Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered some of the new fiber optic broadband today.

Been a customer of BT for a while and never had any real issues but our town has recently had the exchange all upgraded to take the fiber optic and since then our connection is freezing up at peek times and painfully slow at other times.

I called them today and was offered 2 different speeds, the slowest is guaranteed 38mb download and 9mb upload, and the fastest is 78mb download and 19mb upload.

I was going to be £3 less a month for the slower one and £2 more for the fastest one (after i canceled free anytime calls) so i have ordered the fastest and have to wait now until the 4th September before i can get it all working.

Hope it is as good as they are saying.

Anybody on here using BT infinity?

Dunc

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Yip we've had it about a month as ours was rubbish before now it's brilliant, only one glitch is that if my landline rings and I answer it the broadband cuts out , BT say they working on it but the back up not been brilliant , so for now I don't answer my landline! It's only double glazing people anyway ha ha,
YouTube vids load within seconds , so it's money well spent ,

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Im hello slow broadband, switched from virgin media to sky and its noticeably slower, big mistake just to save a few quid a month

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Yip we've had it about a month as ours was rubbish before now it's brilliant, only one glitch is that if my landline rings and I answer it the broadband cuts out , BT say they working on it but the back up not been brilliant , so for now I don't answer my landline! It's only double glazing people anyway ha ha,
YouTube vids load within seconds , so it's money well spent ,
Have you tried swapping the micro filter that is plugged into the socket? I've known faulty micro filters cause this issue.

John

·
Registered
647 Posts
I've got the bt fastest fibre optic broadband and it's great speed I see just over 60mb and 19mb uploaded. Just not the cheapest and bt just downgraded everyone's bt sport unless they pay more the cheeky ******* :(

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Yes I have it and just upgraded my Modem but sorry to say mine is still the same.. Slowish! I was most annoyed to be honest its a lot of money a month to still have go down and slow speed, You would think in this day and age you wouldn't get any issues :smile:

Although I wasn't still in contract it made me laugh to think I had to have another 2 year one to upgrade just the modem....

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Have you tried swapping the micro filter that is plugged into the socket? I've known faulty micro filters cause this issue.
John
well it's funny you say that , that's what by said so we did and no difference , they said they will send an engineer but as yet not seen anyone , so fingers crossed it won't be long, but hardly use landline these days with free mobile calls,

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Yes I have it and just upgraded my Modem but sorry to say mine is still the same.. Slowish! I was most annoyed to be honest its a lot of money a month to still have go down and slow speed, You would think in this day and age you wouldn't get any issues :smile:

Although I wasn't still in contract it made me laugh to think I had to have another 2 year one to upgrade just the modem....
Have you got more than one phone socket with a phone plugged in?

John

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I'm on hyper optic 1 gig but the fastest I've seen is 800 meg, and it can be as low as 400 meg depending on users in my apartment block it's frustrating me it's like having a Bugatti veron that will only do 165 on a clear autobahn lol, going home to my weekender though is a big let down rural country side fastest is 3 meg 4k will be out of the question there, :sad:

·
Premium Member
13,254 Posts
I would be happy with 2mb that would be more than twice what we are currently getting. Been promised fibre optic for nearly nine months. Had people out to look at the problem more times than I can remember. First the road was dug up then a new pole installed then it was decided that the existing cable was too low, that was three weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Have you got more than one phone socket with a phone plugged in?

John
I have 4 sockets and 2 phones plugged in.

Its quite strange as although I am not in contract the slowness always started around the time of the contract starting so I am wondering if they do it deliberately to get you to call them so they can stick you back in contract and give you something new....

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Waiting for cable down my road still. I think Virgin will be the first to put it in, and most people I know seem happy with it.

Also, for people like me still on phone line, don't forget to swap your main phone socket for a BT openreach one, quite cheap online.

I thought it might be BS, but I went from about 4.8 mbps to 6.5 and sometimes touching 7 mbps. I know it seems like a joke compared to cable speeds, but it made a noticeable difference to me. :nice:

Do Virgin have gigabit routers do you know (over wireless) like the BT one? I just bought a NAS but the transfer speeds are painfully slow on the sky router (4.5 mbps). Can't use a wired connection as my main machine is too far away up the stairs etc.

·
Registered
9,812 Posts
I too have had BT Infinity for a couple of years now. Pretty much faultless, the weak point (if any) is the router, they can fail like any other.

·
Super Moderator
BMW 1M
10,784 Posts
The BT fibre is an attractive proposition but I've been put off previously with their abysmal customer service.

There are a couple of examples above that bring back bad memories, so for now I'm sticking with my reliable Sky unlimited LLU which gives me a consistent 14Mbps down/1up.

We have FTC in our area but I'm still a little reluctant to 'upgrade' aftre previous experiences.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts