Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks my aerial base has now packed up so I can't use the satnav anymore. When I look for the replacement part it's no longer available. Why is this? What's the alternative part now if any.
Thanks in advance Dean

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
To the original poster, I wouldn't advise following this. This is the "offical" Ford fix for the problem with the antenna base. But it involves removing the original GPS ariel base for a standard base, then routing cables up[ to behind your rear view mirror and then attaching a new GPS antenna to the inside of the windscreen. A real botch job (typical Ford) and ugly.

I had exactly the same problem with my Lux 2 satnav unit, all of a sudden it lost sattelite fix. All I did was remove the original base and replace it with a new one. Cost about £60 on ebay, although it was from a Ford store somewhere in the UK.

I'm currently at work, but in a bit I will get the part number for you, as far as I know it's still readily available. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,654 Posts
To the original poster, I wouldn't advise following this. This is the "offical" Ford fix for the problem with the antenna base. But it involves removing the original GPS ariel base for a standard base, then routing cables up[ to behind your rear view mirror and then attaching a new GPS antenna to the inside of the windscreen. A real botch job (typical Ford) and ugly.

I had exactly the same problem with my Lux 2 satnav unit, all of a sudden it lost sattelite fix. All I did was remove the original base and replace it with a new one. Cost about £60 on ebay, although it was from a Ford store somewhere in the UK.

I'm currently at work, but in a bit I will get the part number for you, as far as I know it's still readily available. :thumbsup:
That's me told then... :whistle: :blush: :laughing:

I don't have satnav in my RS, so I wouldn't know what's the correct way ahead for this problem! It's an option nonetheless... :nice:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
That's me told then... :whistle: :blush: :laughing:

I don't have satnav in my RS, so I wouldn't know what's the correct way ahead for this problem! It's an option nonetheless... :nice:
Sorry I wasn't being funny Pete, but that "fix" from Ford is horrible and a pain in the **** as you have to have the unit out and route wires to the mirror.

The part number for the GPS abtenna base is 1508610, but having looked just now the OP is correct, that part is no longer available from Ford, only the ugly "GPS fix kit". There are none on ebay either. Maybe a hunt around will turn one up or a breaking car. Or it's the Ford fix option.

·
Premium Member
3,654 Posts
Sorry I wasn't being funny Pete, but that "fix" from Ford is horrible and a pain in the :censored: as you have to have the unit out and route wires to the mirror.

The part number for the GPS abtenna base is 1508610, but having looked just now the OP is correct, that part is no longer available from Ford, only the ugly "GPS fix kit". There are none on ebay either. Maybe a hunt around will turn one up or a breaking car. Or it's the Ford fix option.
No worries at all Oli! :thumbsup: That's the good thing about this club, there's always someone who knows the best way forward for a problem :nice:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies,the only option is to get one off a breakers. Why on earth have ford discontinued the part is beyond me!

·
Administrator
49,107 Posts
The Satnav aerial base (1508610) has actually been 'unavailable' for a couple of years now , and now that Ford Dealers and Ebay have sold out of their existing old stock of this item the only Ford option is the new windscreen mounted kit .

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello all again,further to my start of the thread is anyone using an internal GPS antenna? if so which one are you using and where to purchase? its for the lux2 nx head unit.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hello all again,further to my start of the thread is anyone using an internal GPS antenna? if so which one are you using and where to purchase? its for the lux2 nx head unit.
My gps recently packed up completely and showed me driving in the English Channel ... Lol

I bought a Fakra internal GPS antenna from Amazon for £8.37. Removed the head unit, unplugged the original gps connector and just left it there. Plugged in the new antenna and stuck it to the underside of the dash ( where the pod gauges are) with double sided pads.

Put the head unit back in place and within 20 seconds I was back on dry land in the correct location.

·
Premium Member
3,085 Posts
After my many quests to obtain obsolete cosworth parts of which I have had a quite a few success stories, I'm going to have a crack at getting hold of some of these ariel bases, there must be some knocking around somewhere, Germany is a good place to start the hunt and I have contacts at Ford over there :wink:

·
Premium Member
3,085 Posts
Where there's a will there's a way :wink: manged to get hold of a new ariel base 1508610 from a uk ford dealer none the less, goes to show when things go obsolete there's a few of them lying around in a parts bin somewhere :wink: so that's a spare for my car sorted :grin: now to source out some more

·
Premium Member
23,434 Posts
Where there's a will there's a way :wink: manged to get hold of a new ariel base 1508610 from a uk ford dealer none the less, goes to show when things go obsolete there's a few of them lying around in a parts bin somewhere :wink: so that's a spare for my car sorted :grin: now to source out some more
I'll take one off your hands if you can find another Jimmy. :nice:

·
Premium Member
7,890 Posts
I find it amazing that this part has failed on a few cars.

My Mondeo has the factory fitted sat Nav, is over ten years old and done over 185k miles and works like a dream.

·
Premium Member
Dave - PB Mk2 2009 - 1 Owner ME.
11,443 Posts
My gps recently packed up completely and showed me driving in the English Channel ... Lol

I bought a Fakra internal GPS antenna from Amazon for £8.37. Removed the head unit, unplugged the original gps connector and just left it there. Plugged in the new antenna and stuck it to the underside of the dash ( where the pod gauges are) with double sided pads.

Put the head unit back in place and within 20 seconds I was back on dry land in the correct location.
is this the one http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004ILTLB6?keywords=Fakra%20internal%20GPS%20antenna&qid=1457012888&ref_=sr_1_fkmr1_2&sr=8-2-fkmr1

1 - 20 of 61 Posts