Focus RS Forum banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Great write up and a great car. I have MR375 and have acquired the Oz Ultra Leggera wheels and the Alcon brakes to fit. Did bigredd apply the Mountune stickers when they refurbished the rear calipers; I think I'll go that route. What rear disks do I need to buy to match the fronts ? How hard is the suspension setup, albeit I don't believe I can still get that from Mountune ... do Bilstein still supply do you know ?

·
Premium Member
Focus RS Mk2 MR375 Clubsport
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Thank you very much! I wasn't sure if the original Mountune rear calipers had 'Mountune' written on them at the time I got mine refurbished, and to be honest I'm not keen on labelling a part with a manufacturer logo if it wasn't by that manufacturer (sticking 'Brembo' logos on non-Brembo brakes for example)...so I never asked or had them. I would be very surprised if they couldn't do that for you though! I was very, very impressed by the job Biggred did and have no hesitation recommending them.
The suspension is very firm, and very jiggly (not a very pro description, sorry), but it's not particularly crashy unless you hit big bumps. I would say it's not uncomfortable but it's certainly not relaxing! Goes around corners like a go-kart tough, it's quite remarkable given the size and weight of the car.
The brakes are absolutely incredible, you are going to love them and I am so chuffed with my wheels. What colours did you go for?

·
Premium Member
10,250 Posts
Wallet weight reduction :lol:
THE best place to spend your money, Fred's customer service beats all... :giggle:
Just a shame it's a bit of drive for me as I'm the other side of London from FJRS but I am tempted to go back and see him for him to fit my proalloy intercooler, mountune downpipe and supply & fit me some Eibachs as my mountune ones corroded... :confused:
Post pictures asap @G.Fraser !! :p :cool: (y)

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
He is an utter legend and properly knows his stuff too. Get yourself over there, I’m the other side of London too, in Oxford! 😆

I will post pics, but I didn’t get that many as it was quite late when everything was done and I didn’t want to hold up Fred and Johnny later than I had to on a Friday, especially on a bank holiday. Here are some I stole from FJRS’ Insta though:

Car Land vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle

Font Automotive exterior Auto part Shotgun Metal

Car Photograph Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
Bit of an update on recent events/changes/tweaks, some quite big (and expensive :cry:) others very small but incredibly satisfying! So, big first, I took the RS to FJRS yesterday primarily to get the Clutch, DMF etc replaced after the odd time that I had found the clutch slipping. I also got them to do the master cylinder while they were messing around with it all. I had found it strange that I couldn't always replicate the slip, and since having the car out of hibernation this spring it's been behaving itself, indeed I was starting to wonder if I was just wasting money on a non-existent fault or driver error. That said, I had always found the clutch pedal suspiciously lighter than I would expect, as I had an RS clutch fitted to my old Mk2 ST at Mountune and that had quite a heavy pedal feel. I am pleased to say that on the drive home the clutch pedal felt much more positive in it's action, and it didn't slip! The pedal is actually a bit easier to operate now and I know the clutch is good now, so hopefully that's that done and dusted. Expensive and annoying, but hey ho.

I had also got booked in to have the rubber strip on the top of the passenger door replaced as the metal of the door has rubbed through it. Unfortunately the wrong part came in, which is a shame, but I'll get that added to the annual service in October.

Photos I've taken of other bits are a bit random as I eft in a hurry yesterday as it was quite late, but here are some of the other things I got done starting with a snazzy FJRS 'beautification plate' (shame they can't do one for my face!). This smartens up the engine bay a bit and they replaced the bolts too.

Being a bit OCD and quite daft, I also got FJRS to replace my rear discs. When I got all the Mountune gear fitted last year I had bought some two piece rear discs from Reyland so that they would match the fronts. Annoyingly I originally ordered them with bobbin type fixings...so I bought a new set of rears that are bolted like the front discs are. Lesson learned there!

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hubcap

Also, when I got all the Mountune stuff fitted I decided against sticking on the Clubsport badge as I thought it looked a bit cluttered. I changed my mind though, as I figured I may as well as all the gear is on, and more is more, right? I wanted the badge fitted and spaced out correctly :)geek:) so I asked Fred to stick it on for me:

Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle registration plate

I finally picked up the spare wheel kit that I bought from @moto last year(!). Very pleased with it and it's reassuring to know I have a spare on board. It's a shame that my Mountune boot carpet no longer fits, but I'm going to make some enquiries to see if I can get it re-trimmed to fit. It can't be that hard for a car upholsterer can it?

Last update, and this is very small and not FJRS related, but for quite some time I had been looking to replace the white iPhone cable I use in my car as it stands out and looks a bit rubbish. I use my phone for Waze, music etc so it's always out. Anyway, I have found nice looking woven grey leads, but the USB plug was always slightly bigger than the original Apple one and I couldn't get the little door over the power socket to shut. I must have bought loads of cables trying to find the right one :rolleyes: Last week I had a brainwave and bought a new lighter socket adapter with USB C, a smart USB C to Lightning cable, thinking this would be shorter. It was, but it still didn't fit! Doing a bit of Googling I found 90º USB C adapters are a 'thing', bought one and now it all works! I'm probably a bit too excited about this but it's taken me ages:LOL:

Hand Peripheral Sleeve Communication Device Gadget

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Grille Automotive tire

Woohoo!
Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

That's it for now. Thank you for making it this far!

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
The suspension is very firm, and very jiggly (not a very pro description, sorry), but it's not particularly crashy unless you hit big bumps. I would say it's not uncomfortable but it's certainly not relaxing! Goes around corners like a go-kart tough, it's quite remarkable given the size and weight of the car.
The brakes are absolutely incredible, you are going to love them and I am so chuffed with my wheels. What colours did you go for?
I have the black Oz Ultra Leggera and the Yellow calipers. I thought I'd get a ClubSport with my brake set, so I'll have to query that with Mountune, as I'd like to have that fitted (correctly) as you did.

I had a 964RS and a RS200 Clio that shook my teeth out; so I'll look carefully at suspecnsion options when I get to that stage. I need to read up on FJRS as I'm in Stratford-upon-Avon and haveJacksons ofHenly-in-Arden by me and understand they are very good Mountune experts as well.

Keep up the Blog :)

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
The black wheels and yellow calipers will
look amazing 👌🏻 If you bought the parts new then you should get a Clubsport badge for each part, ie I bought the brakes, wheels and suspension and got three badges. So yeah, query it and I’m sure Mountune will sort you out 👍🏻

With regard to the suspension, it’s very firm but not shake your teeth out hard. The original RS I had was slammed on some random coilovers and barely felt as if it had any suspension! As I say, the Clubsport suspension is very firm but not uncomfortableand as mine’s a weekend toy I don’t find it a problem at all.

It looks as though Jackson’s are a Mountune Pro dealer, so happy days!

Thank you for the blog encouragement 😊

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
@G.Fraser I've noted you bought the wrong Reyland disks to match the fronts .... but then bought some bolt together items .... could you share what you have please as I'm unsure what rear disks would 'match' the fronts. I'll be getting some rear calipers to have refurbed as you did, then I'll pop the lot over to Jacksons to fit.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I’m going for the same rear set up as you but with j hook discs to match my ap’s on the front. What did you do with the old discs you had ? Also how did you modify the dust shield for when you move the caliper ?

cheers.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts