Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Tess failed MOT last week for a broken spring. Happened some time ago judging by its condition... and the others were pretty ropey too (42k BTW)...

Anyway, this was just the encouragement needed to fit Eibachs..

OMG, what a revelation!!! Why didn't Ford fit these as standard? What an improvement for £150 of parts.

If you are wavering, get them... Could be the best mod ever...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Eibachs do transform the car IMO. Feels a lot better to drive, and doesn't drop it too low to make it a pain in the **** for multistory car parks, speed bumps etc.

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
Good to hear... :nice:
I'm scraping my splitter on standard ride height in steep multi-storey car parks but speed bumps are ok but I really would like to ditch the standard crashy suspension! :wacko:

·
Premium Member
13,250 Posts
So Tess failed MOT last week for a broken spring. Happened some time ago judging by its condition... and the others were pretty ropey too (42k BTW)...

Anyway, this was just the encouragement needed to fit Eibachs..

OMG, what a revelation!!! Why didn't Ford fit these as standard? What an improvement for £150 of parts.

If you are wavering, get them... Could be the best mod ever...
were there any symptoms to show you had a broken spring?

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
In hindsight yes. The spring failed some time ago with a loud clang... Car was inspected at the time with nothing found probably because the break was within the location cone and was difficult to see.

The break was found on MOT, probably because it had time to open a bit more. THe fracture surfaces were corroded (consistent with the time after failure) with shiny spots (consistent with the spring moving about).

Since the failure, the rear tyre in that corner has worn on the inside edge strangely - patches of higher then lower wear around the circumference - almost as if the wheel was skipping... I guess the broken spring stopped the car pushing the tyre into the road as effectively as normal.

I guess without the loud clang to inform you, if the spring was broken but still located (my fracture was within the bottom turn of the spring - the other side was corroded in exactly the same place), then you might not notice... You would need to check carefully with the springs unloaded, so a four-post lift would be best.

Hope that helps...

EDITED: to add more detail

1 - 10 of 10 Posts