Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as some of you may of read, my car embarrassingly wouldn't let me in at the Battlesbridge Classic car show on Sunday when we were parked under electricity pylons.

After trying another keyfob battery from a fellow members fob, still no good.

Moving the car away from the pylons then allowed me to get the ignition on & start the car!

Monday, replaced both fob batteries just as a precaution.

Anyway, yesterday, the alarm went off on the car, fob failed to activate the locks again, so, popped the bonnet & tested the battery, down to 11.5 volts, the car then came back to life & got ignition back on, started it up, checked charge rate, 14.4V, all fine under load as well.

Re-checked the battery & now showing just over 12V.

So, as the battery is the original & over 6 years old, thought best to change it for a new one.

Disconnected overnight as i didn't want the alarm going off.

Today, got a lovely new Bosch S5, removed the old battery, tested again, down to 10.2V, so definitely shot!

Whilst i had the battery out, removed the battery tray & gave it all a nice clean up & installed the new battery, regreased the terminals & tested again, all good.

Entered the radio code, reset the windows & the autofold mirrors whilst allowing car to idle to allow the PCM to relearn, quick couple of miles round the block & all done! :thumbsup:

Sorry it's a bit longwinded, but it may help others who may be having any weird electrical gremlins! :nice:

·
Premium Member
13,256 Posts
Well, as some of you may of read, my car embarrassingly wouldn't let me in at the Battlesbridge Classic car show on Sunday when we were parked under electricity pylons.

After trying another keyfob battery from a fellow members fob, still no good.

Moving the car away from the pylons then allowed me to get the ignition on & start the car!

Monday, replaced both fob batteries just as a precaution.

Anyway, yesterday, the alarm went off on the car, fob failed to activate the locks again, so, popped the bonnet & tested the battery, down to 11.5 volts, the car then came back to life & got ignition back on, started it up, checked charge rate, 14.4V, all fine under load as well.

Re-checked the battery & now showing just over 12V.

So, as the battery is the original & over 6 years old, thought best to change it for a new one.

Disconnected overnight as i didn't want the alarm going off.

Today, got a lovely new Bosch S5, removed the old battery, tested again, down to 10.2V, so definitely shot!

Whilst i had the battery out, removed the battery tray & gave it all a nice clean up & installed the new battery, regreased the terminals & tested again, all good.

Entered the radio code, reset the windows & the autofold mirrors whilst allowing car to idle to allow the PCM to relearn, quick couple of miles round the block & all done! :thumbsup:

Sorry it's a bit longwinded, but it may help others who may be having any weird electrical gremlins! :nice:
Glad all is well , I didn't wait for my battery to play up after six years just replaced it, better safe than sorry.

·
Premium Member
23,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:facepalm: :clap: :clap: :partydance: :rule: :lol: :rolleyes:

:wwp:

You feeling alright ?

:p :p :p
Well, whilst the battery was out, it's only a couple of bolts to remove & it was disgusting under there!! :cry:

I'm sure everyone has done the same when changing batteries surely?? :whistle:

Didn't take any pics i'm afraid! :facepalm:

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
6 Years life out of a battery is very good. My Sapphire Cosworth used to eat one every year and it made no difference if it was a top brand or a cheapo from Halfords.

·
Administrator
49,107 Posts
6 Years life out of a battery is very good. My Sapphire Cosworth used to eat one every year and it made no difference if it was a top brand or a cheapo from Halfords.
I'd expect the Bosch one to last longer , but if I get 6 years out of mine I'll be happy . :smile:

·
Premium Member
23,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My battery on my Sierra lasted just over 8 years, so i guess with all the fancy electrics on the Focus compared to that, it's not too bad.

The Bosch has a 5 year guarantee so should be good for at least the same as the OE battery, timewise.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
I have a nice little collection of battery's. When it comes to Xmas boyah nice Xmas drink.

Where I used to work 6 years ago my old boss took 100 catalytic converters. 500 battery's and a load of scrap alloy wheels. He come out with a huge wad of cash. We didn't get any but he was loaded

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.