Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
I get 36-38 mpg on the mk2 RS on a combined cycle driving it normally with a 420 set-up with the odd blast.

I know not all mk2 owners get these figures; i've heard of wide ranges, lowest probably 24 mpg on a combined cycle.

So - I would like to have thought that this eco boost engine would show figures at least as good as 35mpg on a combined cycle. If not, what is the eco about?

Registered
I'm seriously impressed with mine. Really. I have an MR420 with 37mpg average. It does matter because I don't need to keep filling it up all the time, I get literally 480 miles per tank.
I used to say why do I care about mpg if I have a sports car - especially with my evo that thing was ridiculous. Fuel gauge dropped quicker than the revs rose. I got 200 miles a tank out of that. It was appalling. And fuel bills to the max. It was a drain to run that thing.
With the RS I know I can just use it almost like a normal car and I've got all that power to play with. Of course blasting it everywhere I'll see 25 mpg and I accept that. But I won't accept poor fuel economy argument because I've got a sports car anymore now I've seen my RS perform. You can have power and economy.
But if Mountune can engineer 37 mpg on normal driving on the 5 pot engine then it's something that can be done on newer engines with better technology. Theoretically. We'll see.

Registered
I'm averaging 28.2 on my Mk3 ST since 1st March 2014. Currently tend to get around 30MPG per tank. Based on that, anything over 25 I'd be delighted with, but it's an RS, so I don't really care what the MPG is.

previously GrahamS
:eek: You measured MPG over 3 years???????? now that is precise.
I wish I could takeq the credit for being an uber nerd but I can't :lol:

Since buying the car I have never reset the average consumption display that is part of the trip computer so it's there in front of me all the time.

Trip computer is waaay better in the Mk3. You can have a combined screen showing distance to empty, current Mpg, average Mpg over time and average speed over time.

The last person that reset my average Mpg was some German bloke in Saarlouis :lol:

I did the same thing in the Mk2 ST and I was only getting 26mpg out of that so the Ecoboost definitely works

Registered
I guess if you are in a part of the world where you have access to 99RON fuel or better then with an ECU update MPG should be as good if not better than published figures, like the MK2. I wonder what Mountune will do if Ford offer an upgrade under warranty. Will they have a worldwide map or will there be specific ECU upgrades tailored to each market to cover all qualities of fuel.

Registered
I guess if you are in a part of the world where you have access to 99RON fuel or better then with an ECU update MPG should be as good if not better than published figures, like the MK2. I wonder what Mountune will do if Ford offer an upgrade under warranty. Will they have a worldwide map or will there be specific ECU upgrades tailored to each market to cover all qualities of fuel.
:lol: I use 99 RON fuel in my ST. Average over 6k miles is 31mpg. Ford claim just over 40 on a combined cycle. Even on a long run the most I've had out of it is 36 and that's with 50mph stretches of motorway (almost all of the M1 now). The problem with more modern engines is the gap between claimed and reality gets bigger.

I'm quite surprised with the figures big power Mk2 RS's are returning above. I assume the Mountune upgrades gave an increase in mpg over standard?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.