Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Has anybody on here owned a mk3 ST too would like to know what people think of them.

So a series of unfortunate events job wise have cast a cloud over how long i keep my RS. I originally bought my MK1 to drive as a daily until i realised just how thirsty it was, 16mpg is on average what the car does even if im sensible it doesn't get above 20mpg. I then bought a :censored: old KA as a daily so the focus turned into a weekend car. But now due to the loss of my job and now needing a new job it looks like i will need to be driving further to work than my current 6 mile journey.

The RS unfortunately just isn't a viable option to run daily 30-40 miles as it would use a tank of fuel every week and the KA is for lack of better words an awful car so I don't want to be stuck in it for 2hours a day. I have been looking at the MK3 ST. Whilst being a similar engine to the MK1 RS a friend of mine has a MK3 ST and even around town his car still returns 28mpg and on a long run to his work it goes to mid 30's.

Would people see this as a good swap or suggest other cars to look at

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would you not be better with new st diesel?
the thought had gone through my mind but they're still best part of 20k second hand which i dont have. id be looking at 15-16k and the diesels are slighly too far out of touch being the facelift models

·
Registered
5,977 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I've had mk3 ST it would a good car to use every day and such a nice place to sit if I had to swap my RS for a more daily commuter mk3 ST would be my choice
I would like to try the ST diesel to compare

·
Registered
170 Posts
Tbh I wouldn't be considering that as a car for what you need it for. Looking for something sporty, comfortable on a commute and with enough toys to make commuting relaxing whilst returning good mpg I'd be looking more at something like this http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/bmw/e90-3-series-05-12/2008-e92-bmw-335d-m-sport-coupe--only-62k--fsh--heated-leather--cruise--xenons--2008/4772306 (1st one that came up on pistonheads)
yeah i have been looking at like 320d and a4/a5 diesels. whilst the spec on the ones ive been looking at is very high im just not really taken by them for some reason. They will stay an option however
I've had mk3 ST it would a good car to use every day and such a nice place to sit if I had to swap my RS for a more daily commuter mk3 ST would be my choice
I would like to try the ST diesel to compare
thats interesting to see as an opinion. The diesel ST is nice but i think i prefer the pre-facelift front end whcih would push me more towards the petrol version.
20k brand new bud for basic st2, best deal on carwow.
will check that out

·
Registered
78 Posts
I ran a mark 1 from brand new for 10 years as a daily driver clocking 124,000 miles daily commute was 35 miles , I had a stage one re- map from Demon Pete which improved the the fuel consumption 330 - 350 miles to a tankfull ,plus an slight increase in b.h.p. with no other mods, 16 m.p.g seems very poor, does your engine have a lot of mods.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ran a mark 1 from brand new for 10 years as a daily driver clocking 124,000 miles daily commute was 35 miles , I had a stage one re- map from Demon Pete which improved the the fuel consumption 330 - 350 miles to a tankfull ,plus an slight increase in b.h.p. with no other mods, 16 m.p.g seems very poor, does your engine have a lot of mods.
not really no; full exhaust system, ggr cais. it may be me being a child in it which lowers the mpg but it really does struggle to get to 20mpg. having said that i dont do very long runs in it, last long journey it went on was to Ford Fair which was a 270mile round trip and even then i needed petrol before i got home

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
I've got a Mk1 RS & a Mk2 RS. My other half has a Mk3 ST3. We've now got Mountune MP275 on her and it's a great everyday car. They handle well straight out of the box and the interior is spot on. Even where we live we get 32mpg, so it's less thirsty than the Mk1 by a long way.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got a Mk1 RS & a Mk2 RS. My other half has a Mk3 ST3. We've now got Mountune MP275 on her and it's a great everyday car. They handle well straight out of the box and the interior is spot on. Even where we live we get 32mpg, so it's less thirsty than the Mk1 by a long way.
cor some are lucky!

see 32mpg i could live daily. Thats best part of 1.5x better than what im getting currently in the focus and i wouldnt be as worried about clocking up unecassary miles in an ST as i am in the RS. It still gets driven but probably not as much as it should due to me being aware of the increasing value for lower mileage MK1's

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
cor some are lucky!
see 32mpg i could live daily. Thats best part of 1.5x better than what im getting currently in the focus and i wouldnt be as worried about clocking up unecassary miles in an ST as i am in the RS. It still gets driven but probably not as much as it should due to me being aware of the increasing value for lower mileage MK1's
I'm pretty certain with decent roads you'd get a lot more than 32mpg. All the mileage we do is on hilly, twisty lanes. Factor in dual carriageways and motorways and you'd get lots more to the gallon. And it's lots better than my old Mk2 ST3, I was lucky to see over 20mpg with that.......much like the Mk1 RS. The Mk3 ST is a great place to be. The leather Recaros on the ST3 are mega comfy.

Would you be after a pre face?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm pretty certain with decent roads you'd get a lot more than 32mpg. All the mileage we do is on hilly, twisty lanes. Factor in dual carriageways and motorways and you'd get lots more to the gallon. And it's lots better than my old Mk2 ST3, I was lucky to see over 20mpg with that.......much like the Mk1 RS. The Mk3 ST is a great place to be. The leather Recaros on the ST3 are mega comfy.

Would you be after a pre face?
pretty much most of my journeys from where i live to a bigger town/city would be a daily commute of main roads, maybe a bit of back lane but wouldnt be loads.
in reality as well as being the cheaper of the 2 i actually prefer the pre facelift models. I test drove a ST diesel this morning and wasn't really that impressed with it so i think a petrol would be the way to go too.
as for the interior luckily they're all the same other than seats but i dont even mind the recaros with the car colour on in little patches.

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
pretty much most of my journeys from where i live to a bigger town/city would be a daily commute of main roads, maybe a bit of back lane but wouldnt be loads.
in reality as well as being the cheaper of the 2 i actually prefer the pre facelift models. I test drove a ST diesel this morning and wasn't really that unimpressed with it so i think a petrol would be the way to go too.
as for the interior luckily they're all the same other than seats but i dont even mind the recaros with the car colour on in little patches.
The other big difference with the ST3 is that it has Xenons and led drls. The leather Recaros are loads nicer than the cloth versions too. Later pre faces have smoked lenses on the headlights too. I prefer the pre face too, as the rear bumper looks better.

My other half's brother had a facelift ST2 in diesel form. He didn't get on with it either.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The other big difference with the ST3 is that it has Xenons and led drls. The leather Recaros are loads nicer than the cloth versions too. Later pre faces have smoked lenses on the headlights too. I prefer the pre face too, as the rear bumper looks better.

My other half's brother had a facelift ST2 in diesel form. He didn't get on with it either.
yeah id noticed the smoked lenses. the seats im not overly fussed on but i have just found a mint ST3 for a reasonable price; but ive also been shown a fully forged stage 2 revo TS ST2 which is only 1k more expensive. but not sure id really need a forged 300hp as a daily.

yeah the diesel one didnt excite me in the slightest and the sound they play through the car is ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
yeah id noticed the smoked lenses. the seats im not overly fussed on but i have just found a mint ST3 for a reasonable price; but ive also been shown a fully forged stage 2 revo TS ST2 which is only 1k more expensive. but not sure id really need a forged 300hp as a daily.
yeah the diesel one didnt excite me in the slightest and the sound they play through the car is ridiculous.
I'd prefer the standard one personally. As you say, it's a daily so you don't really need 300bhp.

Ours goes great with Mountune on. It's such a smooth map, & really drive able.

And as for the stupid symposier pipe......ugh, it's such an artificial noise. You can do symposier delete if it annoys you too much.

The lights on an ST2 are pretty rubbish. I'd go for an ST3 with Xenons every time...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd prefer the standard one personally. As you say, it's a daily so you don't really need 300bhp.

Ours goes great with Mountune on. It's such a smooth map, & really drive able.

And as for the stupid symposier pipe......ugh, it's such an artificial noise. You can do symposier delete if it annoys you too much.

The lights on an ST2 are pretty rubbish. I'd go for an ST3 with Xenons every time...
would prefer a standard one so all work i know whats been done on it to as i inevitably would modify it. yeah may look into the MP kit if i get an st, i had my old fiesta mountune mapped and i never had any complaints about that map either.

yeh the symposer thing is utterly ridiculous; **** idea whos ever it was. i probably would do the delete just to not have it.

yeah i didnt realise the st3 had this bi-xenon setup of whatever it is. ST3 definately seems to be the best spec to go for overall.

thanks for all your help

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Good luck with your search. There are lots out there, so it pays to take your time looking for the right one.

St3 with style pack and you won't go far wrong. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts