Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
Focus RS Mk2 MR375 Clubsport
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! A bit overdue but I thought it was time to start a thread on what has turned out to be my second Mk2 Focus RS. I had started a thread previously (see here) on another Mk2 RS which I had won in a Facebook raffle competition, and despite clearly being incredibly lucky, it had a few more miles on it than I was comfortable with plus various other things so I felt it worth selling it and saving a bit more to buy my dream RS. So the RS No.1 was sold in spring 2021 and I purchased my current RS (EO59 ZPF) in June 2021!

The market was (is still?) going bit crazy for these cars and without my previous win, I wouldn't have been in a position to buy any RS at all, so I am really am a very lucky boy to now be an owner. That said, it was frustrating watching the prices go up when I had been keeping an eye on the market for years, and just a few years previously I could've got an even lower mileage car for quite a bit less! Hey ho, not much I could do about that and you can say that about so many cars especially old Fords. Anyway, after a few months of saving and searching I found EO59 ZPF advertised for sale in Bristol with 35k on the clock, 5 previous owners (now 6 as I am a new owner), full service history with all Ford stamps between 2010 and 2020 (except for one at an independent in 2012). I would have been happy with PB or UG but I wasn't fussed about paying a premium for UG, I had previously owned a PB Mk2 ST and loved the car and the colour. It also had my perfect spec, which seemed surprisingly difficult to pin down, which is Lux 1, Dynamica seats and BT/USB. All good, although the number of owners is at the upper end of what I was looking for, I figured it didn't really matter in the end and it averages one owner every two years, I've never owned a car longer than three years myself yet always looked after them. The car was on H&R lowering springs but other than that seemed standard, although the springs suggested to me that it may well have been modified in the past as so many have, but given my plans for it I wasn't too bothered. Anyway, a deal was done and I was soon the proud owner of a Mk2 Focus RS again!

Photos of the car at the dealership:

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

I have long been a Mountune fanatic and so a Mountune spec RS was the ultimate dream, but seemed hugely unlikely given so many of the parts and kits had long been discontinued. However, around the time when I won the first RS (Christmas 2019) Mountune and started taking pre-orders for the discontinued Clubsport items (suspension, brakes and wheels). I was in two minds whether to buy the parts to fit to the first RS, but ultimately I felt that wasn't the right car. So once that car was sold I was in the tricky situation of wondering do I fork out for all of the Clubsport gear while available, even though I don't actually own a car? I decided I had to really, as if I missed the opportunity I would be forever kicking myself. So I went ahead and ordered along with a plenum, roll restrictor, recirc valve and various other bits with a plan to buy a equivalent parts (Pro Alloy intercooler, Milltek exhaust) for what was no longer available, and get FJRS to supply a fuel pump and install the MR375 map. So it wouldn't be 'proper' Mountune spec, but I would have the power and the Clubsport gear, so happy days :)

But there was another amazing stroke of luck and another turn in the tale! I had purchased a set of black Mountune exhaust tips off of FB marketplace, with a view to attaching them to the Milltek exhaust to at least get the Mountune look. However, I really preferred the stainless steel ones so I thought 'sod it', and put an optimistic wanted ad on FB for the steel tips and I received a reply from a chap saying he had a full Mountune exhaust system! I honestly thought he was a scammer and ignored the message, but after a few days of mulling it over I thought I had to follow it up in case he was genuine. It turned out the guy was returning a low mileage UG Mk2 with full MR375 kit to standard to sell on. After a few more questions it turned out he had all the Mountune parts for MR375, the intercooler, air box, full exhaust and even the fuel pump! He also had a x4 induction kit was another bonus! I sent photos of all the kit to Fred Clack (legend) at FJRS who confirmed that all of the parts were genuine, a deal was struck and the seller even dropped all of the parts at FJRS for me as they were based in Essex! When I placed the ad for the exhaust tips I was literally just about to place an order for a brand new Milltek exhaust, so for all of these parts to land in my lap was just incredibly fortunate and I am still pinching myself.

Photos of the Mountune parts:

Auto part Tool Gun accessory Composite material Metal

Super geeky fact, the intercooler is an early one as it has a FoMoCo serial number so technically it's an RS500 item!

Gadget Audio equipment Font Electronic device Carbon

The real test for the car was to come after a trip to FJRS as I wanted Fred to inspect the car and check I hadn't bought a duffer, as well as fit all the parts. While I waited on my installation day I made some little cosmetic changes like replacing the wing mirror indicator covers which had discoloured, all of the RS badges as they had faded plus some fancy new number plates:

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Having gone for yellow Mountune brake calipers I bought some used rear calipers and got them refurbished by Biggred and painted in yellow to match. They did a really fantastic job.

Before:
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Wood

After:
Product Automotive design Rectangle Font Material property

So on 23rd August 2021 I made the trip over to FJRS with the RS stacked full of parts (impressive luggage capacity with seats folded down) to get everything installed (photos from a test loading to check it would all fit!):

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Car seat cover Vehicle

During the week of installation FJRS and Mountune released a few teaser pics on Instagram etc which was pretty exciting at the time. I don't think they are getting many RSs coming though the doors any more getting a full suite of Mountune parts fitted, indeed Fred suggested that it is quite likely the last full Mountune spec MR375 with full Clubsport setup that they'll do. Never say never I suppose, but that's quite cool to think that about the car. Also, Fred gave the car the thumbs up condition wise and reckoned I'd found a good one, great news and a bit of a relief!

Here are some pictures from the build:
Watch Wheel White Automotive tire Light

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
A few more photos from the build and when completed!

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Auto part Machine

Helmet Automotive tire Automotive design Rim Motorcycle helmet

I bought a pair fo floating rear discs from Reyland to match the fronts, but I ordered the wrong ones! An expensive mistake :/ I have since ordered some bolted two piece rears which I will get fitted when the car comes out of hibernation along with some other work:

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

Car Blue Vehicle Hood Light

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Needless to say, the drive home was an absolute blast. The car is totally transformed and feels even better than I had hoped!

At Ford Power Live 2021, my first show with it. I took my 10 year old son along and we had a great time, it's a nice show that one:

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

...and as of today all tucked up in the garage on a trickle charger ready for March when I will get her out of hibernation:

Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Grey

So as over the moon as I am with the car, it's not all been plain sailing. Just before its service in October I notice a coolant leak that turned out to be the radiator. I got FJRS to replace this at service time, but it wasn't cheap! I was surprised. I also got them to replace the coolant header tank while the system was drained, just to start tidying up the engine bay a bit. I have also had a slight slip of the clutch on occasion when absolutely booting it, which was also unexpected. But I will get the clutch, DMF etc replaced at FJRS in March and then hopefully that'll sort that out, but nevertheless a few expensive repairs soon into ownership, but at least I know these parts are nice and fresh for me and I should get some decent miles from them. Oh, I replaced a dodgy parking sensor too.

New radiator with a nice shiny new radiator support as I noticed that the old one looked a bit crusty on the FJRS build photos:
Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Car Motor vehicle

I have already booked a place on the club stand at Ford Fair and booked a track slot too! So we'll find out then how she performs then :) Other than that, the paint work is in decent condition although it has had paint in the past. I am very fussy and have spotted some little things here and there when I have washed the car. I am unsure whether to just take it to a detailer and get it all polished up, whether to get a bit of paint done in local areas, or bite the bullet and save for a re-spray to get an amazing finish, but this feels a pretty nuclear option. Given much of the cost of this car was covered by what I sold RS No1 for, I don't really mind too much painting the car to get it spot on. Anyway, something that I am mulling over and I am in no rush. I'm just looking forward to spring coming round and getting some proper miles on the old girl!

Thank you for your patience if you read all that! I will update the thread with bits and bobs over my time with the car and I hope we all get some RS fun times in 2022!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Cheers Gareth! Yeah I was Googling the other day and had seen that the car had been on RSOC in the past. I think NitrousSi may have been the second owner in around 2010-2011, and 'james pimlico' was the first. Neither have been on the forum for many years though, but I dropped NitrousSi a message in case he picks it up. Looking back through his posts he had tracked the car a few times and it had a new gearbox under warranty at Rates Ford. Slightly unusual but a bit of a bonus getting a fresh gearbox to be honest, might explain the worn clutch though! :LOL: The gearbox feels great, in fact I had thought it might feel slightly agricultural like my Mk2 ST gearbox did, but it's super slick!:)

·
Premium Member
30,003 Posts
Cheers Gareth! Yeah I was Googling the other day and had seen that the car had been on RSOC in the past. I think NitrousSi may have been the second owner in around 2010-2011, and 'james pimlico' was the first. Neither have been on the forum for many years though, but I dropped NitrousSi a message in case he picks it up. Looking back through his posts he had tracked the car a few times and it had a new gearbox under warranty at Rates Ford. Slightly unusual but a bit of a bonus getting a fresh gearbox to be honest, might explain the worn clutch though! :LOL: The gearbox feels great, in fact I had though it might feel slightly agricultural like my Mk2 ST gearbox did, but it's super slick!:)
Yeah, you could be right about being the 2nd owner. Long time ago now!! 😁

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, forgot to add. One recent job was fitting a new radio after the original one broke when I was loading it with CDs (yes I still like CDs :LOL: ), ordered a new one and it's all working like a charm! The only thing is I get a message on the radio display saying 'Unconfigured Mode' when you switch it on. All the functionality is there, but I believe someone might have to plug in a computer to program the Audio Control Module to the new radio as it may not have come out of a Focus. It's not really an issue but something to sort at some point.

I forgot to take a photo after I had fitted it...

White Tableware Font Finger Gadget

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers Paul, really appreciate that and deffo had some considerable luck. I had planned to get an RS when my ST is paid off in another 4 years, but to be honest the way things are going I am unsure how likely that would have been. Without the win I absolutely wouldn't have a Mk2 RS in the garage today, and to have the full Mountune spec as well is just the icing on the cake :)

We go back quite a way in Mk2 world and I appreciate all the chats and advice you've given over the years. As it happens, I may soon be getting my hands on a couple of bits that used to be in your epic EO Mk2 ST! Doubly cool as a few of the Mountune bits like the Mountune gear gaiter, knob and some mats that I kept from my beloved Mk2 ST (EJ60 AZR, where are you now?) are now in the RS. They all live on lol!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Remember seeing this build on insta and thinking wow (y)
I myself have just got my 2nd rs and am hoping to end up MR375 and full clubsport 👌
Ah nice one, cheers! I hope you manage to get all the bits, how are you getting on? I did see someone was selling MR375 parts on here not long after I got the upgrades on mine, so they must come up from time to time!

·
Registered
9,233 Posts
Ah nice one, cheers! I hope you manage to get all the bits, how are you getting on? I did see someone was selling MR375 parts on here not long after I got the upgrades on mine, so they must come up from time to time!
Luckily my car is already MP350 plus plenum and cat back so all i need is the 3in downpipe, 200 cell sports cat, and anti loosen bolts from milltek and uprated recirc valve and the Mtune (y)
Got the front brakes so need to source some rear callipers to have them painted and source matching rear discs
Can still get the suspension from bilstein
Waiting for the ultras to come back into stock
Also trying to find the mountune gearknob/gaiter and X4 but no luck so far

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ah brilliant so you’ve got most of the really hard bits then, you’re nearly there! I’d have happily sold you my old rear calipers but I flogged them as soon as I got the upgrades done to recoup some cash. The rear calipers I bought to get painted (see my photo earlier) I found on Facebook market place fairly quickly.
As it happens, I might know of a gear gaiter a mate might be selling soon, not sure if he’s got a Mountune gear knob too, but I’ll ask for you (y)

·
Registered
9,233 Posts
Ah brilliant so you’ve got most of the really hard bits then, you’re nearly there! I’d have happily sold you my old rear calipers but I flogged them as soon as I got the upgrades done to recoup some cash. The rear calipers I bought to get painted (see my photo earlier) I found on Facebook market place fairly quickly.
As it happens, I might know of a gear gaiter a mate might be selling soon, not sure if he’s got a Mountune gear knob too, but I’ll ask for you (y)
Cheers mate this is the one i want
Tire Automotive tire Yellow Automotive wheel system Tread

1 - 20 of 102 Posts