Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if the mountune recirc valve is serviceable at all in any way?

I'm pretty sure my valve is sticking at the moment, before I take it off to have a look at it, I wondered if anyone can tell me if its a fit and forget item? or if its possible to take it apart and clean it out, check the seals and operation of the piston and then refit etc...?

from what i have read its a bit of a pain to fit, so I'd rather know my options first before i start any work :nice:

the reason i think its sticking is sometimes i get the nice turbo flutter coming back through my open ended mountune filter, and other times its just quiet and all i can hear is exhaust noise with no flutter from the turbo... the valve has been on the car a few years now and was originally fitted @ HQ when I went MR375

Any ideas? anyone else had a similar experience with the MT valve, or any other recirc for that matter?

Cheers

·
Registered
15,690 Posts
I would give mountune a call as ive not got to that point yet

But it's a good question and something I will eventually need to know

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's a tiny screw in it which looks like you could undo to access the internals and possibly service.
:nice: thats what i also thought, it does look like it could be taken apart, just wondered if anyone has done it? ideally i only want to take it off once, so i want to either be able to repair / service it, or replace and have a part ready to hand.

Looked like a sealed item to me Tony mate.
If you suspected it faulty maybe a new one is best way to go.
i did think about just buying a new one to replace it with, but if it is serviceable then hopefully its a bit cheaper to just replace the seals :nice:

I will ask about seal prices

But they do have them in stock
:thumbsup: top man Cheers Rico, i didnt get the chance to give them a call before 17:00 tonight

·
Registered
441 Posts
I just put a little grease in mine, when mine was sticking and all ok since. I was told it was down to the re-circ valve having to dissimilar metals and expanding with the heat not saying it gets mega hot just warm enough to expand.

·
Premium Member
MK2 MR420 Clubsport
730 Posts
Good to know this, may as well ask them to replace the seal when they're fitting the hybrid turbo for MR420 8)

Simon

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I just put a little grease in mine, when mine was sticking and all ok since. I was told it was down to the re-circ valve having to dissimilar metals and expanding with the heat not saying it gets mega hot just warm enough to expand.
Good to know cheers Alan :nice: when yours was sticking did you have any other symptoms? only curious ;)

·
Registered
15,690 Posts
Ok had a chat this morning and from what I can make of this its not a diy job (not saying you can't but the check list won't allow you to cover two of the tests

Mountune

The 'o' rings would be minimal in cost, labour wise you would need to strip down,clean,crack-test & inspect and then rebuild with new o-rings possibly replace the spring and we use a specially formulated grease for the valve and then it is vacuum tested on a calibrated unit which we have here.

So it is not a simple as replacing the o-rings and that's it, building takes around 20 mins per unit, to refurb would probably take around 45 mins roughly
we can refurb the TRV for a price of £40 all inclusive,unless the main body part(s) of the valve is damaged as this would require a new unit.
The £40 charge does not include removal and re-install to the vehicle, this would obviously be price per vehicle model if car is at HQ
Or add postage and packing if delivered

Everyone has been made aware of these items and costings but
Please contact "Fred clack " as he is your point of contact and can advise accordingly

·
Premium Member
9,996 Posts
Nice one mate, at least people know they can get them sorted if they start encountering problems! :yep:
:nice:

·
Registered
15,690 Posts
Nice one mate, at least people know they can get them sorted if they start encountering problems! :yep:
:nice:
In fairness up till yesterday the thought hadn't crossed my mind on a possible future problem
Yeah you're right we needed to know
Mountune were more than happy to share the info and repair them if needs must

Custard club

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
If it fails I'll probably buy a new one. But then I don't know the reliability of the item and if it'll need a refurb sooner than later; issue is whether it'll be still for sale then. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it I think. It may be that a refurb maybe the only solution, assuming I stick with a Mountune one.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok had a chat this morning and from what I can make of this its not a diy job (not saying you can't but the check list won't allow you to cover two of the tests

Mountune

The 'o' rings would be minimal in cost, labour wise you would need to strip down,clean,crack-test & inspect and then rebuild with new o-rings possibly replace the spring and we use a specially formulated grease for the valve and then it is vacuum tested on a calibrated unit which we have here.

So it is not a simple as replacing the o-rings and that's it, building takes around 20 mins per unit, to refurb would probably take around 45 mins roughly
we can refurb the TRV for a price of £40 all inclusive,unless the main body part(s) of the valve is damaged as this would require a new unit.
The £40 charge does not include removal and re-install to the vehicle, this would obviously be price per vehicle model if car is at HQ
Or add postage and packing if delivered

Everyone has been made aware of these items and costings but
Please contact "Fred clack " as he is your point of contact and can advise accordingly
Top man Rico :bow: i was just on my lunch break and about to give MT HQ a call, you saved me a job :nice: good to know that the item can be serviced, and i think £40 is a fair price all things considered.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Does anyone happen to know what size ball headed Allen key is needed for the three bolts?

Cheers :nice:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts