Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,250 Posts
With the MK 1 there were hardly any high tech goodies, things moved on a fair bit with the MK2. With the imminent announcement of spec's for the MK3 do other members think that more and more driving aids are appropriate or perhaps the time has come to say enough is enough like formula one and stop adding tech. So have stop start driving, self parking, driver alert, lane keeping, active city stop and all the other aids have any place on a performance RS or do they just add weight and ruin the driving experience?

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
im all for it anything that can stop an accident has to be good for both parties plus some insurance companies give extra discount for active city stop etc and place the car in a lower group

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
There are two camps of thoughts,
One which would want a stripped out race car , with no gadgets and piperlex windows , and other camp , who would like performance , but without having to sacrifice on safety, gadgets and everyday usability .

If Start stop lowers Co2 , which in turn lowers tax, I'm up for it (Even though I'm not a fan of it)
If active city stop lowers insurance category,like does on Gti, I'm also up for it.
Other tech , which improves safety and lowers chance of an accident , like Fords Spotlight, infrared camera etc, I'm also up for it (if it would make it).

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
If these pack up after 3 years, how much will they cost to repair ?
I don't like the sound of the stop/start thing at all.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If I wanted all the gadgets I'd buy a Titanium Focus.

The RS is all about driving.

I believe too many driving gadgets/aids are having an effect on people abilities.

Brakes assist/stop is a good idea, but if you have used it then surely you're driving without due care and attention! I hate reversing cameras as using them people are looking inside the cabin not where they are going and you loose periferal vision.

If you need the car to park itself you shouldn't be driving a high performance car.

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
The only driving 'aids' you need are ABS and traction control imo. Anything over and above that is sales gimmick :f: , don't need it! Extra gadgets may well prevent an accident, lower insurance premiums etc, but as Chris mentioned above, if you're ever in a position to need it and they activate, chances are it's because you weren't driving properly! The same could be said for ABS and traction control to be fair... :whistle: Adding tech like that means there is a good chance you start to increasingly come to rely on it. As soon as you remove that tech (when you jump from your own car into a hire car for example), and you are in a situation where you are driving a 'conventional' car, I bet £££ that driving standards will be lower and will have suffered because of the over-reliance on technology to do a job previously done by the driver (e.g. parking a car).

Spend the money on driving courses (FAR, FAR cheaper than paying for extras when placing an order for your car) and it's money well spent, end of story.

Rant over. :whistle: :smile:

·
Premium Member
23,424 Posts
I mentioned this a few months back.

For me, as others have said, if anything packs up after warranty, they are going to expensive to fix, personally, i find the mk3 extremely complex, far too much for myself, so i'm not buying amongst other reasons.

Some may say the mk2 is fairly complex too but for me, the fact it is based on the ST, engine, fwd etc, etc, they had had a few years experience of getting it right (or as near as dammit) & pretty much every problem has come up & dealt with.

With the mk3, it's a different / new engine, drivetrain to the ST, along with all techy stuff puts me off, actually, i'll be honest, it scares me thinking of what may / could go wrong! :cry:

·
Premium Member
13,250 Posts
It does worry me slightly that people will get lazy, after all some drivers can't drive anything except an auto and others may get too complacent if they know high tech systems will over-ride bad driving. Also how will Ford act to warranty claims outside the one year period, I seem to remember that it was a bit hit and miss years two and three and near impossible over that period to get Ford to admit to a problem on the MK1 and 2. Look at security on the MK2.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
More tech more things to go wrong and more weight. There should be a balance between performance, convenience and safety. I don't think the Mk2 is that far out in terms of this balance.

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
i would never rely on it,but its always there for back up,how many of us have nearly run into the back of someone when they have stopped suddenly and unexpectedly? and dont say you havent :bleh:

the reverse cameras are great, i still look in my mirrors and over my shoulder but the camera can see things that you cant so its a great idea as far as im concerned

·
Registered
180 Posts
If the car does feature Start-Stop then it won't be a removable option unfortunately (although you should be able to deactivate it) as it will dictate the CO2 emissions

Saying that how will the start-stop fair with the turbocharger? Does anyone know if it'll eventually starve the turbo of oil if stopped long enough? If so that's no good if you come up to a red light after giving it some beans

Also agree with the driving aids resulting in complacent driving... I'm pretty sure if people think the car will save them from a bad situation they will feel more comfortable driving more dangerously.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
On the A45 it can be switched off when in comfort mode that's never ever used on my car, once sport mode is selected it off.

·
Premium Member
Dave - PB Mk2 2009 - 1 Owner ME.
11,443 Posts
Come on guys, it's just 21st century progress.

If you don't want these aids then neither do you want:

• Disk brakes, let's go back to drum brakes
  • Powered steering
  • Rack & pinion steering, the old worm & wheel boxes were the best I here you all say
  • Air con, let's just have a fan
  • Wipers - lets go back to vacuum operated or better still passenger operated manual ones.
  • Etc etc

People seem to have very short memories of how far cars and particularly performance stars have come in 20, 30, 40 + years.

These technologies will have to get better and become more reliable as they are all part of the sensors and technologies that will ultimately bring us the autonomous vehicle.

I love cars, not just fast cars, but driving my family into London for hospital appointment is a pain in the rear.
I can't use public transport due to Stuart's wheelchair & the cost and the inconvenience.

So bring on the autonomous vehicle for my hospital visits, let me sleep while it drives me.
But let me switch the stuff off when I want to get the adrenalin pumping.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I think these driver aids are essential, let's face it a 17 year old can go and buy any car he wishes if he has the money, Ferrari, Lamborghini. Porsche etc. all of which have have all sorts of gadgets to help control the power and handling. The rs is obviously a very powerful machine and available to many "inexperienced" drivers.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
It's a great move by ford, at the end of the day they have to be responsible with their products. As should the worst happen they can easily end up in the dock (particularly in the U.S.).

1 - 20 of 40 Posts