Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to check if anyone had experienced the same issues.

My car has been vibrating on acceleration. The vibration only happens after 3500K.

I initially thought that it was my plugs or coils. Ive replaced them but vibration is still there. My next theory is that it might be something engine or drivetrain related, it seems to rev fine, but vibrate. I can cruise at 60 pmh and no vibration, if I rev it from 3500 to 7000 (more noticeable between 4000 and 5000 rmps) it vibrates. It doesn't do it in 1st gear or in 2nd. Only happens in 3rd 4th 5th and 6th gear.

Any ideas guys? Could it be my clutch? Engine mounting?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Engine mounts would be the first to check I think. Fairly easy to check for movement.

The standard clutch is dual mass to help prevent vibration. Whilst you cannot rule it out, normally it makes a hell of a noise when it has gone.

PS. Engine mount issues are common. Mine was torn to shreds after 2 years (tuned though), so I got a decent third party one. I had terrible driveline shunt when mine went.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
I would also point to the drive shaft side of things. But also nothing wrong with checking the mounts
If it was dual mass it will make a noise on idle. Pedal will pulsate. And worst case can make the car vibrate through the rev range

·
The Custard Kid
MK3 Focus RS
9,068 Posts
If it is a driveshaft can the shaft be fixed also what makes the driveshaft at fault?

·
Premium Member
9,996 Posts
Wheel nuts all tight too? :huh: I had some vibration once and it turned out two of them were finger tight! :facepalm:

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
If it is a driveshaft can the shaft be fixed also what makes the driveshaft at fault?
The bearings that support the shaft wear and effectively allow the shaft to run off centre under load. This causes an imbalance resulting in vibration. It's possible to change the joints at each end, whether there available separately I don't know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome response guys..

Ok will check the engine mounts, drive shafts and the wheel nuts..

Is it at a certain speed not necessarily gear? Could be buckled wheels or the tyres?
Only happens from 3rd gear onwards.. everytime the turbo boost kicks in, the engine vibrates..

Hopefully will all pf the responses, will find out what the problem is.

·
Premium Member
1,285 Posts
I've had the same thing just start !!! All wheels re balanced and checked but around 50 / 55 it's horrendous have many people had drive shafts go ?

·
Registered
254 Posts
This is what i had with mine, thought it was the addition of new cup tyres and spacers at first, and because i don't use the car much was really obvious each time i got it out. Anyway Collins sorted it for me and was a new wheel bearing, drives fantastic now.

·
Premium Member
1,285 Posts
Turned out to be a drivers side inner cv joint !!
The clip was not secure on the boot and the grease had been weeping out, fitted a new drive shaft and it's now cured it :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts