Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right it's been almost 3 weeks since the fault started "steering malfunction "

I have pulled my machine to bits ..

Sent my ecu away and they said it's fine, battery all tested and fine( 3 month old anyway) .

My wife's cousin works in a car garage who has access to a ford ids Clip is it.. Lucky for me he used to work for a ford main dealer as a tech mechanic . But the clip will not even communicate with my car either..
We took the pcm out and very fuse and removed the board and he checked as he's replaced some in His time but mine looks spot on, the dash clocks he took out also but look good .

Head light out and there is power to the power steering motor/pump

I know all these boards may look fine but could have an issue but God are they expensive to swap out and code And yet not work..

So now he's miffed as to the problem!!

He's going to try and get in touch with fords and do a bit of digging,

My biggest gripe here is the car drive fine as per the poxy book for 5 times... Now nothing
The answer to this problem is very very elusive ...

·
The Custard Kid
MK3 Focus RS
9,068 Posts
If it aint comunicating to the ecu i would take a punt and buy a st ecu and get it cloned and fit that. Who tested the ecu?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it aint comunicating to the ecu i would take a punt and buy a st ecu and get it cloned and fit that. Who tested the ecu?
Done that , lee at devil developments did ,, said its fine

Plus you don't need the ecu to get ignition to come on or to try and start it

It should just chuck up an engine malfunction message

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Done that , lee at devil developments did ,, said its fine
Plus you don't need the ecu to get ignition to come on or to try and start it
It should just chuck up an engine malfunction message
If the ECU is dead it might or might not start and you might not even get ignition. I've had one fail and it wasn't even throwing up error messages until the very end, just clicking and clicking with no start.

Just making the point, not suggesting you have ECU problems. Yours sounds like it's shut down somehow altogether.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the ECU is dead it might or might not start and you might not even get ignition. I've had one fail and it wasn't even throwing up error messages until the very end, just clicking and clicking with no start.

Just making the point, not suggesting you have ECU problems. Yours sounds like it's shut down somehow altogether.
Yeah I agree , like s total shut down. I have found one car in Australia that was a ford that did this with its 5 start life and steering fault , they had to completely reprogramme the car, along with a specific ford key code and bZng it started.

It's the only thing I can find and trust me I'm Google best mate at present.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Just a thought. Can Lee put a Syvecs ECU on it without too much hassle just to check if it starts? If it's going to cost you lots of money to get it reprogrammed why not see if it is possible to go Syvecs and invest any loss in cash remediating the problem that way?
Might be a daft idea and I know Syvecs is expensive but worth asking and considering.
Then your options are endless for modding.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lol I can't think of modding yet
I'm doing that enough with it dead in the garage.

But it is s possibility ..

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sounds to me like you have a gateway fault. Every thing is getting power yet no communication from the gateway to tell it to activate.

Find your gateway, find your problem.

Usually on VW's it's the instrument cluster. I'm unsure on the RS.

Like I said In my last post, everything will have power and will seem ok, but there will be a fault with the control module. Like you say it isn't cheap replacing parts at a guess, but if everything has power going to it and your earths are ok, it can only be a control module, IE gateway.

If your gateway was your instrument cluster then it would explain the immobiliser light and the non start.

If the car was scanned with the proper IDS tool, it would have given you a fault code for no communication. You don't want to just scan the PCM, you want to scan every control module on the car and see what one has a fault code stored in and go from there. It has to be something that can read everything, not just engine control module fault codes.

(Where are you based? I'll come take a look myself if your not too far)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Sorry to hear of this Andrew - hope you get it fixed mate, can imagine the pain and frustration you are going through....

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds to me like you have a gateway fault. Every thing is getting power yet no communication from the gateway to tell it to activate.

Find your gateway, find your problem.

Usually on VW's it's the instrument cluster. I'm unsure on the RS.

Like I said In my last post, everything will have power and will seem ok, but there will be a fault with the control module. Like you say it isn't cheap replacing parts at a guess, but if everything has power going to it and your earths are ok, it can only be a control module, IE gateway.

If your gateway was your instrument cluster then it would explain the immobiliser light and the non start.

If the car was scanned with the proper IDS tool, it would have given you a fault code for no communication. You don't want to just scan the PCM, you want to scan every control module on the car and see what one has a fault code stored in and go from there. It has to be something that can read everything, not just engine control module fault codes.

(Where are you based? I'll come take a look myself if your not too far)
Hi George

I'm based in Kent .. And I'm happy to sort anyone out with a kind hand to have a look..

·
Super Moderator
BMW 1M
10,784 Posts
I've had a look at some info I've got and it's a bit complicated, especially when you've got different modules that have to communicate with each other as mentioned by George above.

One of the common denominators though is the CJB (central junction box) behind the passenger glove box.

Have you thoroughly checked the wiring and connectors on the CJB?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've had a look at some info I've got and it's a bit complicated, especially when you've got different modules that have to communicate with each other as mentioned by George above.

One of the common denominators though is the CJB (central junction box) behind the passenger glove box.

Have you thoroughly checked the wiring and connectors on the CJB?
Yes Andy.

We had that totally apart last night. Checked and re checked ,

1 - 20 of 51 Posts