Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite naff all from Ford or my salesman regarding receipt of my order and trousering of my deposit placed on the 5th, I still have a faint hope of seeing it on the driveway before Easter :rofl: . With that in mind I want to get the colour right and (don't smirk at the back) I really like, and have ordered, stealth grey as seen on the ST near my workplace. I'm wondering though how easy to keep clean, stone and scratch resistant a Ford 'base' colour is? Anyone owned stealth grey or know someone who does and has comments - good or bad - to share?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Stealth Grey looks great, quite subtle and understated, as the car is generally really. And I like it even more having seen it on an ST when i saw the black RS.

The only reason i didnt order SG is that ive been driving a grey Ford for 2 years (albeit metallic) so wanted something different (that'll be the nitrous then. )

the white looks great, but its such a popular colour on cars generally its on like 40% of every newish car i seen. Black i felt hid too much detail for me when there isnt a lot to start with. All personal preferences of course. But im surprised more people have not opted for the grey (though as someone commented its a bit of a trendy colour right now. Only time will tell which will resell better...if any)

Grey looks fine even when dirty which is a plus. I found black i was forever washing it and feeding my OCD.

Ive had base colour cars in the past and they are if anything, more knock resistant than metallics. Though i tended to notice scratches more and slight fill ins with a touchup pen show easier on a solid colour.

I dont know what primer they will use with the grey....grey id hope rather than white, so it wouldnt show through any little knocks.

Get some sill protection or maybe part wrapped. Its a long term investment on top of being a great toy (allegedly).

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Stealth Grey looks great, quite subtle and understated, as the car is generally really. And I like it even more having seen it on an ST when i saw the black RS.
The only reason i didnt order SG is that ive been driving a grey Ford for 2 years (albeit metallic) so wanted something different (that'll be the nitrous then. )

the white looks great, but its such a popular colour on cars generally its on like 40% of every newish car i seen. Black i felt hid too much detail for me when there isnt a lot to start with. All personal preferences of course. But im surprised more people have not opted for the grey (though as someone commented its a bit of a trendy colour right now. Only time will tell which will resell better...if any)

Grey looks fine even when dirty which is a plus. I found black i was forever washing it and feeding my OCD.
Ive had base colour cars in the past and they are if anything, more knock resistant than metallics. Though i tended to notice scratches more and slight fill ins with a touchup pen show easier on a solid colour.
I dont know what primer they will use with the grey....grey id hope rather than white, so it wouldnt show through any little knocks.
Get some sill protection or maybe part wrapped. Its a long term investment on top of being a great toy (allegedly).
Ford only use white primer mate 🙈 Have this convo at work all the time as we dnt understand it either!!? Surely a black car shud have a black undercoat, grey - grey, white - White, etc lol we dnt get it at all lol

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Ford only use white primer mate Have this convo at work all the time as we dnt understand it either!!? Surely a black car shud have a black undercoat, grey - grey, white - White, etc lol we dnt get it at all lol
Cheers Jason. Thats bonkers...just means when some **** keys your car all you see is a white chalk line of primer!

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
I've had 2 metalic blue cars and they do look bad when get any sort of scratches, the white primer shows through. I've noticed a lot of guys saying that the solid colours seems to be a little better for not showing the stone chips of scratches.

I've picked nitrous also as I simply feel the mk3 is so low key I need something to help me be different from the st's, a little worried my dearer said they have taken 22 orders and 14 of them are the nitrous blue.

if stealth had have been an RS only colour I think I might have been tempted.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Cheers Jason. Thats bonkers...just means when some **** keys your car all you see is a white chalk line of primer!
Depends actually! When clear coat is scratched it can leave a white mark even if it's not down to the primer. This is due to the surface of it reflecting light in a different way. From experience detailing cars most of the time you can remove these marks with a good few passes of compounding (depending on how deep the scratch is of course) and you can get the paint looking brand new again.

If you want a little more protection from idiots keying cars, I advise a ceramic coating. If you are lucky the person will see the white scratch and call the job done. Hopefully they've only dented the coating and a small amount of paint :)

·
Premium Member
MK2 MR420 Clubsport
730 Posts
I've had 2 metalic blue cars and they do look bad when get any sort of scratches, the white primer shows through. I've noticed a lot of guys saying that the solid colours seems to be a little better for not showing the stone chips of scratches.

I've picked nitrous also as I simply feel the mk3 is so low key I need something to help me be different from the st's, a little worried my dearer said they have taken 22 orders and 14 of them are the nitrous blue.

Have you put an order in then @madrab? Which dealer are you going with?

Simon

·
Registered
3,043 Posts

A lot of the scratches are in the clear coat lacquer and can be removed with some tlc and never even get through to the paint or primer

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Despite naff all from Ford or my salesman regarding receipt of my order and trousering of my deposit placed on the 5th, I still have a faint hope of seeing it on the driveway before Easter :rofl: . With that in mind I want to get the colour right and (don't smirk at the back) I really like, and have ordered, stealth grey as seen on the ST near my workplace. I'm wondering though how easy to keep clean, stone and scratch resistant a Ford 'base' colour is? Anyone owned stealth grey or know someone who does and has comments - good or bad - to share?
When it first arrived I wasn't keen. It was alot darker then I was expecting ( Renault Lunar would have been my preference) Pretty much everone else who saw the car loved it.

Anyway over time I have come to like it. I didn't order my RS in Stealth purely as I wanted something different. I saw NB at Frankfurt and thought it was worth the £700 odd quid. Shame it's so popular!

And the best bit, Stealth hardly needs cleaning! Its been 4 months and 3000 miles since the last wash and it still looks pretty decent :lol: No sign of any stome chips yet, but then again my last ST was Spirit Blue and I didn't really have any on that either.

A81B165B-6276-4647-998C-B1255E820593_zps

60B8DAF9-9FDC-4049-8C0E-85333CF21CC6_zps

·
previously GrahamS
1,138 Posts
When it first arrived I wasn't keen. It was alot darker then I was expecting ( Renault Lunar would have been my preference) Pretty much everone else who saw the car loved it.
Anyway over time I have come to like it. I didn't order my RS in Stealth purely as I wanted something different. I saw NB at Frankfurt and thought it was worth the £700 odd quid. Shame it's so popular!
And the best bit, Stealth hardly needs cleaning! Its been 4 months and 3000 miles since the last wash and it still looks pretty decent :lol: No sign of any stome chips yet, but then again my last ST was Spirit Blue and I didn't really have any on that either.
I haven't previously been a fan of Stealth since I've seen it on various images but, in the words of Craig Revell Horwood, that's gooorgeous

·
Registered
80 Posts

A81B165B-6276-4647-998C-B1255E820593_zps

60B8DAF9-9FDC-4049-8C0E-85333CF21CC6_zps
My spirit blue is covered, no matter how far i drive behind or on side to avoid on coming :'( its a magnet. if i do get the RS i will seriously think about protection film

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
Grey is the new Black, so I say go for it. There's a facelifted mk3 ST around my parts in Stealth Grey, looks great!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Agree with Jamie that Stealth hides the dirt very well however it will loose it's surprisingly glossy sheen if you don't wash it for a while.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I use diamondbrite conserve raw on a mircofibre cloth it takes a couple times of going over the scratches, but it does get rid of them brilliant stuff it also doesn't damage your paint its only a mild compound.
I have over 30 different polishes with various levels of cut and gloss to cover the majority of defects and paint types :yep:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts