Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So It appears we have reached the stage where a console is an inevitability in our house! My lads 4 going on 14, and just started school, but seems everyone I know has consoles and the kids play them, and he keeps saying friends at school play games. He is incredible at games on the ipad and Hudl we have anyway.

Now I have been out the loop on these for a few years, but was always a playstation person. Decided going to get a PS4.

My question(s) -

Am i doing the right thing at 4 or is it just a sign of the times?

Whats the best package to get and where from?

We like (He likes) the idea of the infinity board to collect the characters and stuff.

Am i best getting one now and saving fo Xmas, or waiting until nearer xmas in the hope of deals, or does it not work like that?

Need 2 pads obviously, infinity board, and a couple games to start.

Also, Playstation TV - what is this and whats the point/any good?

Thanks from a person working in an IT company who is useless at this stuff :facepalm: :laughing: :blush: :rofl:

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
To future proof yourself, it might be worth asking around the parents of his friends at school to see what consoles they have for their children. That way, in a few years time if he wants to play online with his friends, he's got the same console as everyone else.

When I was at school, there was the whole PS3 vs Xbox 360 console "war", but in reality, I only chose X360 because I knew more people with a 360 so I could play with a bigger portion of my friends online

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I fancy playing with him anyway to be honest.

Think it maybe a present to The family from Father Christmas, so he knows its not just his and cant go on whenever he wants. He is very advanced for his age and genuinely well behaved.

So in regards when to get one and deals any suggestions?

·
The Custard Kid
MK3 Focus RS
9,067 Posts
My son is 4 and is 5 in october. Personally I dont think a child at that age should have a console. Ipad games from your own tablet is more than enough. Maybe ask if they would consider something else?

·
Premium Member
3,205 Posts
Things have changed....our kids will play all day on gadgets if allowed. Equally will play all day in the woods. We have to balance it!

Late November before the Xmas rush? Or end Jan would be my guess. But for sure, get a bundle with the games you want and an extra controller. Stupidly dear to add on afterward.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I bought a Wii U in the end for my Grandson's 5 birthday in October. 1 hour per day is all he will be allowed. He enjoys playing with other toys and outside. Everything in moderation.

·
Registered
647 Posts
There was a thread not long back about the different consoles (check thread link above) and at that age you would be better with a wii u. I have ps4 and Xbox one and to be honest not many kids games available that would suit. Seems this next gen is aimed at teens and adults. If it was me I'd say wii u and with Xmas coming I'm sure you could get a good package price. Good luck

·
Registered
155 Posts
As a parent I would say there is nothing wrong with a lad of 4 having a games console...it is just a sign of the times, you can implement usage limits if you feel that is whats needed.

Regards his ability to get the best out of it probably best having a wii/tablet games as already mentioned here....It can get frustrating tying to teach em how to get to grips with the control pad/functions etc vs tablet games (just my experience)

Still, start em young and he'll soon be whipping you at it....so to speak

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know every parent says it, but, He honestly loves being outside more than anything, football, bike, park. same story at school each day - got upset he had to come in. He mastered a scooter 2 wheel at just over 2 n a half, no stabilisers at 4th birthday. So im not worried he will stay in doors all the time as we will say its mine and he can have a go. he gets half hour to an hour after school on ipad playing lego games and subway surfer etc.

It is a sign of the times i suppose and don't want him left out.

I doubt he will take long to pick up how to play them, his teachers have already sad he is way ahead of where he should be - my mum was a teacher and we all have worked on reading and writing etc from very early.

Avoided the ipad until early this year but the pressure gets too much lol

Think we will wait until xmas, he 5 in April, so not too young. And wont be playing any adult games like COD etc

Thanks for the input guys

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
My boy is 5 and he plays LEGO Star Wars as a "very special treat" on my PS3 and I've just bought LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean for a tenner. We also have Disney Infinity, but we don't play that much, rather we collect the figures (by "we" I mean "me") and "we" are delighted Star Wars figures have now come out. LEGO has also released an Infinity style game, buy I've heard it's very expensive (well it is LEGO) but is likely to be a "must have"....

To be honest, my boy nearly always defaults back to the iPad - it's so much more "pick up and play"... We have yet to use our Wii with him - last time that console was even switched on was some 6 years ago... but I reckon it's probably still the best bet for a kid if you are thinking of getting a console.

I've not played any of my games on my PS3 since my son was born...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts