Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Custard Kid
MK3 Focus RS
9,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to paint my intercooler black. Its black already and i have scotch pad the core ready for painting. Anyone recommend a good paint for this application?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Either powder coat or if sprayed go for Base coat black with a coat of Matt high or medium solid lacquer.
They are the better two hard wearing options

·
Registered
971 Posts
I've heard and read mixed opinions on this!
From what I can remember powdercoat is no good as it's too thick for the intercooler to work efficiently and also chips easily.
Anodised would probably be a better solution but probably quite expensive to do.
Radiator paint is probably the best all round solution.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I don't think its a good idea to go whacking thick coats of paint on an intercooler. You'll stop it doing it's main job of dispersing heat. I did mine with satin black aerosol. Just a light coating

·
The Custard Kid
MK3 Focus RS
9,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As most know I don't do things by half :lol: but i wanted to lose the "Spec-R" logo as its this logo that starts to flake as such. Pete has agreed again lol to repaint it but i wanted to try and do it myself. Its on the core that needs done and Spec-R's quality remains great it's just this logo each time so it has to go :facepalm:

·
Registered
263 Posts
A light coat of 2k matt lacquer will roughly be the same micron thickness of two / three coats of aerosol but it will stand up to chemicals better.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I've just done mine, I used "Hammerite smooth black" quick primer and then painted. Not 100% happy with the finish but that's done to the user not the equipment lol

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
As most know I don't do things by half :lol: but i wanted to lose the "Spec-R" logo as its this logo that starts to flake as such. Pete has agreed again lol to repaint it but i wanted to try and do it myself. Its on the core that needs done and Spec-R's quality remains great it's just this logo each time so it has to go :facepalm:
Let Pete do it, there's no paint you could use that will match 2k black epoxy primer, which I'm sure is what's on it from new.
Its not something you could use in your shed without an air fed mask and spray gun...

I can get 2k rattle cans with hardener that you activate from my paint shop, so if you really want to give it a go, then find a paint shop that does them, but be careful...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.