Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody had any problems using the editing software?

I am new to editing and have so far managed to import the files I want and clip them to where I need. All good there but when I send the file to be converted it seems to take an awful long time and when it gets to 95% complete it seems to just stick there.

I have also noticed that when I import the files and try viewing them on the 1st section (trim) the video is all jumpy, freezing for a second all the way through.

I am beginning to think it's an issue with the laptop as it seems to be slow with a few other tasks.
I have just uninstalled gopro studio and reloaded it as well as QuickTime to see if that is going to make any difference

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
I began to use the software on my Mac. Lasted a few minutes and I scrapped it. Wouldn't even import files. I use Final Cut Pro x.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can that be used on windows?
Just got the free windows 10 upgrade on it as well which does seem better to use but the whole thing is very slow 😩

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
It's an application for macs I think and a very powerful one at that. And doesn't cost thousands.

I left Microsoft and PCs over 6 years ago and never looked back. Macs for me anyway are far easier to use with less niggles, smoother and more capable software. And it's not slow either ...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have talked about getting one for a long time now, I think we have gone through 3 laptops in that time. Need to seriously look into upgrades I think

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has anybody got any suggestion for a free alternative editing software that is compatible with windows 10?

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
We have talked about getting one for a long time now, I think we have gone through 3 laptops in that time. Need to seriously look into upgrades I think
I know what you mean. I'd had enough of them. Load up one or two applications and they stall however powerful they are. And they sit there and process and process and you wait and wait and then you get the poxy error an unknown error occurred guess what you're ****ed and I'm not even telling you why. Enough blood pressure. Invest in a Mac and you're done. As a normal user and consumer they tick all the boxes.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just looking at them just now
Wow😳
U have no clue which would be best suited to us apart from price lol

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Unless you need a laptop go for a desktop. They offer much more power for the money and the screens are fantastic.

Don't judge the specs vs a PC and think a comparable PC offers more power for the money. It's nonsense. The software and operating systems on these work well together and seamlessly.

Ideally you want to buy the best you can afford.

If you or your partner can get a corporate discount get it. May be £100-£200 off depending on which one you choose. Better still if you've got kids at school or university get a student discount that's even more.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Well depending on where you work the company you work for may have made deals with various retailers to offer its employees discounts on purchases. It's not uncommon. Usually your employer, if they have such a scheme in place, allows you to enter the website of each retailer via a dedicated link that discounts the price. If you don't have such a scheme in place you may know a friend or family member that does but you would need to have them buy it in their name for you and you would pay them back. But the retailer would know them as the customer. It's not big deal if you can trust them should something go wrong with it for them to deal with the retailer for you. Apple products are reliable so shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok I see what you mean.
We used to have a family member work at Apple but not now. Will have to make enquiries about it.

We have 3 iPads 2 iPhones 3 iPods and Apple TV in this house so it would make sense to have an I Mac or MacBook.
With all the apple products we have only ever had one go wrong and that was the latest iPad mini which is a cellular one with 164gb, had a battery issue that wouldn't charge properly. Aberdeen Apple shop had to get it ordered in which never took long and it was a brand new unit.
So I agree with them not going wrong and my experiences if after sales service is spot on 👍

We are reading up on a 27" retina display one, just need to figure out what size memory etc we would need

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.