Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there are any advantages in having a metal crossover pipe say a spec-R one for example over an OEM one, or is it purely for looks?

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Many big bhp cars still running standard cross over. I'm contemplating returning mine to standard. I have spec r on mine

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
I've heard standard one is best. Some after market ones can cause problems. Some, not all. Others will know best, mine is standard.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
i think the only ones that caused problems were the ones that were a bigger diameter

most of them nowadays are same diameter as the OEM pipe

i only changed mine as the plastic crossover got damaged on one of the ends from overtightening, was cheaper to buy an alloy than replacement plastic

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I've noticed no difference in running, sound or performance (good or bad) by changing to a metal one...other than the fact that I think it looks amazing 8)

This ProAlloy version is wider than standard, but narrows to the correct diameter ahead of the MAF sensor. They do a wide (non-narrowing) version too.

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Premium Member
RS mk2 MR375
1,772 Posts
Performance wise, if the metal crossover has the same cross sectional area as the plastic one, it wont make any difference at all.....

If you make a metal one with a bigger diamater than the plastic one, llowing a smaller pressure drop through the pipe than standard, so helping performance, then the MAF wont work properly as the air velocity past it has changed.

Stick to the plastic one unless you like shiny things to look at....

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
I have had several different crossovers, but as some have said its mainly down to looks. I did however have all the large boost pipes made even bigger, and the airtec stage 3 inlet and outlet made bigger by AS as a one off. Now I'm on syvecs I'm also running a bigger group A than normal and a 90mm crossover pipe which is a must to feed more air to the turbo on my build.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.