Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Just joined after a few pointers still own a Evo 2 running 450 Bhp on low boost , had the car for 9 years and spent. £££££
I fancy a change for something bit more modern and like the mk 2 Rs, would like to know about the engine limits etc but want something realiable as an Evo is expensive to run .
The Evo is a very quick car 1250 kg just concerned on letting her go , I haven't had a ride in an Rs yet

·
Registered
294 Posts
Having owed an evo I would say change to an rs And quick.....running costs loads lower than an evo and very reliable

Make the change....

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you point me in the direction for the normal newbie questions ie what the standard engine can handle etc ?
Running cost aren't the ultimate decision as it won't be a daily but prefer the car not in the garage most of the time !

·
Registered
294 Posts
Become a member will be the best 10 you will ever spend mate opens up a wealth of information already answered on the forum.

One big helpful family on here....

·
Premium Member
13,250 Posts
I am running a fairly mild state of tune being MR375, Mountune offer MR420 but the sky is the limit really. Over 420bhp it is best to forge the engine.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't won't to go the forged route , I see quite a few advertised at 400 Bhp I'm guessing that's the safe limit on the standard engine .

Carsey2014 10 as in £10 to join ?
I know from my Evo forum its gets tedious people asking the same over and over

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Hi Buddy,

I had an Evo 5 before I owned the RS. I had the Evo for 7 years spending £££££

The RS will be no match for the Evo off the mark or go quite as fast round the twisties, the RS is a heavier car, but was very surprised on how well the RS does put the power down and handles.

I have played with a couple scoobies and managed still to get them to 60, but this is probably down to driver skill, if you drive a AWD car hard enough FWD will not launch as quick as you know.

To me the Evo became a little boring, just did everything so well. The RS running 400 plus makes for a fun car, a little fight, more drama, so for me, more fun to drive, and the sound of the 5 pot bellow is to die for, I run a KMS Thunderstorm, very loud but the sound is so addictive, pops, bangs, flames just can't beat it.

The way the mk2 makes you feel is hard to explain but just feels special and presence and attention the RS gets is just great.

When it comes to tuning, well as you know this is just a question of £££££ there is a member on here close or possible going for the 900hp mark!

Standard engine is safe at 400bhp or though many run to 420hp anything beyond this forging is recommended.

If your moving from a 450hp evo at 1250kg to an RS I would recommend you buy one with a forged engine running 500hp or more if you want to go almost as fast, but believe me with an RS running this much power, gonna be a hoot to drive and from 60 up well, hold on tight!

If it's just all about which you can go faster in the RS will not be as quick as the Evo, but not to say will not be far behind just have to remember the RS is a lot heavier car, but saying that I saw Jamsports RS on track and wow that seriously moves and give a well modded Evo a run for its money, again it's just down to how much £££ your willing to spend.

Try and get someone to take you out in a modified one, standard is just boring especially when you are used to modified cars.

All in all I have not regretted the move but I do miss the Evo only probably because I got a little attached after 7 years of ownership.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi
Good to hear from an ex Evo owner , I want something realiable , fed up spending ££££
I need to go out in one , and also shift mine
I had a look at White Rs with black wheels today the garage was closed but it looked fab, immaculate in and out with 35 thou ......think if I get one it will be white ......Rs direct seemed to have a fair amount of stock
Must admit when I started looking I was shocked on the prices they certaintly hold their value I wouldn't pay 25k tho ....may as well order a mk3 !!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quite excited going to look at and test drive a Rs tomorrow , never been in one , hope I'm not disappointed
Coming from 4 wheel drive , any more tips on what to look for I know about the rear arche rust
This is a 09 plate , with lux pack 1 and 2 and the black recaros , White with black wheels

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Quite excited going to look at and test drive a Rs tomorrow , never been in one , hope I'm not disappointed
Coming from 4 wheel drive , any more tips on what to look for I know about the rear arche rust
This is a 09 plate , with lux pack 1 and 2 and the black recaros , White with black wheels
Hi Rob,

Apart from the obvious like full service history door dinks boosting ok etc and as you say the rear arches you should be ok.

Any modifications?

Are you buying private or from a trader, if post on here car reg/trader it may well be known on here and someone can give you info on the car?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Had the test drive although a shortish one as someone else was looking at it after me, love the look the comfort and the sound of the engine, gear ratios are very close arent they, had a militek exhaust so fair bit of noise inside, only thing thats stopping me was the performance didn,t exactly blow me away....but I suppose thats going to be the case when my evo is only 1260 kg and 450 bhp....

but speed is not the only consideration, i,m after a realiable motor that stands out, and a bit newer(evo is 21 years old)

Its at an independent dealer, it has both lux packs lovely black powder coated wheels, car is white

I am going to phone jamsport tomorrow to see if I can find out the expected bhp, I think there estimate is over @370 odd

Hi Rob,

Apart from the obvious like full service history door dinks boosting ok etc and as you say the rear arches you should be ok.

Any modifications?

Are you buying private or from a trader, if post on here car reg/trader it may well be known on here and someone can give you info on the car?
post on here as in the number plate ?

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
There great cars, get nearer to the 400hp will feel a bit more lively and still reliable, you might want to look at a stage 4 RS as you will only end up spending the extra to go stage 4 anyway guaranteed, save some money in the long run.

Like I said not going to be as quick as your Evo unless you go for one that's forged and running near the 500hp mark.

Will be a good idea to speak to Jam Sport as you say.

Not sure if you really got to push the car hard but when you get into 3rd 4th the RS really starts to pick up pace, I find 4th comes in with a huge surge of torque.

Also if you can find one with full suspension upgrades so shocks and springs or coilovers handling will be much improved too, standard shocks with just lowering springs in my eyes give too much body roll.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts