Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

Been lurking on and off on the forum for a few months now as I was unsure if I would be in a position to buy one or not. Long story but after selling my rental flat which should complete any day now and not being able to afford to move still I have some money burning a hole in my pocket shortly.

The MK2 RS is top of my list but there are a couple things bugging me I wanted to ask about? I had a MK5 R32 about 18 months ago but got rid of it to save for a house and I got a corsa vxr to run to save money.

Anyway what I wanted to know was is it a car you can drive every day and feel comfortable in? I drive 40 miles a day for work and as much as I like the corsa the ride is a bit hard and the seats do my back in a bit if I am sitting in traffic for ages. Also are they silly money to maintain? I know it won't be cheap but things like servicing how much should I expect and tyres will I have to change regularly? The R32 had things like haldex oil etc to change every so often which was a pain in the wallet.

Also my wife (who loves her cars) will use it now and again and she hates the corsa due to the seats,ride and trying to get in and out of it. Is the Focus a bit more practical? Got no kids and don't plan on any but I do cart my niece and nephew about a few times a week and again they struggle getting in and out the corsa. They all miss the golf but £500 a year road tax etc is just stupid.

Also I know they hold there money well but as I will clock up miles will the price fall a lot do you think after having it 3 or 4 years? And would it be hard to shift with high miles? I think maybe not as its a icon like the Cosworth but I could be wrong. My budget if I got one is about 20k but thats right at the top of it so would I struggle to find a unmodded one with under 50k on the clock? Only real issue I can find about the MK2 is the inlet manifold cracks. Is it worth upgrading it and if so would I have to remap the car after

The other 2 choices of car on my list are the Scirrocco R and E46 M3 but the RS just seems to do it more for me looks wise. Nearer the time when I am ready to find one could someone take me out in theres in exchange for beer or beer tokens? I will prob start in March as the car market should start to pick up and ill shift the corsa easier.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Your budget is healthy. Should be able to pick up a low mileage one for that money.
The ride on the standard suspension is fine but it's all relative, what you think is soft someone might think is hard. So become a member on here and go to a local meet depending on your location and speak to members. Many are friendly and will take you out. It's comfortable enough to drive every day and practical too, it is a focus. If you're putting kids in the back, well it's a 3 door and that makes it less practical. But if it's every now and then it's not an issue.
Maintenance is fine. I service at Mountune and pay around 250-300 a year. That's not excessive. Depending on the map or upgrades you have fuel efficiency will vary. Mountune maps usually provide good mpg. Tyre wear depends on your driving. And since you've had a fast car you probably already know that can range from 7 to even 20 thousand miles. Insurance should be fine if you've covered a golf r32 before but make sure you have a good aftermarket alarm on it as they get stolen, and a disklok. They attract a lot of good and bad attention. The plenum, yes change it. You're most likely going to find that the one you buy has already been upgraded.
They're holding their value well but with anything high miles reduces the price. Personally I've seen cars with 50-60k miles go for good money. All about how it's maintained so make sure to keep the FSH going.
The other choices - I don't like the scirocco personally and the BMW yes is a nice choice.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Right then where do we start. I use my car most days and I have a bad back and find the RS spot on, not too firm but great support. Running costs are just about the same as a normal Focus so once a year for servicing however I am running MR 375 so I change my oil and filter every six months as well. I had my car from new, has now covered 50k miles and drives as good as it did when I had it. For me Mountune is the way I would go if I was buying, MP350 good solid state of tune, MR 375 mild mannered 28mpg everyday driving up to 34 mpg long journeys but a real beast if pushed hard and goes like a train. The MK2 RS is a classic in the making great fun to drive very practical and cheap to run given the epic performance oh and of course pop star looks that make you smile every time you drive it.

In my opinion due to emissions and green fever currently gripping the world I doubt if Ford will ever make a car like the MK2 again.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Be careful seeking advice here other than technical, as we are a bit biased. It is definitely a very firm ride, it is noisy, it has a poor turning circle, it attracts good and bad attention on a daily basis, it is not frugal, the steering and clutch are heavy, it's basically a bit mad....but it's brilliant.

As a daily drive there are better cars. As a a hot hatch with low depreciation, astonishing performance, and a wow factor it is the best...

·
Premium Member
23,887 Posts
Be careful seeking advice here other than technical, as we are a bit biased. It is definitely a very firm ride, it is noisy, it has a poor turning circle, it attracts good and bad attention on a daily basis, it is not frugal, the steering and clutch are heavy, it's basically a bit mad....but it's brilliant.

As a daily drive there are better cars. As a a hot hatch with low depreciation, astonishing performance, and a wow factor it is the best...
So in short, it's rubbish & over rated! :yep: :laughing:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.