Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Firstly apologies for the long post but I can't debate this in my head any longer and need someone else's input :lol: :)

The continuation of the unknown cause for rubbing away the rear of the front arch liner and the inevitable trial and error of replacing parts to find a cure as got my mind wandering

Am I fighting a loosing battle using the RS as a track car and should I move on to something more purpose built?

Like an exige? http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/exige-s2/lotus-exige-s-245bhp-touring-and-sports-packs-in-aspen-white/4675804

I love using my RS on track, it's loads of fun, pretty straight forward to drive fast on the limit and with all the mods and its large amount of torque make it's very very quick.

I love the underdog nature of the car.

No one expects a car of that size or weight to be so fast. I like the challenge of trying to play with cars it shouldn't compete with.

What I don't like is the fact I think these troubles with suspension components / bushes are likely to get more common or potentially worse.

Is the RS designed for these kind of forces? In my eyes not really, it's based on a focus at the end of the day.

This year my cars covered 2352 miles since its last MOT and in that time has done 5 trackdays.

It's had the following replaced;
4 x tyres
Front Pads (pagid rs29)
Rear pads (ds2500)
Ap600 brake fluid

I know tracking in any car won't be cheap but something lighter and more purpose built would surely reduce the wear?

Most importantly I wouldn't have issues as a result of tracking the car as its designed for it?

Will I miss what I like about the RS or will an exige give me new thrills?

Is the circa 4k upgrade to an exige actually going to be an upgrade?

Thoughts please boys and girls :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Never done a track day but I can say every car I have had its been fantastic but as it goes on we all want them better no matter wot car car we get we will Al ways try to make it faster and all cars have issues we only find when we drive them
No help I know sorry

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have always had a lightweight track car had lots of elises westfields and a supercharged exige.
I bought my exige new when the supercharged version come out in 06 and kept it for nearly 7 happy years wish i could have kept it, but my point is i miss this car massively and if you only need a track / weekend toy then an exige will fit your bill and you will not regret it.

Make sure you get a supercharged one if you change, can get them to 300 bhp very easily and get some nitron or ohlins dampers and not much will ever get past you on track!

·
Premium Member
3,654 Posts
Definitely a dilemma Craig, however would purchasing a dedicated track car mean selling the RS? From the way you have written your post I'm guessing not, though i'm not sure...

If you are able to hang onto the RS and have a separate dedicated track car, then this would be the most desirable option imo; this would reduce the number of track days you do in the RS and thus reduce the wear and tear on the components you have mentioned. At the end of the day, there's nothing to say you can't still take the RS on track, but it would be less frequent.

If however you DO have to sell the RS in order to fund the purchase of a track car, that's not quite so easy to answer, and unfortunately a decision that I can't offer any advice on! :smile: Whilst an Exige would be a hoot, there is also the option of buying a cheaper car and turn it into a track car - at the end of the day, all you need is something light, with a bit of power and that handles well... :whistle: Good luck :nice:

EDIT: just looked at the link to the Exige, and the price tag that goes with it; i'm guessing you ARE thinking of selling the RS to fund it! :smile: I could be wrong though... :whistle: :blush:

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To be clear this would be replacing the RS. I can't afford to run 3 cars :blink: and I think the wife would kill me :lol:

·
Registered
795 Posts
Bud you can chuck endless money at a track day car...i started years ago with an impreza did a few track days in her got the bug and then turned her into a 450 bhp monster..and ruined her.yes it was fast hanled like she was on rails and stopped on a pin head...but it was now really just a track car,and i can tell you one thing you put 450 bhp down on the track and people will still fly past cos they have 500 bhp.....its a never ending game. Take her on track and enjoy her as she is trust me. Little bit of maths to put you off....classic uk impreza bought for 17,500 from dealer with px deal, 40,000 in mods over ten years ....sold for 5,500 with very low mileage and in mint codition. Car would have been worth more in standered form.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have always had a lightweight track car had lots of elises westfields and a supercharged exige.
I bought my exige new when the supercharged version come out in 06 and kept it for nearly 7 happy years wish i could have kept it, but my point is i miss this car massively and if you only need a track / weekend toy then an exige will fit your bill and you will not regret it.

Make sure you get a supercharged one if you change, can get them to 300 bhp very easily and get some nitron or ohlins dampers and not much will ever get past you on track!
Thanks for the input. From your experience what kind of prices are involved to get an s2 exige to 300bhp? I'm assuming a Nitron or Ohlins set up would be 2k+

·
Registered
795 Posts
Lol ohlins are mental money and you need them rebuilt fairly regularly too ohlins would be 3k plus all day

·
Premium Member
3,654 Posts
To be clear this would be replacing the RS. I can't afford to run 3 cars :blink: and I think the wife would kill me :lol:
Then i'm afraid I can't help you Craig! :laughing: That is such a pig of a decision to make, I have no idea, but i'll wish you good luck :nice: Let us know what you decide.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I was just thinking of sending you a PM after reading your problems on another post with regards the "Rubbing away the rear of the front arch liner" when I saw this post.

I have the same problem, I still have the original bushes for the lower control arm and have (but not yet fitted) a set of Hardrace ones, but it sounds like it could still be a problem. It makes you wonder if the front is moving about that much then what is it doing to the handling..!..! and how much better it could be once cured.

Probably not much help for you in the short term but I will be putting my car to "Cornering Force" in Harrogate over the winter to have some modifications done to my rear subframe and the issues with the rubbing will be getting discussed and hopefully they will be able to come up with a solution.

I doesn't matter what track car you have there will eventually always be some sort of issues, so if you really like the FRS on track why not keep it and develop it and hopefully we will get to the bottom of the problem

Jim

·
SUPPLYING PARTS FOR RS AND ST FORDS SINCE 2013.
ANDY & KIRSTY CLUB SPONSORS
2,780 Posts
:thumbsup: Stick with it! To be honest we dont see many cars that are as quick as our ST round track even Exiges etc! You might well be very dissapointed if you sell the RS and find the new car isnt as quick!

·
Registered
647 Posts
If I was you I'd keep the rs if you still enjoy it and buy a cheap track day car that doesn't matter to much like mentioned above there are cheap quick cars about if you look on piston heads. I've done a couple track days on my bike and there is always the worry of hitting it, so a cheap car wouldn't be such a worry.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm taking my RS on track at brands 20th oct , it's standard running gear except lowered spring set , I'm hoping I don't get too much in the way of scrubbing issues .
The more I read about the RS , the more it seems they need the same kind of mods to suspension , chassis etc as my scoobs needed to make them more track focussed .

I've had classic subarus for 16 ish years and done many track days , including the last 7 years at the ring ,
I'm really looking forward to a complete change to my track experience , FWD going to be like learning again :smile:

If anyone fancies brands hatch , it's open pit lane 20th October , 105db static . £169 , still spaces .

·
2,780 Posts
Do you have the same problem with your ST?, and what is the cure?

Jim
:nope: No weve never had an issue with anything rubbing but then we dont run the front end that low.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Lol ohlins are mental money and you need them rebuilt fairly regularly too ohlins would be 3k plus all day
Doing a project with Ohlins and evo right now, and although the Road&Track dampers are expensive, they're simply amazing.

Just shot a video up in Wales which really shows off how good Ohlins kit is. Seriously thinking about putting a set on my Cayman R when it becomes available next year.

As for the original question, no matter how much money you throw at a Focus RS it will never be comparable with an Exige on track.

When it comes to track performance and handling, a lightweight, mid-engined, RWD sports car is always going to be better than a heavy, front engine, FWD hatchback.

It really comes to what you're looking for. For me, the RS is my practical car, so I'm never going to want it too extreme. But if the RS is your fun car and it spends a lot of time on track then switching to a more focused car might not be a bad idea.

·
2,780 Posts
:thumbsup: We do Ohlins suspension by the way!

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Id change it for something more track based personally, there's better suited cars for it that will bring plenty of fun and enjoyment without spending huge amounts to make it work.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts