Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always run our Mk 2 RS on super unleaded; but was curious if anyone knew whether the 2.3 ecoboost engine will require super unleaded, or will be happy to run on standard unleaded.

·
Super Moderator
1,698 Posts
I've always run our Mk 2 RS on super unleaded; but was curious if anyone knew whether the 2.3 ecoboost engine will require super unleaded, or will be happy to run on standard unleaded.
I imagine that an engine this advanced will have a knock sensor (as does the mk2) meaning it will run happily on either 95 or 97+.

The mk1 FRS did not have this sensor and had to run on 97+ and was a pain in the ****, especially when in the continent in my experience..

·
Registered
433 Posts
What Super unleaded did the Mk2 prefer ? I know mappers for Scoobies always recommend Shell VPower instead of BP or Tesco.

·
Premium Member
13,250 Posts
What Super unleaded did the Mk2 prefer ? I know mappers for Scoobies always recommend Shell VPower instead of BP or Tesco.
Well over the years I tried just about every premium fuel on the market and for real sparkle performance wise I was suprised that Tesco Momentum was noticeably better. Engine runs smoother and quieter on V-Power though so I tend to fill twice with Tesco then once with V-Power.

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
It will be the cheapest super unleaded I can find for me, supermarket stuff powered my Mk2 along just fine.

·
Premium Member
5,685 Posts
I've no issue with Shell Nitro but generally have run the last few performance cars off Momentum - the only thing we try and do is use Shell's Diesel for the 330d rather than the Tesco stuff which isn't enhanced in the way Momentum is (blended ethanol by Greenergy etc)

·
Registered
957 Posts
Most fuel is good enough for everyday normal driving. It's when your caning foot mashed to the floor is when the trouble starts. It runs lean and melts a piston.

·
Super Moderator
BMW 1M
10,782 Posts
Most fuel is good enough for everyday normal driving. It's when your caning foot mashed to the floor is when the trouble starts. It runs lean and melts a piston.
That's a strange statement - the ECU is quite a clever thing.

·
Registered
957 Posts
That's a strange statement - the ECU is quite a clever thing.
Tell that to all the ECUs of the Jap import's of the Subaru and Evos that melted piston's (where I'm from anyhow) due to the lower Octane fuel used. Anyone who drove sensibly never had an issue just the ones who held teir foot to the floor for a period of time.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Tell that to all the ECUs of the Jap import's of the Subaru and Evos that melted piston's (where I'm from anyhow) due to the lower Octane fuel used. Anyone who drove sensibly never had an issue just the ones who held teir foot to the floor for a period of time.
Thats cause they were all using a cherry mixture smuggled across the border :smile:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts