Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

did the cars come with 3 keys from new? was it 2 x keyless fobs and a Master Green Key?

is it an issue buying a car with only 2 keys? would this affect the insurance since there is another car out there with a key?

does it make any difference which key is missing?

what does the green key do?

can you get missing keys cancelled/deprogrammed?

Thanks!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahhh ok. Sure someone said they come with a green master key. Maybe not then.

Cheers guys

So how much of an issue is it if it doesn't come with one or the other?

·
Premium Member
23,437 Posts
Ahhh ok. Sure someone said they come with a green master key. Maybe not then.

Cheers guys

So how much of an issue is it if it doesn't come with one or the other?
The grey key really has no use tbh as it hasn't got a chip in it, so although it will unlock the car, it wont prevent the alarm going off & wont start the car. So, if that one is missing, not too much of an issue.

If a fob is missing, a new one can be programmed, but i'd be more worried about who has the other, i'd be inclined to get the whole lot changed.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep that is a bit of a worry. What's involved? Can you just get the missing fob disabled?

Or reprogram existing with a different code to make any lost existing ones redundant?

Or hardware replacement?

Anyone know costs involved?

·
Premium Member
3,655 Posts
No idea of what's involved but I can't see it being cheap, particularly if Ford are involved. Probably easier to find a car that's being sold with all three keys... ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ford charge about £200-220 for a replacement keyless entry key.

If you find anywhere that will do it for less then let me know because I need one.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Funnily enough I was at a Locksmiths trade show last week. A good locksmith can cut you a new key and provide a fob and clone your existing one. I saw it being done. The physical cutting takes longer than the cloning. Simple.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
I wouldn't buy a car with a missing key. Not only for the reasons Gareth pointed out but it's poor ownership in my view. I keep receipts for battery changes for the key fobs let alone lose a key.

If the car is one you adore and there's a genuine reason for the lost key you could buy it and get a new one issued/programmed from Ford which would be less expensive than changing all three (but of course you'd need to ring Ford to verify that) and add a Clifford or Viper to it so it can't be started should that missing key surface and someone comes for the car afterwards.

But there are loads of RSs, so it would have to be something of special car to be the one for me, but that's where the contradiction comes in my mind, why wouldn't you keep them safe or at least get a spare sorted out before you sold it if it was that special to you?

Now I've just got to remember where I put my spare keys ... :laughing:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.