohnD

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, checked and topped on the flat, did 500 or so miles then parked on the slope for a couple of days front pointing up then went out, came back, parked on the flat and saw the oil on the slope, checked it and nothing on the stick.

·
Registered
William-RS Mk3
829 Posts
The problem is the undertray is fibrous and can soak up quite a bit of oil. Also because of the holes in the undertray they are the only place you will find oil dropping which may be some distance from where the leak is. You need to take the undertray off and have a good look from underneath, easiest to do on a ramp. If you don't have access to a ramp, you can try an inspection camera from the top of the engine if you have one, there are some cheap ones around.

·
Registered
William-RS Mk3
829 Posts
2020080 is the part number and a quick search shows prices between £110 to £172. There was a very nice aluminium one mentioned in a thread on here some time ago, wish I had got one!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that. Got the car back and it was the oil filter leaking, they don’t know why it started no visible damage, so will keep an eye on it and if there’s still a leak they said bring it back. They have had it all day and no oil has come out so hopefully sorted, they have cleaned the undertray as best they can.

·
Registered
FW MK2 JWR100. FW MK3 FPM375
1,268 Posts
Thanks for that. Got the car back and it was the oil filter leaking, they don’t know why it started no visible damage, so will keep an eye on it and if there’s still a leak they said bring it back. They have had it all day and no oil has come out so hopefully sorted, they have cleaned the undertray as best they can.
Bet that was a relief

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
At 15k it's way past it's oil and filter change period! That said, the filter should not have been leaking even though the oil is pressurised there.
Did the garage replace the oil and filter? At that mileage it needed it.

JohnD

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
At 15k it's way past it's oil and filter change period! That said, the filter should not have been leaking even though the oil is pressurised there.
Did the garage replace the oil and filter? At that mileage it needed it.

JohnD
wow that was really lucky then,it could have been so much worse.nice and simple fix,as john says hope they didnt just tighten it up and at least changed it
Its not to far past, thought service interval was 12500?, service light hadn’t come on and I don’t really rag the car, mostly motorway, anyway got the garage to do full service. Yes did have a worry that it was going to be very expensive

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
2020080 is the part number and a quick search shows prices between £110 to £172. There was a very nice aluminium one mentioned in a thread on here some time ago, wish I had got one!
That may have been mine. I replaced my undertray with an aluminium one. Bought from J9 Performance parts, based in Liverpool area I think.
Top quality part and it comes in different finishes, so I went for the blue version naturally. I know, who sees it, but I know its there and that's all that matters to me!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts