Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went to the BMC's (British Mini Club) Mini Day at Himley Hall yesterday. Despite the glorious weather (
) we had a really good time. Loved the classic Minis, especially the Z-Cars...

Anyway, one of the highlights for me was the line up of MINI GPs. There must have been 20 or so, both GP1s and GP2s. I have to say, seeing 1s and 2s side by side was a bit of an eye opener - and now I'm a total convert... whilst I love the supercharged engine I didn't particularly like the GP1; but the GP2 is a MUCH better looker than the GP1. This is the only version of the turbocharged car that looks better than the R50/R53 range IMHO... There was one GP2 on the show & shine that had enormous brakes...

So, am I going to buy a GP2 - no. But it's a fabulous car.

Attached are some piccys of the Z-Car with the rear mounted Yamaha R1 engine. Now one of these I might buy...
There's also a Mini someone squeezed in Mugen engine into, and a cool rat-style Traveller. I wonder when the "rat" look will grace an
?

Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Vehicle Car Steering wheel Steering part Motor vehicle
Car Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Tire
Car Vehicle Hood Grille Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
My son and his girlfriend were there yesterday in her Mini GP1 (No 1904 I think) - he had to miss the RSOC event at Heaves for the 2nd year running !!!!

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
I went to this meeting. Took my GP along with the GP owners club. Spoke to your son and Sam, Paul JA.

Paul, the big brakes you mention are standard on the GP2. They are 6 pot brembo with 330mm discs. The GP on the show n shine display was running oem brakes.

Met up for breakfast first for those that wanted it.

As already posted up. This little devil has a tuned R1 engine in it.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I'd have known you were there, I'd have come and found you!! I went in the RS, only one there I think... Ironically, we left the MINI at home...

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll be going to MITP at Santa Pod... got camping tickets too. Might even take the MINI...

My friend is a hard over classic Mini guy though...

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I went to this meeting. Took my GP along with the GP owners club. Spoke to your son and Sam, Paul JA.

Paul, the big brakes you mention are standard on the GP2. They are 6 pot brembo with 330mm discs. The GP on the show n shine display was running oem brakes.

Met up for breakfast first for those that wanted it.

Great pictures Mike!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I love the ZCars, but haven't the time or the marbles to build one. I've seen one with 2 (yep) R1 engines in, and therefore 4WD. A friend of mine had one with a turbo Hyabusa engine putting out 300 bhp and used to drag race it. Awesome.

They are commanding real money though - 10-15k for a good one.

http://www.zcars.org.uk/

I did have an interesting thought - how about an RS engine in a Mini...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts