Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
Dave - PB Mk2 2009 - 1 Owner ME.
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought you all might be interested in this little article (Dated: 2013-03-07 13:33.14)

The EU is introducing a harmonised licence model and minimum requirements for obtaining a licence.
This should help to keep unsafe drivers off Europe's roads - wherever they take their driving test.
On the 19th of November 2012, the European Commission adopted technical changes to the Directive 2006/12/EC on driving licences so as to avoid administrative burdens for citizens or industries.
As from this moment, all driving licences issued by EU countries will have the same look and feel.
The new European licence will progressively replace the more than 100 different paper and plastic models currently in use by more than 300 million drivers across the EU.
It is part of a broader package of measures (3rd EU Driving Licence Directive) coming into force designed to enhance free movement, tackle driving licence fraud and improve road safety across the EU.
This development will not only highly decrease fraud opportunities by introducing security features and administrative validity periods, but it will also protect vulnerable road users through the introduction of a progressive access system to driving motorcycles.
Existing licences are not affected, but will be changed to the new format at the time of renewal or at the latest by 2033.

More details can be found at: https://www.ereg-association.eu/actualities/index.php?action=show_article&news_id=189&mode=view

I wonder what the UK Government will charge for this wonderful service of change for the sake of change.

·
Premium Member
4,586 Posts
I can live with that so long as it is a superset of the driving tests and not the lowest common denominator. Not sure I buy the fraud story, they'll only use the same security measures that are financially acceptable for individual countries to employ anyway, and now the fraudsters only need to perfect one EU wide design.

The potential EU change that really bugs me is the EU Birth, Marriage and Death certificates, not compulsory from introduction, but give them time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.