Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im looking at upgrading my current dashcam which is a cheap G1WH. It has easily given me its value back ten fold (but that's another story) so i think its time to spend a bit more on a higher end dashcam as I've found that it has a tendency to stop recording randomly during long journeys.

Im not too fussed about it having a screen, or recording GPS data. The main thing im looking for is quality and reliability.

Does anyone have any experience with the following:

Vico Marcus 4 or 5

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2014/9/15/vico-marcus-4-cinemascope-dash-cam-review.html

Blackvue 650

http://www.dashcamtest.de/en/review-blackvue-dr650gw-2ch/

K1S

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2015/3/1/k1s-the-first-front-rear-hidden-1080p-dash-camera.html

Or if there are any others that you have heard of that are good let me know :nice:

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Yes it can be seen. I don't mind that. I want people to know they're being filmed. And I leave it there all the time. These days no one can be bothered to break into a car to steal a dash cam. And most people think it's recording all the time too so wouldn't dare to attempt it and botch the job up like being disturbed half way through as they'll be on film. Try and get one that records if the car is hit whilst parked. I think the later models do that from this company.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
I've got a gopro too and the quality is pretty good. I wouldn't get a basic one with a built in battery though because you'll kill it off quickly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts guys.

Ive decided to try out 2 of them. Ill keep whichever one works best for me and pass other to a family member, as no one else has one.

I went for the Transcend 220 for collection in Halfords and the Blackvue 650 from some Korean eBay seller.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ill report back here when they start arriving.

Only 7 days for the Mobius to get here from Hong Kong apparently! I have it in my head to use is as a rear dashcam rather than the main front facing one so we will see how that works out.

Ill probably end up sticking it to the bumper to hear the exhaust as well :thumbsup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ive only just got my Blackvue camera so haven't had a chance to test it properly yet.

I have however been using the Transcend 200 and Mobius as a front facing and rearward facing camera for a little while. Ill post up a more detailed response later today with images too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
So here are my thoughts on the dashcams I have used so far. They all produce decent images but none of them can easily pick out Reg numbers unless the other car is quite close. Im hoping the Blackvue will product better Reg legibility when it arrives.

G1WH

The good

• Cheap as chips
  • Decent video quality for the price

The bad

• The window mount is pants. The suction cup would always fall off after a few days (setting the alarm off)
  • I found mine to be unreliable at recording for a long time. It would sometimes stop recording mid way through a trip for no reason which was a big negative.

Transcend Drivepro 200

The good

• Feels much more like a quality product than the G1WH / not much more expensive and comes with a 16GB sd card
  • Good window sticky mount
  • Good quality (and long) charger cable that can easily reach the centre armrest lighter socket
  • Has been flawless and continuously recorded everything perfectly

The bad

• The sound recording quality is dire
  • Video quality is similar to the G1WH
  • I cant for the life of me get that Android App to work and connect to it.

Mobius

The good

• Discrete
  • Build quality feels decent for the price
  • Software is straight forward enough and useful

The bad

• No proper widescreen mount, so i had to buy that separate.
  • No long USB cable / cig lighter cable for charging it. Again i had to buy this separate.
  • No screen so I don't think i would use this as my only dashcam unless i wanted complete stealth.

How the Transcend looks mounted

Inside_zpsyjkjj7zt.jpg

Mobius tucked in the corner pointing out the rear. Its very hard to spot this camera from the outside with the window tint.

Mobius_zps2kgsh0q4.jpg

One of the things i captured with the transcend being on it for less than 2 hours ffs :mad:

NicePeople_zps91gd3eza.png

So overall im happy with the Transcend and would recommend that to all unless you wanted to record sound. I may even keep it for good if the Black Vue doesn't offer a noticeable step up in video quality.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did they pour that muck on your car?
A small bit in the vent. The video shows more of her friends come along a moment later and one of them seems to spot the camera so they leave straight away. No idea what she was thinking. There are a heap of CCTV cameras there along with 24/7 security guards.

I saw those Lukas cameras during my search too. They definitely fit more in line with the high end dash cams I was looking at originally. What swayed me off of them was just finding reliable reviews about them compared to the Blackvue range.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ive heard good things about the Nextbase cameras. They have a few on display in Halfords and like the Transcend they seem to be well built.

Another Nextbase camera was reviewed here by Techmoan and it seems to be well received:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts