Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is now only boasting half way, no re-maps nothing modified on it, code reader as additional to yesterday is showing the cat has gone.

What's wrong? Cheers in advance

·
Registered
101 Posts
The car won't run properly until you get the cat sorted. The sensors in the exhaust etc will be sending readings which are way off to the computer and the car is probably protecting itself with only allowing half boost because it's sensed a problem

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
How many miles has it covered, the OEM cat's are known to give out?

If you want to keep it standard I may know where you can pick up a used cat at a decent price, PM me if you're interested :nice:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason I am asking again seems it was boosting fine yesterday and today it's only going half way! :( not happy pay all this money and its problem after problem

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Haven't you answered your own question there Josh ?
Josh, I thought you'd posted on this yesterday and the issue came back to the cat?

These cars are prone to destroying the std cat. It sounded from the other thread that you had a couple of members offering you cheap replacement ones. Until you get that done the car won't run properly mate as it's likely got either a nice big blockage where the cat used to be or a big hole I.e you've effectively gone decat and the lambda sensors will be picking up that there's an issue with the cat efficiency.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to keep posting on here, honestly don't know what I would do without you all, just seems weird it has stopped boosting properly hoping its the cat picking one up Saturday! Cheers guys much appreciated, I mean that

·
Registered
514 Posts
Just to add even once the "new" cat is fitted you will need the codes to be removed from the ECU.
Just a heads up.
If it's still not boosting as it should get the boost solenoid checked I know these are known to go as well.

·
Registered
816 Posts
i had this when my cat broke up the remainder of cat can turn round blocking the exhaust and stopping gases traveling down the exhaust so if it cant get out it wont physically get any more in hence half boost or no boost at all as i experienced, i ran my car with nothing in the cat for a month or so with EML light on and it ran fine,

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Picking a new car up the weakened so hopefully this will be the solution to my problem, are they east to fit??

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Josh take it to a garage get it up on a ramp. They'll fit it quickly. I imagine it'll be okay after that. When I had problems with my car's ECU I swore at it a lot but it's a machine and they go wrong. Most of the time it's people fiddling with them (not implying anything in your case) that ****s everything up. Put it this way, I learned a hell of a lot about my car when my ECU failed, I dismantled half the engine bay trying to find the problem because it wasn't obvious but I learned a lot. Don't stress it, you'll get far more good times than bad with these cars. Buy an Audi / VW and see the problems you get ... again my own personal experience.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry guys, I'm using the mobile version and we all know what auto correct is like on the iPhone ;) I am gonna have to get it up on a ramp this weekend!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Your an epic poster josh 186 post since June your problem child haha, hope it gets fixed amigo, it can be frustrating but buying a used car got to expect problems Within a few months on a off chance as you recently purchased if bought from a garage they will have a 3 month warranty usually chance your luck and take it back so save you money if you bought private obviously ignore me

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Josh take it to a garage get it up on a ramp. They'll fit it quickly. I imagine it'll be okay after that. When I had problems with my car's ECU I swore at it a lot but it's a machine and they go wrong. Most of the time it's people fiddling with them (not implying anything in your case) that :censored: everything up. Put it this way, I learned a hell of a lot about my car when my ECU failed, I dismantled half the engine bay trying to find the problem because it wasn't obvious but I learned a lot. Don't stress it, you'll get far more good times than bad with these cars. Buy an Audi / VW and see the problems you get ... again my own personal experience.
Much, much, much less hassle than an Audi or VW, again from personal experience. 😉

·
Registered
958 Posts
It occurred to me at the weekend just how incredibly reliable my Focus RS has been.

I'd never really given it much thought, but after having the Pro Alloy radiator fitted on Saturday I realised that in the six years I've owned it, the only two things to fail have been an ABS sensor lead and the radiator.

That has to make this the most reliable car I've ever owned, given its age and daily usage.

With that in mind, it really does sound like you've just been a bit unlucky, although much like the radiator and ABS lead, the standard cat dying is a known problem. It probably hasn't affected as many of us as, say, the ABS leads, because so many of us have removed the standard cat.

Just don't let these issues make you think that the car isn't worth holding on to. As I said, mine is six years old this month and I've owned it from new, and I'm still struggling to think of another daily driver that I'd rather have.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.