Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Article from the German sourced website http://www.hasselwander.co.uk/gkn-liefert-innovatives-allradsystem-fuer-den-ford-focus-rs/

Apologies for the translation

Quite an interesting night time read

GKN Automotive, the world leader in powertrain technologies, has developed a new version of its twin Ster torque vectoring all-wheel system for the Ford Focus RS. The combination of translation offset and innovative control algorithms provides improved torque vectoring functionality and helped Ford to develop a vehicle with outstanding driving dynamics performance.

The specially developed for the Ford Focus RS Twin Ster technology will be presented at the booth of GKN (H 5.1, B32) at the IAA Frankfurt.

GKN was awarded the contract for the Ford Focus RS program only 18 months before the launch. During this time the engineers at GKN the rear axle torque vectoring (RDM) and the Power Transfer Unit (PTU) and the CVJ side shafts have developed and integrated into the front-wheel drive-based platform. To the system in the existing space to "packagen", a deep feature integration of the system components required. The GKN software and calibration teams have jointly developed with Ford vehicle dynamics engineers new control algorithms for the Torque Vectoring system to provide such a drive train with four different driving modes can.

How the system works by GKN

When Ford Focus RS a wheel system GKN with PTU and a rear axle with twin Ster-coupling system is used. GKN's Twin Ster technology can distribute wheel-selective torque to the wheels. This allows dynamic torque vectoring capabilities of the vehicle over the entire speed range.

The latest version of the Twin Ster-system in the Focus RS detected driving situation and driver demand and regulates this optimal torque distribution to each wheel. If the wheel drive is activated, Twin Ster drives the rear wheels faster than the front wheels.

This effect changes the driving characteristics and handling fundamentally. In curves the twin Ster technology allows more agile oversteering and a direct response to the driver's commands. In Ford "Drift mode" distributes the wheel drive system even more torque to the rear axle in order to settle so enough power to the wheels of the RS and to allow a controlled drift through corners.

Other "Torque Vectoring systems" use the brake system for simple vectoring effects, however, which lead to a deceleration of the vehicle. A fully dynamic torque vectoring requires an intelligent drive system, which can transmit the driving wheel-selective moments. Significantly Improve Performance and pure driving pleasure with reduced braking intervention are the result.

Edward Kwon, Senior Director GKN Driveline AWD Product Technology, finally said, "all-wheel models like the Ford Focus RS write the rules for new drive systems - and innovation at GKN assist in their implementation. Our expertise in dynamic torque vectoring helps his model and to set new performance standards.

Vehicle manufacturers can achieve the best possible solution for their global platform through cooperation with GKN to standard all-wheel systems and Torque Vectoring versions. "

Automotive design Auto part Machine Engineering Automotive air manifold

Attachments

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Can't wait to see the road tests on this. On paper it should smash the golf r and a45 if it does what they are claiming

·
Registered
400 Posts
I still dont really understand it, way too complicated & dread to think what happens if it breaks! :cry: :whistle: :wink:
It means that ford have developed an AWD system that connects the front wheels to the back wheels by 'elastic bands' :yep:

So if you hear a 'TWANG' when driving it............ it may not be your knicker elastic ..... again !! :blush: .

Technical advice brought to you by ............. Clare :bleh:

·
Premium Member
23,438 Posts
Better then Fwd or Haldex Awd used by others ?
We will soon find out :nice:
For everyday use on the road, which is what the majority will use the car for, i doubt it will make much difference to the ordinary driver, as i say, i wonder how strong the system will be & reliability would be my big worry, i'd rather see a tried & tested system if i'm honest. :yep:

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
For everyday use on the road, which is what the majority will use the car for, i doubt it will make much difference to the ordinary driver, as i say, i wonder how strong the system will be & reliability would be my big worry, i'd rather see a tried & tested system if i'm honest. :yep:
You could say revoknuckle wouldn't make much difference day to day or the quaife ATB diff, but I for one will be glad to be driving the pinnacle of ford engineering in the shape of the new RS. If it breaks, they will fix it 😊

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.