Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just a little project thread I'm going to start for my MK2 focus rs, I have owned for the last couple years.

Bought the car in June 2019 from a chap through eBay. At the time I had my heart set on a performance blue one, after looking at a several I decided to view this one and the condition alone of this one compared to the lower mileage examples I had seen really caught my eye. It was the exact spec I was after aswell, being a lux 1 with all the keyless, climate control, Bluetooth, usb, upgraded seats etc etc. The miles at 92k was a little off putting but on the condition and history alone I knew the car was too good. I did actually leave this on the day to go and view another lower mileage performance blue and it was a complete mess, I instantly phoned the guy with this car and told him I'm coming back for it at a really good price. Due to the miles I did end up spending alot less on the car than I had budgeted but this obviously ment I could throw myself straight into to some mods and getting the cambelt and water pump done that it was due.
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

The only mods on the car at the time was a dreamscience exhaust system including downpipe, sports cat and cat back and also a dreamscience/radtec intercooler. No other modifications or even mapped.
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate
Hood Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

The car was missing a front under tray which I replaced immediately and I also bought some h&r lowering springs and 20mm spacers
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Window
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Took the car to ford fair in August 2019 with a couple mates, ended up buying myself an anembo inlet plenum, group a induction kit and a maxton front and side splitters. Didnt really like the rear spats so I actually ordered TRC rear spats.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle registration plate Land vehicle
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design
Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Vehicle

I then felt the exhaust wasn't really doing it for me so I switched to a mongoose section 59 system
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Scaled reptile Bumper
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Next the car was due a cambelt and water pump so I actually drove to dreamscience and had the block mod done.
Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design
Automotive tire Rim Auto part Engineering Pattern
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Whilst I was at dreamscience they informed me that two of my bolts on my downpipe was snapped and had been bodged with some crazy contraption. At the time it wasn't something they could do as they would need to remove the turbo completely. I also kept having a small fault with an abs issue which turned out to be the abs wires being over stretched. When I got back I actually removed the turbo with a friend removed the snapped studs and re tapped the threads, fitted some locking downpipe bolts whilst I was at it and fitted a turbosmart recirculating dump valve. I also fixed the abs wires at the same time. I then pinstriped my lowline kit and also fitted a cold air feed to the induction kit, I did later remove the pinstripe as It just wasn't for me in the end.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Sky Vehicle registration plate
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Couple of interior shots from the time
Seat belt Car Window Vehicle Car seat cover
Car Vehicle Gear shift Speedometer Motor vehicle

Next I did have the car put on the Dyno, no map and made a healthy 311bhp and 335ftlb at the flywheel. Was chuffed with the results that the car was still making good power at around 94k miles.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle
Product Font Material property Sleeve Paper

I actually ended up selling the car temporarily due to some personal circumstances and I later bought the car back roughly 7/8 months later and the new owner had clocked a massive 23 miles on the car, safe to say he basically dry stored it for me for that time period. In-between that time I did actually give the MK3 focus rs a go and I can honestly say it really just wasn't for me, can't slate the car in any way it just wasn't for me. Didn't excite me like the mk2 or MK1 and just didn't feel as special to drive. Did do several mods to the car to drive liven it up a bit but just never really got to me like the MK1 and mk2 did.
Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Grille Automotive lighting

Happy that I had my MK2 back I decided to progress the mods with things I had wanted to do before selling it. I started by buying a used set of alloys called rota pwr in an anthracite bronze colour, they did need a refurb but they was still very presentable.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

I then sourced a brand new set of ksport 8 pot brakes with two piece floating discs, I had never fitted brakes like these or even bled brakes before but I fitted these myself and was relatively easy to do! Probably one of my favourite mods, transforms the look of the car and also the braking performance is a huge benefit.
Tool Automotive tire Bicycle part Yellow Bumper
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Rim Automotive wheel system
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

One thing that always let the car down was the front grill, lacquer peel, stone chips really let the front of the car down so I managed to source a brand new genuine grill and set about swapping that over. Again big improvement for the front end tidied it up massively!
Automotive exterior Everyday carry Tool Bumper Rectangle
Car Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle

I removed the rear seats and fitted a airtec clubsport half cage, purely done for the look and making it look more aggressive etc. Plus nobody wants to take rear passengers, at the same time my stereo gave up and I decided to fit a new Kenwood unit and this was one of the reasons I went for the lux 1 as I especially wanted to do this at some stage.
Vehicle White Grille Hood Automotive lighting
Car Vehicle Window Car seat cover Steering part
Vehicle Gadget Car Wheel Automotive design

I took the car to the Isle of Wight which should have been the ford takeover, unfortunately due to the pandemic that was cancelled but still had a great time away with the car driving on some awesome roads and getting some great photos.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Sky
Tire Sky Water Wheel Vehicle
Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle Plant
Car Water Tire Plant Vehicle
Cloud Sky Vehicle Tire Car

Next for me was the exciting bit! A trip to sabre tuning who I had previously used on my MK1 focus rs. Leighton is a wizard with these cars and I had the car mapped with new 750cc injectors fitted. The car made 319bhp and 327ftlb as it stood so similar results to the previous Dyno I took it too. I was hoping for atleast 400bhp with this map as for me that was the magic number, I had seen several making a fair bit over that around 420bhp etc. Mine made 403bhp 396ftlb on the day so I was very happy with the numbers, it felt like a different beast compared to what it was so I can't recommend these enough. Leighton did inform me there was room for improvement on that with a new actuator as I was currently making 1 psi less than what he was used to seeing. This might be something I do in the future but for now i am very happy with the power and usability of it!
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Paper
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate

I noticed after mapping I was starting to get a little clutch slip, seeing as the car had done the mileage it had I kinda expected the issue to come seeing as there's no sign of previous clutch replacement. So I ordered a new genuine rs clutch kit with a flywheel, genuine release bearing and new driveshaft seals. Didn't take many photos of this being changed but had my friends who runs his own garage do the work for me and thanks again to aandkmotorsport for supplying me with the parts again!
Wood Gas Engineering Stairs Machine

Christmas time came, lots of presents for the rs! I got pretty much every autobeam bulb I could change! These are a huge upgrade on the standard built especially the indicators! I would recommend them to everyone! They are almost blinding they are so bright! I also got new genuine rs mats, alcantara gear gaiter, sequential mirror indicators, euro fog light and some yellow dmb rs inlays to match up with the yellow brakes.
Wood Rectangle Material property Font Hardwood
Wood Sleeve Font Triangle Slope
Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive mirror Car
Vehicle registration plate Tire Vehicle Automotive parking light Grille

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice write up mate and lovely car What tune are you going for?
Brakes look spot on
Thanks man! I did go for sabre stage 3! Im just trying to catch up from around 2 years of posts so I'm currently adding it all in to where it stands today! Keep your eyes peeled

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sent my rota wheels off for a refurb and a new colour, I went for a glitter bronze whilst also having some other wheels refurbed for my daily fiesta st. They came back and I was so happy with the colour, they really popped in the sunlight and again this transformed the look of the car for me! I felt like they looked better over the brakes aswell! And yes I know the wheel nuts look rusty in the middle 🤣
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Car
Automotive parking light Window Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Window Car Hood
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Sky Car Vehicle

I bought couple bits to tidy the engine bay up which was the symposer hose on white and also a paint modz coolant cover, I do plan to get a cross over pipe at some point and also an anembo rocker cover.
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive battery

Some photos of the car as it currently sits.
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Car
Tire Wheel Car Sky Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Cloud
Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Car

The last modification I done, was actually changing the exhaust to a Kms section 18, this originally was the system I wanted but couldn't get hold of one. This coupled with a sports cat sounds very good, really shows off that 5 pot rumble! Surprisingly doesn't drone bad like I found with the section 59 which was an added bonus.
Font Screenshot Eyewear Metal Soil
Automotive tail & brake light Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Car
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

Recently visited a pub near Stratford, called caffeine and machine and this pub is petrol head heaven! If you haven't been you need to go! Lots of fancy cars on the display! Here a are a few photos of the car, by me and also from people that took photos of the car there.
Wheel Tire Car Cloud Vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Cloud Car
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Vehicle registration plate Land vehicle Tire Wheel Vehicle
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate Car

Next on my list to do which is where I am at today, I've started noticing the rear arches and of the front wings is forming some rust. So I've dropped the car off this weekend to have this attended too! Fingers crossed for a good job and I will update once it's back! I've ended up having alot more work done just to really make the car mint. But I'll update once I've got the car back! Here are photos of the gremlins I'm getting rid of.
Tire Wheel Cloud Automotive tire Synthetic rubber
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Tread
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Synthetic rubber
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Automotive design Hood

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Should have the car back from paint Friday looking fresh hopefully! In the mean time I've treated the car to some new hardrace lower arms as my old ones are ******* and also some new ebc rear brakes 😁
Tool Crankset Hand tool Bicycle part Font

Love the Pics. Just goes to show the higher milers can look just as good as the ultra low milers with a bit of tlc.
Thanks mate! Very happy with the car tbh!

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Little update, car has come back from paint and it's looking like brand new! I've ended up booking it back in for a weeks time for a couple more bits to be done to make the car basically perfect! But very happy with the job!
Tire Wheel Vehicle Grille Car

Vehicle registration plate Tire Ford fg falcon Vehicle Car
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Sky Car Vehicle

Did notice the didn't fit the undertray back on very well and I need to put the rear rs badge back on so that's something I'm going to set straight today and hopefully get my new lower arms and brakes fitted.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
New hardrace lower arms fitted, I did make the mistake of getting the wrong ball joints to begin with! They was listed as mk2 focus rs ball joints but was obviously incorrect, so in the previous photos of the arms they are incorrect and these are the right ones. Old ones replaced, very much needed as the bushes were shot.
Road surface Asphalt Wood Plant Grass
Motor vehicle Wood Electric blue Tool Machine
Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Wheel Tire Crankset Bicycle wheel

Easy enough to replace but would definitely recommend having someone with you to replace them, I had a bit of a nightmare on my own. I will be getting some underside bits done at some point to tidy things up! Also fitted my new ebc brake discs and yellow stuff pads. When the weather gets better I'll be taking all my wheels/arch liners etc off to clean it all up. Has been previously undersealed at some stage so will have to do the best I can with it. next up I need to get somewhere to do tracking that's not going to moan about the lowness 🤣 also back to the paint shop on Saturday to have a couple more bits done, should have it back by Wednesday looking pristine! I've also treated the car to a new front ford badge as it's slightly faded and was letting the front end down. Will add photos once fitted!
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Locking hubs Vehicle brake
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hubcap

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
New arms fitted, of course there had to be problems,, drivers side track rod seized, with isle of wight looming close I had to get these parts changed sharpish, new genuine ford parts fitted and all sorted now.

Also fitted a fresh new ford badge on the front to compliment the rest of the front end being so fresh

Want to get the mesh in the top grill looking fresh next, but need to work out the best route of doing this.

Finally after the car being back and forward from paint it is complete and very happy with the results

1 - 20 of 37 Posts