Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,255 Posts
I was looking through an old 2009 magazine which reviewed the MK2 RS and was wondering what the first impressions will be of the new car.

As a matter of interest here is what "TOP GEAR" said about the MK2 in June 2009.

They reviewed four hot hatches in their article. Of the RS they said "Here is a car that tries to poke your eyes out with its performance credentials and gathers attention like a naked supermodel. For £24,995 you get a 2.5-litre Volvo-derived five-cylinder, swollen arches, popping veins, gob****e exhausts and a big wing.

The visual promise is that it will be fast and loud, luckily it has the mouth to match the trousers. Hammer the RS and it just gets better and better, piling thrill upon grin, ripping itself around every single hairpin with a front end nailed to the apex it makes the hairs stand up on the back of your neck, excellent stuff. The RS is the best-handling front-wheel drive hot hatch in the world"

Interesting enough the winner of this test was a Golf GTI so perhaps the more neutral looks of the MK3 were the way to go after all. If the MK3 gets write ups as good as these then it will be a sure fire winner.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Been in Wales for 4 days and the RS is great fun on winding welsh roads. I expect the MK 3 will be more agile and therefore keen to see a Welsh road test.

I think Top Gear gave the MK 2 an award for the muscle car hatch back.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I really hope the mk3 is as good as it looks on paper, but some of the big companies have not hit the mark with their hot hatches in recent years. All of us who have deposits down are taking a bit of a gamble, I just hope it pays off, we will find out when the press get hold of one.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I really hope the mk3 is as good as it looks on paper, but some of the big companies have not hit the mark with their hot hatches in recent years. All of us who have deposits down are taking a bit of a gamble, I just hope it pays off, we will find out when the press get hold of one.
No gamble really as if you don't like it sell it for a profit, there bound to attract a premium in the first year.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The Golf R is the darling of the motoring press so most likely it will be held against that. I'd say it will come up short (in their opinion) of that car. I'm quite bemused by the recent AutoCar comparison of the Golf R to the RS3, it just seemed price was a constant factor rather than always the cars on merit.

Time will tell and I'm in all the way for the RS regardless, pinch of salt required for magazine reviews.....unless the RS wins....its gospel them of course!! ;)

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
The magazines gave mixed reviews on the MK1 FRS and I thought it was a great car. As always, reviews are open to interpretation and when, where and how they are tested. Certain reviewers prefer a particular manufacturer and other have affiliations with certain manufacturers, so are often biased in the review anyway. If I was doing reviews on cars people would believe that the sun shines out of a Fords tailpipe and all other marques are sewage :)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
The feedback will initially be: "can't test it as we can't find it in the carpark as there are too many similar looking Foci around"

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Never trust a magazine/video review to the full extent.
With some reviewers, they would be bang on (like with Subaru P1)
and with others, not so much. ( the biggest surprise for me was with Hayabusa, almost missed out on one because of some unjustifiably bad reviews)
So Always take it with a pinch of salt.
Megane Rs used to be a darling of hot hatches (until golf r arrived )
Test driven it twice and never fully understood why. Same with R now, for my taste, it's too clinical and gets too boring after a while.
Even though, Those two cars are uber quick, they just do not catch your heart like Mk2 Rs Did.
My personal opinion of course.
So always have a go yourself, before parting with you hard earned cash, because one day you can be for a nasty shock :nice:

As for Mk3, even though some people want to see it fail, something tells me, some of them would be for the biggest surprise of them all :cool:

·
Registered
15,690 Posts
Review won't stop me,if I want one
But in answer to The op

The headline will read man this looks gash

·
Premium Member
13,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had no idea what the car was when I ordered my MK2. Perhaps its better that you don't know.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
I don't think you will have trouble finding it in a car park if its in nitrous blue!..I,m sure it will be a joy to drive and put a smile on your face just like a mk2 does. I bought my mk2 without bothering with a test drive as I just knew it would live up to expectations whatever anyone else said about it and I am sure the mk3 will not disappoint either.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts