Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

My name is Grant - long time lurker.

As the title suggests, I currently own an ST running RS power. Its the best car I've ever owned and I'd never hesitate to recommend one to anyone - great motor.

Since I laid eyes on an RS I've wanted one but could never afford it, however times have changed and I could budget up to around 22k now. The concept of owning an RS is very exciting but my head keeps chiming in reminding me how spot on my ST is, speaking to non petrol head family members doesn't help as they can't see the difference! :blink:

Don't get me wrong I am aware of the technical advances of the RS over the ST and don't debate the RS being the better car, I don't intend the thread to go down the route of ST vs. RS as we've all been there already :FADH:

What I would like to ask is, bearing in mind many of you came from ST's what are your thoughts? Was the RS 110% worth the premium? Any negatives for you personally etc..?

And heres a quick pic...

FullSizeRender-2_zpsjgtvphi2.jpg

Cheers guys, hope to get to know some more of you a little better :thumbsup:

-Grant

·
Premium Member
20,308 Posts
Hi Grant welcome aboard mate never had an ST so can't comment on them but good to have you with us :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Welcome along. I'm not an RS owner but I would say from comments I've seen it would definetly be worth the change.

If you have 22k RS direct would be a good start as you can get a nicely modified one at that price.

·
Registered
213 Posts
When I was looking for a new car, I never budgeted for an rs. I planned to get a 13k 60plate st3... things soon changed,another year saving and I got one... they hold the value well.. but I'd love to have an ST aswell...

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Welcome mate.
I came from a standard facelift st & yes, it is worth the extra, but I was like you, I really wanted an rs but couldn't afford it at that time.
I used my st every day, but I'm fortunate that I don't need to use the rs everyday, so can't comment on that.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Do it mate you won't regret it. As I've said many times on FSTOC and on here in the thread with the VXR guy, a standard RS won't feel quick compared to your modded ST. Certainly aren't slow but just don't expect it to be as quick. The whole package of the RS is just in a different league compared to the ST. When I had the ST I always wanted a RS but always said is it really worth the extra money? But it's not until you own one and live with it everyday you realize it's special.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I had a STmp260 and an RSmr375

Both are great but the overall package of an RS is way ahead of the ST. Only the ride harshness may be inferior but that is because the RS grip is way beyond that of an ST.
But it's the attention it gets on a daily basis that is most noticeable when you make the change...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Welcome fella. I had an St2 with a Ds on it so it was pretty rapid. Decided I HAD to have an Rs as I always said I would get one so sold the St and drove an old Fiesta about while saving and sorting my debts. Bought my Rs on April 1st (no joke) and I have never looked back. The power delivery seems much better but the noise of the engine just does it for me. Looking at getting my first mods in the next couple of months which apparently will make it a completely different car.
I can only assume it will be like the difference my St was when I put the Ds on it but the Rs in my opinion is the better all round car. Looks, sound, performance. Oh and wait til you get stuck in traffic and feel all the eyes on you! Definitely do it - no regrets

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
To be fair, it depends on what is being asked here. If you're looking for a comparison of a heavily modified ST (internals wise) v an RS then the chances are that the ST will have better performance and hence you would miss the power you currently have.

However, the RS is much more than just about the figures on paper. It's a more aggressive looking car, compared with the ST and has a better road presence and 'look' because of this. For me (as an ex ST owner) this made the change worthwhile.

An RS equally can of course be modified and then performance can be significantly lifted from what a base RS will offer.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Thanks for the welcome guys, I wasn't sure how well this thread would be taken! so thank you for that.

I think you guys have made my mind up :nice:

What should I be looking for at the 22k mark then? - this did catch my eye and the trade in on the ST ain't too bad either! http://www.rs-direct.co.uk/sales_detail.php?idno=694#.VgkLf_lVhBc
It looks good. You need to make sure it has all the corresponding paper work for the mountune upgrade. Maybe worth a trip to look at it in detail

·
Premium Member
13,255 Posts
Firstly :welcome: The car you pointed out at RSD looks nice. Lux1, USB, leather are the same options I went for when I purchased mine new in 2009. Car is just about run in with that sort of mileage. MP350 is a good base upgrade from std, think 375 or 420 for your next upgrades though.

Never owned a quick ST but had a test drive in a std one and I must say that I wasn't very impressed as I was driving a MK1 at the time.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Might be worth mentioning to you that the mp350 has its own insurance category so will not need to be listed as a modded car.

·
Premium Member
3,655 Posts
Hi Grant, before the RS I owned a (unmodified) PFL ST, loved it but always had my sights on an RS, for me it was the one to have! :thumbsup: So whilst I can't really offer much advice as I went from an unmodified ST to an unmodified RS (and mechanically it still is), the move for me felt immense, and i've never regretted it one bit! If you can afford, just do it :nice:

Take your time searching, there are still plenty of good ones out there. 8)

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Hi grant

Welcome to a great forum I've had 3x ST mk2 and mk3 versions all I enjoyed owning but the RS ownership is something else it just feels so special to own not once did anyone comment on any of my ST cars but the RS attracts some great comments

As for performance I agree with others a modded ST is quick and a standard RS may struggle to match it but if modding lights your candle then the RS is on another level to get your juices flowing

Well worth the money to swap do it you will not regret it mate

·
Premium Member
Dave - PB Mk2 2009 - 1 Owner ME.
11,443 Posts
Welcome Grant, do yourself a big favour and take out a full membership.

It will give you access to the technical area of this forum and will more than answer your questions about how the RS drives, handles performs etc and more. Although you might regret the ideas it will create for upgrades.

Also get yourself along to a local meet and go out with some owners in standard and upgraded cars, you wil fell the difference even in the passenger seat.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Welcome grant , I always wanted an RS but never quite had enough money do had a 10 plate st3 very nice car , one day decided sod it I'm getting an RS so went to RS direct and got one , best thing I ever did but cost you a small fortune because we all say I staying standard yeah right down s few grand but up to nearly 400 good times .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts